Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02' escape and starting last winter I noticed that I was getting binding/whel hop when I have it switched to 4X4 in the winter. Also when I back out of a parking spot when in 4X4 I get a clunk or thump coming from the rear end I think. I searched around on the internet and found a TSB that pretty much describes the same problem yet I can't find a cause for the problem written up anywhere. I'm hoping some of you guys know what the deal is so I can get around to fixing it. We're right around the corner from winter here in Alaska so I'd like to get it fixed up right away. The TSB in question is 15430.
The Bullitin summary says: Some 4X4 vehicles may exhibit driveline binding, wheel hop on tight turns, or a clunk type noise from the driveline during torque reversal.

Anybody know what the problem is??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I happen to have the same drive-line and control as yours on my 2004 V6.
You are probably aware that these vehicles are AWD with a viscous coupler for 4X4 engagement.Very different from true 4X4 vehicles.
The binding and clunking you are sensing with 4X4 is all created by the rear part of the drive-train fighting the front since they move at different speeds.
That is why it is strictly to be avoided switching to 4X4 on dry, wet roads.It even says so in the User's manual.
If when in the auto mode you do not have any sounds or problems of behaviour, most likely you have not damaged the differential.
Just change the driving habits on that issue and your winter will be fine.

PS.It was very hard for Ford to persuade its customers on the peculiarity of that issue, just by putting a phrase in their manual.As a result of that misunderstanding many users around the world with Escapes ended up with serious drive-line problems while under warranty.And from 2005 onward there is no 4X4 switch.

·
Registered
758 Posts
2005 and newer 4wd systems on the Escape have different hardware system than the 2004 and earlier models.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Billyk said:
2005 and newer 4wd systems on the Escape have different hardware system than the 2004 and earlier models.
There are some hardware differences but the system although refined, it remains the same, at least untill 2007 models.I'm curious why Ford does not use the Haldex system employed on the Kuga.Far superior to the Escape's as far as automatic egagement is concerned.

·
Registered
168 Posts
SUVord said:
Billyk said:
There are some hardware differences but the system although refined, it remains the same, at least untill 2007 models.I'm curious why Ford does not use the Haldex system employed on the Kuga.Far superior to the Escape's as far as automatic egagement is concerned.
I've wondered the same thing. I had an Audi TT for a few years and it was fitted with the Haldex system...certainly no complaints there. I'm guessing as is the case with most decisions made by major manufacturers that it was based on cost rather than effectiveness.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Model year 2005 was the introduction of a new 4wd system for the Ford Escape and Escape Hybrid. The hardware and software was completely different than the previous Borg Warner Control Trac II.

JTEKT Corporation produces the hardware for the 2005 and newer Escape 4wd system. This is a computer controlled system that requires no input from the driver. One reason the Haldex system is not used because of the experience Ford had with it in the older Ford 500 models. It also cost more to ship this item to this country than the purchase price!

It is possible that model year 2012 will feature a newer and/or different 4wd system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm aware that you will get binding when in 4X4 normally but what I can't figure out is the thumping sound I get when i back up while in 4X4. It's a recent occurance as it didn't do this previously. I'm in the habit now of switching it to auto when I park (needing to turn into a spot such as in a parking lot) and only switching back into 4X4 after I back out and start forward again to avoid the problem, even if it's glare ice. Here in the winter you rarely see bare pavement unless it doesn't snow for a long time. Really I haven't seen too much difference in traction in 4X4 vs. auto. I've actually wondered if it really does much at all. When I drove it (my wife drives it now) I usually just left it in auto anyway unless I was on the highway and it was really slippery or some other similar situation.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You should never put the escape in 4wd unless you are in extreme snow or mud. Your truck will automatically sense wheel slip and transfer power to the rear when in auto anyway. If you continue to drive with it in 4wd you will be needing a new rear end.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ohh and just like stated above when the Escape is in Locked 4wd the front and rear tires move at the same speed, but the problem lies in the rear right and left tires. They will move at the same speed and because of this when you make tight turns the tires will bind up in the rear. When you make a turn to the right, the left tire will spin more than the right and the right becomes more of a pivot point and vice versa. Hope this helps. :peace:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Billyk said:
Model year 2005 was the introduction of a new 4wd system for the Ford Escape and Escape Hybrid. The hardware and software was completely different than the previous Borg Warner Control Trac II.

JTEKT Corporation produces the hardware for the 2005 and newer Escape 4wd system. This is a computer controlled system that requires no input from the driver. One reason the Haldex system is not used because of the experience Ford had with it in the older Ford 500 models. It also cost more to ship this item to this country than the purchase price!

It is possible that model year 2012 will feature a newer and/or different 4wd system.
Ok, I see what you mean by different.I agree with you.I was thinking principle-wise, since the new system is also a viscous coupling one compared to HaldexIV.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ajc6882 said:
You should never put the escape in 4wd unless you are in extreme snow or mud. Your truck will automatically sense wheel slip and transfer power to the rear when in auto anyway. If you continue to drive with it in 4wd you will be needing a new rear end.
+100
...On ice lock the 4X4 only as a means of torque reducer on the wheels for going up or down a steep mountain with the inclination being above 7%.Measured and done dozens of times each winter at altitudes of 4000ft. and above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts