Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Sounds cool.

All the usual questions come into play though.

How long do plan on keeping your Mav?

Is that long enough to pay off the cost and start to see some savings in fuel?

Are there local places to get the LP gas?

Doe sit come with or void any warranties?

Local emissions issues?

Alternative fuels are really becoming popular so there will be alot more of these ideas coming soon I bet.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surfscape said:
Sounds cool.

All the usual questions come into play though.

How long do plan on keeping your Mav?

Is that long enough to pay off the cost and start to see some savings in fuel?

Are there local places to get the LP gas?

Doe sit come with or void any warranties?

Local emissions issues?

Alternative fuels are really becoming popular so there will be alot more of these ideas coming soon I bet.
Put into perspective:
I go to my Scottish home about 8 X a year on average, (a round trip of approx 1200 miles)
I go to London approx 5 X a year on average, (a round trip of approx 500 miles)
So thats a yearly mileage of 10300, without including going to / from work, daytrips etc
Even just taking into account my "fixed" mileage, I would save approx £300 a year :yahoo: .
I intend to keep the Maverick for another 3 years at least, so I would probably end up in pocket, but it's a close run thing.
The other advantage is that I'd get cheaper car tax each year, no London congestion charge, and going by other mavericks for sale here, would increase its value by £800 to £1000.
Hmm, the grey cells are working overtime on this.... -\/- -\/-

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
I would worry about the warranty issue myself.

From an emissions point of view, I believe that LPG is cleaner than gas (burns cleaner, it is already gaseous when it gets into the engine) so it should help you.

It sounds like you have considered all of the angles, so....................... :roll:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good thing you don't have the 3.0L V6 as they cant run on gas :(

I think you might get a bit more power out of the engine as gas burns better ;)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Don't be swayed by the congestion charge savings. Apparently, Ken Livi............ Sorry, I can't even put his name to the page, incase i pummel my keyboard to death..... Apparently, the London Mayor is going to revoke the free congestion charge for dual fuel vehicles..... :BB2 :rant: :mad: :/:/ :spank:

I think it's a worthwhile exercise if.

A. There are LPG filling stations near you.
B. You don't mind losing your spare wheel, as that's where most LPG tanks are located.
C. Your fuel savings and length of car ownership outweigh the cost of installation (and it sounds like it does in your instance).

·
Registered
464 Posts
When I looked into it a few years back, the conversion place told me that it isn't possible on the Ford 3.0L as it has a plastic inlet manifold. If you get a back-fire it will turn the manifold to confetti. This is just what i've been told, im not sure how correct it is :roll:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Chris said:
Don't be swayed by the congestion charge savings. Apparently, Ken Livi............ Sorry, I can't even put his name to the page, incase i pummel my keyboard to death..... Apparently, the London Mayor is going to revoke the free congestion charge for dual fuel vehicles..... :BB2 :rant: :mad: :/:/ :spank:

I think it's a worthwhile exercise if.

A. There are LPG filling stations near you.
B. You don't mind losing your spare wheel, as that's where most LPG tanks are located.
C. Your fuel savings and length of car ownership outweigh the cost of installation (and it sounds like it does in your instance).
You really don't like K :censor: weasel slimy toadface :censor: stone, do you!!!!!!! :hyst: :hyst:
Yes, the local ASDA store to me, about 1/2 mile away, at Leeds has 4 LPG pumps, as does the vast majority of supermarket petrol stations in this area, as indeed up in Scotland there are plenty ( on an aside, petrol at Morrisons store in Fort William is 3p/litre cheaper than in Leeds!! :cuss: .
The spare wheel, a nasty spacesaver type, can go in my trailer, as I normally tow that with my son's 4X4 if we go any distance, so that isn't a problem.
Its getting very tempting to proceed, just the cost issue that is putting me off at the mo. -\/- :doh: :lol:
:)^

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
With the miles you do, you'll save money in the long run.

I do very few miles, so i'd have to have the car for bloody ages before reaping the rewards. I wouldn't want to lose my spare either. I'd probably get a meaty roof rack and put a full size spare in it (Bolted down of course) make it look like one of those camel trophy defenders. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Several people where I live have converted their vehicles to LPG. Mostly older vehicles though.

Some of the draw backs I have heard about... less power, there is not as much energy in LPG and everyone I've spoke too says they do have less power.

In very cold weather, (we can get -30 to -40 in the winter) LPG engines are very difficult to start in cold weather. So everyone switches to regular fuel just before shutting the engine off, and use regular fuel to start the engine.After it warms up, flip the switch over to LPG.

When you get it installed, put up a post, let us know how it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, 3 years ago I bought that 2001 3.0 l Tribute (37.000 miles) and a let a lpg set built in.
Now it counts 113.000 miles. and it's still running fine.
Here in Netherlands benzine costs € 1,50 a liter, lpg € 0,60
It runs normally 16 mpg, but now the a/c is defect I get 17,5 mpg
I don't know the mileage per gallon on benzine, the car uses that only to start and warm the engine beforore it switches automatically to lpg.

Kind regards,
Sjaak

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!!!

Do you know who manufactures that conversion kit, and do you have the model/part number?

There's a lot of talk in the US about conversion to CNG.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Big Chris said:
Tribby said:
Good thing you don't have the 3.0L V6 as they cant run on gas
Are you sure? We've been told they can convert any petrol car to LPG, and that it's only diesels that can't be converted. -\/-
That's what I was thinking, diesels have too much compression. :yes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The lpg kit in my Trib is manufactured by Italia, type Easyjet
http://www.autogasitalia.it/db/prodotto ... ng&id=2773

It is installed in my car by a company specialized in lpg installation, sept 2005, costs € 2200,-

In netherlands you pay much road-tax, for a Trib on benzine (or petrol in usa) that's € 67,- per month, for my Trib I pay € 134,-
I drive each year about 40.000 km = 25.000 miles, so that investment pays itself back :yes:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Where do you keep the LPG tank?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts