Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you out there, I too love rims. I think the right wheels make a vehicle look perfect and respond better. When I had my vee-dub, I got new wheels and went from 15" to 16" (got a deal on VW rims/tires) and the difference was amazing. The car handled better and looked aesome. I had summer wheels and winter wheels. Iam looking to do the same with the Escape. I have a bunch of random thoughts/questions/concerns etc...

First off I like a wide, 5 spoke rim with "double" spokes. This is what I have concluded. I love JeffOS69's wheelset. That is exactly the wheel style I want. I also think I decided on a silver color as opposed to balck or black/silver mix. I like the look of a silver wheel against a freshly shined up tire. So with that here is my brain in overdrive:

1. Rim Size. I am debating on 18", 19" or 20". The XLT has 16" so any of them will be a big stiffening improvement. One question is will the 20" be too stiff and make the vehicle feel to "rattly" over bumps. I live in RI and the roads here are horrendous. I don't want to drop cash on new wheels and be blowing out rims/tires because the rims are big and the tire thickness is small. So I guess the question is ride quality vs. longevity. Plus I am used to worrying about this in a low to the ground VW. Maybe a 4x4 is not as much of a worry until you get into 22" land. Then I wonder if the 19" is a happy medium but limited in options. So I think it is either 18" or 20". A lot of wheels are offered up in both.

2. Suspension. I am not going to alter the ride height. Not going to lower it or do anything structural. But I am more concerned with larger wheels and their effect on suspension, brakes, wheel bearings etc. In other words do larger wheels shorten the life span of the rest of the parts underneath? I understand wheel acceleration and the differences of heavier/lighter wheels as far as "feel" goes but what, if any, long term damage can arise from larger wheels?

3. Circumference. I figure either way I will get very close to the current outer wheel circumference of the stock set. Larger wheel + smaller tire height etc. But I am concerned about keeping the closest to keep the mileage and mph accurate.

4. TPMS. The new wheelset would come with aftermarket TPMS sensors installed. I will not change out 4 sensors twice a year to swap wheel sets. I just won't do it. I will spend the $$ to have 4 installed. The question is anyone out there have experience with pairing of aftermarket sensors with the vehicle? Either way if you have experience.

5. Tires. SInce the wheelset will be summer only, I figure I can get a more summer tire. They won't see snow so I can look for a good tire that is quiet, won't add to mpg usage and looks good. I think this is the hardest thing to get right without being able test driving them first. I am currently on the Michelins that come on the 2010 XLT and I am totally happy with them. I would like something similar..

Currently I am looking at the following wheels and tires:

So there are the questions. Anyone with any experience or suggestions please respond....

And as a thank you for reading all of this, I give you the close-up eye ball.....(I just thought it was mesmerizing...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice wheels.

Quick notes (as I am about to head to a meeting soon)

-Get 20s (the others WILL look too small, you'll be glad you did)
-Use the suggested tire Rack sizes except get 255 wide not 245 (this will get you very close to the stock sizes - just a tough very very very small amount larger but a more comfortable ride than the 245) 255 45 20
-Yokohama Parada Spec X are good tires for the buck
-No experience with sensors as I dont use them - you will have to get them programmed everytime you switch to my knowledge
-Wont make any significant wear differences on the car and will not cause any damage
-The tires are not low enough profile to get easily damaged even with the 20s - I normally have owned modified sports cars with VERY low profile tires. Just don't go running over curbs at 40km/h
-Ride quality will be firmer but nicer (you will like the handling improvement of the lower profile wider tires)

If you get a different set and the spokes go all the way to the edge of the lip of the wheel your wheels will look a full inch bigger.

As for experience Ive owned no joke about 25 sets of wheels in the last 10 years or so.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a good note I believe I just sold one of my mountain bikes so the $$ for the wheels should be here this week... Looks like 20" will be the choice..

Sport Edition ST4
20" in Silver w/Machined Lip

Dimensions:

Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 6.45"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114

I am stopping into the wheel place to see if they can do any better on prices than going online.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm looking at these:
Budnik Pentacle six spoke, not sure what size I want:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone know that backspacing and offset of the factory XLT 16 in. wheels are? There on a 2001 if that makes any difference,i want new wheels but all the wheels i want i cant seem to find in a backspacing that will fit the escape.I really want the dick cepek DC1 but i dont know if they will fit....anyone got them on their ride????

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry man, I got the stock wheels on, and don't know when I'll be able to measure them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You're killing me, sinister! :lol: First, you have me coveting your killer stereo - once I get back to the states, I may even get a new stereo before I buy a bass boat (and that's saying a lot) and now you have me looking at new/different wheels. I do like the black rims that came with mine, they complete the overall "black" look that I was going for but I have to admit, nice wheels make a world of difference on a vehicle. Now if I can only find a decent set of rims in black...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts