Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Dont do it!

Votes: 7 35.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my truck there is the message center display that says Ford Escape. (Once you install the aftermarket deck it just says Ford Escape all the time) I am going to remove that whole display and get a piece of plexi cut to fit in that spot. Will either get the plexi etched (if i can find somewhere to do it) or apply a decal that says something to it. Will than run a couple LED's to be hid behind the plexi controlled by a switch. That way when I switch the LED's on that will light up.
How do you think this would turn out?

·
Registered
267 Posts
too bad you couldn't use glass and sand blast an image or something into it

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
You can. Most malls have a place that do etching and engraving.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The piece is only about 1.5"-2" tall

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wouldn't make it too bright, but attach the LEDs to the circuit for headlights. That way, when the gauges light up, it lights up too.
Something to consider.
The way my TV does it it has an etched image with an LED above it, only the etched part reflects the light, so it looks like the etched part is lit up by nothing. If you're interested, I could take pictures to show you how Sony did it. I didn't bother to take them yet, as someone will have to lift my TV so I can photograph it. Here's the dead-on shot, though.

Sorry about the res, it was taken on my phone. My digital camera is apparently no longer with us. The part with timer, standby, and power on it is clear plastic.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
jshak07 said:
The piece is only about 1.5"-2" tall
Shouldn't be a problem. I had shot glasses etched before. Warning labels for Tequila shot glasses! One tequila, two tequila etc,etc :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
theescaperoute said:
attach the LEDs to the circuit for headlights. That way, when the gauges light up, it lights up too.
i did that with my LED light bars inside and i love it cause i leave the rocker-switch on all the time and they automatically turn on with my lights

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nice!
You have any photos of that?

·
Registered
267 Posts
1) they're LEDs
2) my map lights were on
3) phone quality sucks

BUT it does light up everything by your feet when your driving and it looks sweet, i'll see if i can take a better picture tomorrow

i mounted my switch just to the right of the left LED bar and it too has a blue LED indicator light

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Do it, but make sure it is reversable. Whenever you want to sell and move on in the future someone looking at it might not care for your handywork... :peace:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
ORRRR

Is there a way that you can have it list the artist/title of whatever you are listening to on there? or put some type of screen in there where you can type personal messages or have some type of animation? Like on the pioneer headunits?? :thumb: Oh wow I could go on with this....

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If you have a laser printer, you can print anything you want on diffused acetate. Print it on the back side and print the image mirrored so that it appears OK on the side that faces out.

Then protect the back from peeling or chipping with several light coats of matte-finish clear laquer, and use any LED color behind it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
theescaperoute said:
Nice!
You have any photos of that?
here's a little better pic of the left one and the rocker switch

not as good as neons though, they're illegal here

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks great! :thumb: