Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2002 3.0 4x4 automatic with a rattling/growling 1st and 2nd gear. I'm anticipating a replacement transmission soon and unsure of which years/drivetrains are compatible. Will any CD4E work? I've read that 2001-2008 escape transmissions are compatible.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That is a good question. The transmission is the same physically, but I'm not sure how the TCM module changed, if those are interchangeable or if the old one will work. Hopefully someone who has trans swapped can let you know!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have no experience with these yet so am unable to say if anything will succeed, but I've had good success with other vehicles
I switched tranny sensors and a couple TCMs from different families in in a series of cars, I just try to get a similar year, make (if possible) and engine. Sometimes even an entire generation or family will have the same part, just like the rims are the same for almost everything from the mazda 3 to the tribute and truck.
The most important part is the mounting holes, sometimes a manufacturer will use a different casting part way thru a year, but its ideal to keep any old items from the old tranny just in case the new 1 doesnt shift right, shifts different or throws codes or something, that way you can try switching components.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That could be interesting, but if its the same casting and internals and has at least ports for sensors then it may work. I dont know anything about either tranny, but that old 1 was coming out around the introduction of OBD2 so there could be issues, usually more sensors or options are added as vehicles progress thru life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I have a 2002 3.0 4x4 automatic with a rattling/growling 1st and 2nd gear. I'm anticipating a replacement transmission soon and unsure of which years/drivetrains are compatible. Will any CD4E work? I've read that 2001-2008 escape transmissions are compatible.

Thank you
Did you ever figure out if this is possible? I also have a 02 and it needs a new transmission. Thanks for any info you have!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts