Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case this is a non-hybrid part I'll post on here & GH.

So I decided to self rotate my tires this morning after work (it's loooong over due), and glad I had a breaker bar as the impact wrench only removed 5 lugnuts.
Anyway, the pass side has this part that appears to be leaking, looks to wet to be joint grease, but I didn't touch it as I have more non-car work in a few hours. I don't think it the lower control arm, it's to far to the rear for that, but it looks connected to the arm.

so here's the pics, sorry if they are crappy, I took them with my new LG Rumore Touch (Just found out VIrgin has plans for $25/mo, 300min unlimited data).

While were at it, what's the verticle 'bone' looking part here that looks like it's connected to the strut & lower arm:

And seriously?! Cardboard!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
1/The weeping part is the lower arm bushing.It has nothing that will drip off it.Is it oil dripping, coolant, or water?Whatever fluid it is, it is dripping from higher up.Could it be just water condensation fro the air-conditioner?
2/That bone looking thing is the anti-roll link bar which is attached to the strut and the anti-roll bar.
3/The card-board? I think it was there to protect the boot of the tie rod while the car came out of the plant and the dealer forgot to take it off when the car was prepared for delivery to the new owner.
4/From the pictures I noticed that the bushings of the anti-roll bar need replacement.There are two of them, cheap and extremely easy to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
SUVord said:
1/The weeping part is the lower arm bushing.It has nothing that will drip off it.Is it oil dripping, coolant, or water?Whatever fluid it is, it is dripping from higher up.Could it be just water condensation fro the air-conditioner?
2/That bone looking thing is the anti-roll link bar which is attached to the strut and the anti-roll bar.
3/The card-board? I think it was there to protect the boot of the tie rod while the car came out of the plant and the dealer forgot to take it off when the car was prepared for delivery to the new owner.
4/From the pictures I noticed that the bushings of the anti-roll bar need replacement.There are two of them, cheap and extremely easy to be replaced.
1 & 2 - SPOT ON :thumb:
3 - That is a insulator for the the half shaft boot. Dont take it off its for the exhaust manifold heat, so it does not burn threw the boot
4 - Replacment easy -YES - is it time to replace - uhhh maybe / but probably not

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ok Oskerb, now I'm totally lost with that "heat shield".Should it not be made of aluminum if it was meant to be permanent?One thing for sure is that extreme manifold temperatures do damage these boots as well as the inner boots of the half-shafts.
Don't let any sand get in your eyes.
All the best,
SUVord

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, It looked more water consististy than grease, but so does brake fluid (Tranny fluid on the eCVT??).
It's definantly NOT rain water or car wash, it hasn't rained here since like June! :(
Just checked again (5 hrs later) and it's not crying anymore, just looks a little damp on top.

Possibly AC runoff, altho it was only 68ish on my drive home, but I had the Climate control set to AC & 70, so could have been dehumidifing.

Glad to know it's nothing serious, just rolled over 36k this week.

I think the brake fluid is driver side, we don't have PS fluid now do we? Didn't check the coolant tanks, need to do that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SUVord said:
Ok Oskerb, now I'm totally lost with that "heat shield".Should it not be made of aluminum if it was meant to be permanent?One thing for sure is that extreme manifold temperatures do damage these boots as well as the inner boots of the half-shafts.
All the best,
SUVord
I was thinking something temporary too, until I noticed the factory plug/bolt things holding it down :confused: Plastic, metal, you'd think anything under the car would be water resistant, not cardboard!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
its weird that they didnt make it out of something more permanent, but if its washed off you can see that it has a foil finish and the cardboard is a hard plastic.
SUVord said:
All the best,
SUVord

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
oskerb said:
its weird that they didnt make it out of something more permanent, but if its washed off you can see that it has a foil finish and the cardboard is a hard plastic.
Amazing!! The things you learn from Iraq!!!
A foil finish-hard plastic card board. :taz:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Wow I didn't realize Ford changed the subframe and bushing for the stabilizer bar. just noticed that in your pictures. My 04 has a different bushing and the subframe is flat where the bushing is mounted.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
oskerb said:
SUVord said:
All the best,
SUVord
I got to say you are good with these trucks. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.