Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I dont post here much, but I've come across a problem that me and my dad are trying to find a way around. If this is in the wrong area please move it. But sorry if it is. haha

First of I want to say, this does not have to do with a escape problem. It has to do with a 2006 accord problem.

My dads accord been giving him problems since he picked it up new, recently the dealer has been replacing parts but today they called and said it needs a new transmission. The car has 25,000 miles since he does not drive it much anymore he has a extended warranty to 100,000 miles. The dealer absoultly refuses to pay for a rental car, they want the car monday morning till thursday afternoon. Every other dealer in the area offers loaners, if you bought the car new from them. This has pushed him over the edge and he doesnt know what to do. I told him cancell the appt, and drive it hard till he breaks the transmission then call the dealers free roadside and tell them your 60miles away and come pick the crappy car up and fix it. Honda also has a service where they pay for hotel and food if the car breaks down far from home. He doesnt want to do this, but he wants the dealer pay after all the bussiness he gave them over the years.

Any ideas?? I like my idea just because they want to play hardball it sounds.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'd call the Honda Regional Office in your area first. Let them know you've given that dealer a lot of business, and that they should at least give you a loaner.

Unfortunately, the dealer has the upper hand at the moment, and if you do something to the transmission after the dealer already knows about it, they may deny any service at all, and they may go further than that by alerting other local dealers or the Regional Office.

The less threatening things are, the better it will work out.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just called another honda dealer (one that we never been to) and they said have the current dealer fax over work order/service, And they will call honda and could get a loaner probably ,if we give them a day to talk to honda and have their serivce dept look it and if honda doesnt approve a loaner the dealer themselves might cover the loaner if he talks to the manager. They want to look the car over because they said a 2006 shouldnt need a new transmisson. They also said the current honda dealer should call honda since they will repay the dealer for any rental if its a good reason, (like a car still under the bumper to bumper, for a new transmission). So right now it looks like the first dealer just doesnt want to deal with calling honda.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Honda is usually co-operative with Accord transmission repairs, ever since the class action lawsuit for 00-01 models. They have extended "goodwill repairs" to owners outside the scope of the lawsuit, although you already have it covered by an extended warranty (through Honda?). It is likely they will give you that good will in the form of a rental.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
This is the second Accord today (Dec. 6th) that I have heard about the tranny taking a dump. I think the lady I was talking to works at our Pharmacy and her son has an 06, as I recall. Honda refused to replace the tranny. The dealer her son buys from cover the rental car. Now doesn't want to, expects him to reimburse them... for the tranny and the rental! :confused: What's going on over at Honda? I have never heard of them being customer unfriendly. :shrug: I think he's got a lawyer and is looking to see if there is any class action lawsuits pending. I know they have had several recalls, but not on the tranny. Or were they even recalls?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Was this a second gear failure? 2003-2004 Accords had a recall for inadequate lubrication to second gear, and the MDX and Odyssey had similar recalls from what I remember, although different years were included.

The 01-02 class action settlement resulted in Honda issuing recall 02-062, which extended the warranty on those models. Honda's warranty extension document states that failures may have been due to "defects in material or workmanship" (emphasis mine) - maybe workmanship never improved.

Honda's corporate end being a dick about things is new to me too. Perhaps the economic pressure is getting to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts