Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bullguard and am going to get lights on it. I am wondering if I should hook them into the fog lights. Problem is when hyou hit high beams they cut off. Of if I shoudl tie them into the regular lights but again I am guessing I would have to figure out the high low beam wires. The 3rd choice is running the switch inside and cutting them on and off from inside.
Also does anyoen ahve opinion on 55watt lights vrs the hallogen lights?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I wired mine direct to the Battery with a manual switch. I'd recommend that for ultimate control and ease of installation. A little dangerous if you leave them on though.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I ran mine to the battery for power, but using a relay also hooked them to the park lights. That way the park lights must be on for me to switch them on (using a rocker switch mounted on the console). This means that they work whether I'm using dims or brights, but they will shut off when the other lights do so they don't accidentally get left on.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Airmapper said:
I wired mine direct to the Battery with a manual switch. I'd recommend that for ultimate control and ease of installation. A little dangerous if you leave them on though.
x1

I hooked them to a fuse that goes off when i turn off the car (dont remember which right now), that way even if I leave the switch on when i turn off the car they will turn off.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We're required by law here to wire our's into the hi-beam. Logically...if you need driving lights, then you'll have your hi-beam on. Just pick up power from hi-beam, run it to a relay and then a switch. I leave the switch on permanently so that if I hit hi-beam then the driving lights come on as well.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ideally what Christophera has done with his is the right choice...as long as the local district laws allow it.
In Europe for example all auxiliary lights, besides the manufacturer's, are to be covered at all times!!!
So we draw current from the battery with separate relays, fuses and switches.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
SsquaredDesign said:
I ran mine to the battery for power, but using a relay also hooked them to the park lights. That way the park lights must be on for me to switch them on (using a rocker switch mounted on the console). This means that they work whether I'm using dims or brights, but they will shut off when the other lights do so they don't accidentally get left on.
Wanting to put a bull guard on mine and I was trying to think of a smart way to rig the lights up on it, that is a pretty darn good idea :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got my lights. Hella 500FF. This is something to keep in mind. The bullguard where the lights go were an inch or so to small for the lights, they are 7 inches tall. Anyway got a bracket from Lowes to bring it out a little.Just something to keep in mind. Will post pics when I get everything set up.

·
Banned
105 Posts
volleybiggs said:
Just got my lights. Hella 500FF. This is something to keep in mind. The bullguard where the lights go were an inch or so to small for the lights, they are 7 inches tall. Anyway got a bracket from Lowes to bring it out a little.Just something to keep in mind. Will post pics when I get everything set up.
That's strange, my Hella 500FF's fit like the bullguard was made for them. They worked perfectly and look like they belong there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts