Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '09 ford escape XLS for three months now. She's equipped with the 4 cyl engine. It runs better than I thought! surprising little motor. Anywhow, as I've been calculating fuel mileage, and far away from anything that could be considered 20mpg city (I'm around the 14-16mpg range, I do mostly city driving) I feel as though I haven't been aggressive with he throttle, so I don't understand the low mpg's. What would you guys recommend as far as improvement on this front? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
:confused:

We get over 20 mpg in our city driving. Really, suburban and very little downtown driving. But it is stop and go. :shrug:

Open road we get over 30 mpg no matter what! :bill:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sounds like someone is using the gas like an on/off switch. I get 23-25 mpg average and most of my driving is around town. As far as upgrades there are a few you can do to make the truck unique. I just got a 2010 3 weeks ago and already grabbed rubber floor mats, mudflaps, rear cargo slider and my receiver hitch. I have been looking at a billet style lower grill but not sure if the 2010 is any different than the 2009 for fit. Really I am excited to drive it as is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine knocks down 27MPG commuting to and from work, however my commute is 23 miles and has some highway. Of all the stuff I did to improve mileage, the only one that showed significant gains was regapping my plugs down to .045, however this helped highway mileage more than city.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I have the, mazda 2.3 litre engine in escape.
Getting respectable fuel economy.
But then, it relates to my driving style.

The tires are balanced and wheel aligned.
It is kept serviced regularly.
Currently using "Iridium" plugs. Not sure, if the plugs make a difference.

I coast gently to a stop.
My acceleration is steady.
In country ranges, the best economy is achieved at 100Kmh.
This is on the highways.

Everyone has a different driving style.
You mentioned 09 Ford Escape.
Maybe because the car is new.

My escape is an 06 , with mazda 2.3 litre engine.
When it was new, my economy was less.
I noticed the benefits, while running motor in.

Now that my engine is older, the fuel economy has improved significantly.
Could it be my engine, is an odd one out of the batch?.
Have asked the service tech about that.

The mechanic commented it is possible.
He explained that engines, will not be exactly the same.
It can happen that a motor, will have something unique to it.

There can be variations in power, also including economy.
I have owned ford sedans previously.
This is my first experience, with "MAZDA" technology.
I am impressed with ,mazdas four cylinder expertise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
jas88 said:
Mine knocks down 27MPG commuting to and from work, however my commute is 23 miles and has some highway. Of all the stuff I did to improve mileage, the only one that showed significant gains was regapping my plugs down to .045, however this helped highway mileage more than city.
is yours an I-4 or V6??

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have the issue of "not being able to drive like a granny". There has to be a support group for me somewhere? :bang:

The best I could ever muster out of my 2.3 07 fwd was 25.5. That was 1 rare time on highway -- with a wind behind me. I had AT tires -- which made a difference. On the 2.3, I really go the same MPG on City/Highway. Out on the road, it barely had enough power to pull itself -- especially if there was wind or hills. Thus, the average mileage.

I have gotten 24.5 on my current 3.0 4wd, so I'm happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts