Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these cool little tiny blue LED's that have peel off/stick-on backing & can be used for things like dash lighting, illuminating the ash tray etc etc etc

They came as a pair with tiny gauge long wires & a 12v cigarette lighter plug on the end & say "typeS" on them. I am pretty sure I originally found them from a link that somebody posted on the old EC but of course now I can't find it (I never could get the search to work right on that site)

Does anybody have a clue what I'm talking about or where to get something like this?? I spent 1/2 hour Googgling every LED combination I could find & came up blank.

~John

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I don't know either. But if you find them, let me know. I do recall seeing some battery operated LED Christmas lights that I was going to buy but never got around to.

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
I got mine at Advance Auto

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm not sure about the stick-on LEDs, but I've used two types of LEDs for lighting things like inside door handle recesses, cupholders, and console trays.

First, Digi-Key sells these Dialight blue LEDs that push into a 0.155" (4.83mm) hole. These diffused blue LEDs mount from the outside, through a hole, so they can't be pushed through.
The outer jacket is made of black polyethylene, they fit very snugly in the hole, and they have 14" 26AWG leads with tinned ends. They're not ultra-bright (only about 13mcd), but they're perfect for subtle blue lighting of small areas like inside door handle recesses. I use a 1.2K resistor in series with each one.

Here's where you can order them. As of today, they're only $3.40 each.

Second, Digi-Key sells these Lumex LEDs that mount from behind through a 0.200" (5.08mm) hole. The outer jacket is more of a silicone material, so it can be distorted slightly while pushing it through the hole. Once in the hole, they're very difficult to push back through. They're much brighter (about 60mcd), and they have 6" 26AWG leads with tinned ends. Again, I use a 1.2K resistor in series with these. These are perfect for lighting cupholders, console trays, and other areas that won't be subject to anyone trying to push them back through the hole. Also, these are perfect for areas where you may need to remove trim panels later and don't want to remove the wiring...just pull them out from behind the panel.

Here's where you can order them. As of today, they're only $4.55 each.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found what I was looking for (finally):

http://www.amazon.com/Type-S-LM02003-60 ... B000CRKAJW

These little things works quite well, the only problem is that the wires are SO FINE that you almost have to use the 12v plug that comes on them. The wires are so tiny that it is almost impossible to cut off the plug & splice the wiring (which is what i would normally do)

~John

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Even if you use solder and shrink tubing? I'm going to order a couple of them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
weebee said:
Even if you use solder and shrink tubing? I'm going to order a couple of them.
solder & shrink tube is the only way I ever do any wiring. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it sure wouldn't be easy with these wires.........

~John

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
ok, I've got some wire strippers that are designed for very small wire. It may do the job.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Make sure to post some pics of those when you guys are done. I am always interested in Blue lights. Anyone figure out how to change the instrument panel from green to blue? :party:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts