Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys and gals who are in cold climates,what to you get per tank of gas?Right now it's not looking so good with my Escape... I am getting about 350 Km per tank ... granted my wife uses it for short trips and it's been cold here. There is something that caught my attention and that is the size of the winter tires.. I think they are taller than stock..if that is the case they would make the speedo show less that actual. I rpm at 2000 at 100 km or 61 mph. If this is the case than the trip odometer is off my a some... Am I making sense... or just blabbering? :worry:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
What are the sizes of the tires?

350 km/tank seems about right for cold weather and short trips.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
235/70R16 is the stock size for 16" wheels. Are your summers on 15" wheels?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The winters are on the 16's pictured and the summers are installed on the same stock rim.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I measured them..the winters are about an inch taller. Now granted the summers are not mounted on rims...if that will make a difference than I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It does make a difference. Are the size designations the same? If so, then size variations once mounted are negligable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same size.. cept the winters have an aggressive tooth on them which makes them slightly taller.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
That won't make much of a difference. The aggressive tread and stickier compound will affect your mileage though.

How many litres are you putting in? I can get 500 highway kilometres per tank if I really push it, 600 km in the summer. If I refill at a "reasonable" level (close to empty but no light on) I can get from 350-450 km.

Based on the conditions here, I can tell you that 350 km for me would be about 45 L of gas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last fillup was at about 51 liters.. I have 240 km on it and the needle is at this stage >>>>
to clearly explain it to you....

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Looks about right. From my logs, the following are from the winter months:

12/03/2007: 52 L, 416 km
12/07/2007: 56 L, 365 km
12/21/2007: 55 L, 395 km

Things are better in the summer, even in the fall. This is just before I put on my winter tires in October: 36 L, 367 km.

·
Registered
390 Posts
'02 3.0 V6
10% ethanol in gas, 85 octane (need less than you low-landers)
Rare to find ethanol-free, then figures go up slightly.
Typical city in winter, 16 mpg
Typical highway, 23 mpg
Best to date, driving 65mph or slower, trying to keep under 2200rpm while accelerating, light foot etc, slightly over 25 mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts