Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my oil changed the other day and they charged me extra for 5w20 because they dont get it shipped in the barel anymore. Just wondered what everyone uses, and if it's alright to change to 5w30 or 10w30 since it's what i used in my other cars.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
How "north of Hockeytown" are you?

I buy 0W-30 Petro Canada Synthetic in bulk, by the case. Works out to about $22/jug for full synthetic, much cheaper than Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec. The PC synthetic is very much a "sleeper" oil.

5W-30 doesn't do too well if you see temperatures as low as -30'C (no windchill). In Toronto or another big city with warmer temperatures, it will be fine. Conventional 10W-30 is out of the question for winter; some synthetics do perform well enough for big city temperatures.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It's weird. The oil cap says 5W20, but the owners handbook actually says 5W30! :confused:

I've topped up using 5W30 before with no ill effects. I leave my oil changes to the yearly service at the Ford dealer (I only do around 5,000 miles a year, hence not changing it more often). I guess they use 5W20 but I couldn't be sure.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live pretty much in the middle of Michigan. 5w30 gets put in the Pontiac Vibe, just wondered if the Escape really needs 5w20.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Doesn't really need 5W-20, although most 5W-20s are more robust than 5W-30s. A 5W-30 might shear down to 5W-20 levels by the time you change your oil.

Do you ever see temperatures below -22'F? If so, I would switch to a 0W- oil.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, supose to be getting a cold area coming in though some of the coldest air of the season. But even with that it will probably be around 15F

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Wingsfan said:
Looks like they changed the forcast Thursday and Friday 5F-7F :frozen:
Oh boo-hoo, Thursday's low here is -22 F and Friday is -20 F. :tease:

:frozen: :frozen:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
If you like to catch snowflakes in your mouth, all you need to do is spit into the wind. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Same here I have always wondered what kind of oil to use. I know that the dealer uses 5w20...hell I had a coupon to get a $10 oil change the other day so I took them up on that offer ;)

Anyways could I use something that is more common? I know Jiffy Lube charges extra for my vehicle because of the difference in oil. Here in Indiana very rarely do we see absolute temperature below 0 degrees farenheit. Maybe 2-3x a year IF that.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
5W-30 is the most popular oil and won't cause any problems, although you might notice slightly less mileage.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i use 5w20 shell in mine. i did notice a little difference in my mileage when i went from pennzoil to the shell. also use shell 93 octane in mine as well.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Abide, do you have an Xcal to utilize the 93 octane?? If you don't I HIGHLY suggest you do. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I've been using Moble One 5w20 however last oil change dealer didn't have any so I went to 10w30 I don't think it'll make that much difference :lol:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Abide, do you have an Xcal to utilize the 93 octane?? If you don't I HIGHLY suggest you do. You won't regret it!
what is an Xcal?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
5W-30 or 10W-30 is OK if it doesn't get too far below 32*F. I think it maybe a little on the thick side for extended periods below 0*F. Just my opinion. :peace:

Ford used 5W-20 and recommends it as that is easier to get the engine past the emissions warmup cycle on the EPA testing. Less pollutants at cold startup temperatures. So, they have to recommend it. :angel:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts