Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just want to know what you guys would like to see in the new generation of the Ford Escape. Here's a few things I'd like to see changed/upgraded:

1) Informing and displaying which tire has low tire pressure instead of just saying "tire pressure low."

2) FOLDING SIDE MIRRORS

3) Rain sensing wipers

4) Interior quality could be a tad better.

5) Better gas mileage

6) Folding and sliding back seat

7) Possible 3rd row option (might be asking for too much but doesn't the RAV4 offer it?)

8) I'd like to see the orange/amber turn light on the taillight.

9) Sidemarker lights

10) HID HeadLights (maybe a modification but it would look hot standard or optional)

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I like your Numbers 1,2,4,5,6,9 and 10 optional.

I would also like an optional manual transmission with either motor.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I'm on the fence about #4. I dig how it's still a utility vehicle and not so much a car-like vehicle...

Don't care much for 3, 6, 7, or 9 though. The Escape's not big enough for the sliding seat or the third-row. The third-row would be possible at the expense of a much smaller gas tank.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'd like to see a transition back toward it's small SUV roots and less toward the new crossover styling and lack of ruggedness.

Like the others I'd like a manual transmission option regardless of engine.

I'd also like a 2-speed transfer case, adding 4x4 LO and while I'm at it, why not a locking rear diff, the X-terra has it in the Off Road package, why not a off road Escape package, something that can take on a Jeep and come out on top. The Escape is sort of the Grandson of the Bronco, and if I was Grandpa I'd be ashamed.

I like #'s 2 and 4, the rest are not as significant features to me.

I want an overall beefing up, return to the NBX attitude that the Escape is a capable adventure vehicle that is as home in town as it is off road.

But overall I think Ford will continue to take all the masculinity away from this vehicle as it attempts to please those people who live in the city and never see an unpaved road, want AWD for when it looks like it might snow, and are worried about creature comforts more than durability, ruggedness, and good engineering.

·
Registered
178 Posts
1) Yes, and have it read the pressure, not just "low" warning.

2) The mirrors on my 2009 do fold in to avoid breaking. They don't fold flush. That's not something I really care about.

3) I have rain sensing eyes that instruct my left hand to switch on the wipers. I test drove a Lexus and the wipers came on twice during the ride, and there was no rain.

4) I guess interior quality could always be better. I'd definitely improve the cloth seat material.

5) They might be able to tweak a little better gas mileage out of the Escape, but to really make a difference would require an all new engine, perhaps the turbocharged 2-liter that is supposed to be out soon.

6) Yes, excellent suggestion.

7) Escape is way too short to do a 3rd row correctly. I don't want it.

8) I'd like factory LED taillights.

9) I like the wrap-around front and rear lights.

10) I'd like an HID option. Installing aftermarket HID never works quite like a factory install.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'd like an anti-theft system like this..

:)P

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol that video is hilarious.

I know some of these are not necessary....but living in new york city, you really do need folding mirrors. people love double parking and trucks love going down narrow one way streets and won't hesitate to take your mirror with them.

it would be nice to know which tire pressure is low. my bros 2008 honda pilot tells him which tire it is at least.

gas mileage can be a bit better...maybe that new 2.0 turbo engine you're talking about may be just what we need, and i would love new headlights...especially HID....sidemarkers are hot. maybe put LED taillights? also, make the spoiler part of the vehicle instead of an add on (like the new explorer).

make it look a bit rounder. wrap around taillights...maybe a bit longer that extends through the trunk...(like thenew lincoln mkx). my brother has a 2008 honda pilot and my friend has a 2004 nissan xterra. both have cloths seats and the cushion is so soft and comfortable...especially in the front seats. the escapes seats are pretty hard and the walls or interior side of the doors are extremely hard.

last but not least...i had first owned a 2005 ford escape limited 4WD gold ash and i had the mach3000 oem radio...it read the name of the songs that played on the radio. my friends 04 nissan xterra does it. mine '10 escape xlt only does it for songs on satellite radio. i wish it could do it for songs that come on the radio

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
For your radio-text issue, did you turn on RDS? My radio does it. I don't know why yours wouldn't. Around here, some stations do it and some just read the station name.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Here is what I'd like to see in a future Escape:
box frame
deeper bucket seats in the front
2 speed transfer case
full size spare tire and rear spare tire mount
larger wheel wells
metal skid plate rather then plastic
inside option for roll cage
i make these recommendations because a lot of people I know use the "E" to camp with and do light off-road exploration. Why not make an SUV that can be closer to the Bronco II but much more comfortable?
:rockon: :rockon: :wave:
is the Escape no longer being discontinued?
that would make more sense then the KUGO in my opinion.

·
Registered
443 Posts
More head room and i'd buy one. maybe a manual transmission would be good.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tang said:
For your radio-text issue, did you turn on RDS? My radio does it. I don't know why yours wouldn't. Around here, some stations do it and some just read the station name.
What exactly is that rds and how can I enable or look for it?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
RDS stands for Radio Data System. Here are the 1st two paragraphs for the Wikipedia entry:
---------------------------------------------------

Radio Data System, or RDS, is a communications protocol standard for embedding small amounts of digital information in conventional FM radio broadcasts. The RDS system standardises several types of information transmitted, including time, station identification and programme information.

Radio Broadcast Data System (RBDS) is the official name used for the U.S. version of RDS. The two standards are only slightly different.

---------------------------------------------------
Not sure how you turn it on/off in the newer Escapes though. I would figure there would be an entry in the menus somewhere. Have you tried looking it up in your manual?

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Power lumbar in both the passenger and driver seats and they need to bring back the oh sh*t bars. A necessity for when my hubby is driving. :yes: Luckily there is one on the passenger side of my Mariner! :thumb:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would really like to see a turbo diesel engine in these things with manual and automatic.......I know some people would say yeah but the diesel is expensive and bla bla bla... but the torque,the MPG and durability of a diesel is much much higher then a gasser.
And a better 4x4 i think.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Colleen said:
.... and they need to bring back the oh sh*t bars. A necessity for when my hubby is driving. :yes: Luckily there is one on the passenger side of my Mariner! :thumb:
Yeah I forgot that one, I drove an 09 Escape and that was my first gripe, my '01 has one on the pillar and one over the door on both driver and passenger sides, and I'm over 6' tall so I use them for support when I get out.

The Escape is about the smallest vehicle I need, I'd never want to have a car for an everyday driver, I couldn't get in and out of it, or at least do so with any dignity.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
jc_slick said:
Tang said:
If you go through the Menu screens where you could tune and bass and treble, one of the menus is "RDS ON/OFF". Use the wheel to choose ON and I'm about 110% certain it should start streaming whatever text the radio station chooses.

You'll know its on when either TEXT or RDS shows up on the screen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tang said:
jc_slick said:
Tang said:
If you go through the Menu screens where you could tune and bass and treble, one of the menus is "RDS ON/OFF". Use the wheel to choose ON and I'm about 110% certain it should start streaming whatever text the radio station chooses.

You'll know its on when either TEXT or RDS shows up on the screen.
It worked. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts