Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm in the process of wiring my front door component speakers with an amplifier.

I was just wondering where some of you ran the wire through the door into the passenger compartment.

There is a huge plug on the body side of the vehicle where that long rubber grommet hose thing is, but its pretty much air tight against the metal opening, so right now we've got the speaker and tweeter wires jammed in there between the metal body and the giant plastic plug. Im afraid these wires are going to cut themselves off and obviously lose the connection.

The way it is now, works, but some of you might have some better ideas.

thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
I've done some electrical mods on mine and I just poked a small hole in that rubber raceway then sealed it with silicone. It's held up nicely.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Before you do that, can't you use the factory wiring? Yeah, it's 20-gauge wiring, and not Monster cable, but the wiring is already there. Personally, I tried huge cables like Monster cable when I used to install systems, and I could never hear the difference. And door speakers don't usually need the high current wiring that a subwoofer needs. Just my .02.

Here's the factory 2001-2004 factory wiring: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=903

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I'm installing component speakers, so that means I have to run the 5 1/4 woofer, and also the 1" tweeter through the door and to the crossover under the dash.

I would mount the crossover under the door skin, but i've read that its not recommended due to vibration, slamming doors and stuff...

Either way, I would have to run at least one pair (+,-) of my own wires through the door.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 more thing, I could possibly use the factory wiring but the doors are the same colour from what I've seen.
(the back door wire colours were the same on left and right sides.)

Thats a good wire diagram JPARK, is it possible that you can get a bigger picture of that so I can read it easier?

EDIT: I just saved the picture to my computer and it seems to be larger than the site.
I guess i'll do some studying to see what i can do.

thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Does that hose necessarily need to be air tight? To me I would think that the hose should be able to come out and be replaced easily...have you applied excessive force...stopped, thought about it while enjoying a cold refreshment? :beer:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Excessive force, or excessive refreshments?

:lol:

The door connector can be unplugged by sliding the rubber cover off of the frame side of the connector. When you see the white housing, you'll see the tabs that you can press with your fingers to release the connector assembly from the frame. There's also a green insert that needs to be pulled upward to separate the connector halves.

When I had Muth signal mirrors on my '05 Escape, I bought both sides of one of the door connectors from a seller on eBay who deals in scrapped cars. He had an Escape, so I asked him if he could cut away both sides of one of the door connectors, and give me about a foot of wire on each side. Since the door connectors have several unused pin locations, I unsnapped four pins from each side of the "eBay" connector, and snapped them into two of those locations on each door. That gave me two extra connections into each door, nice and factory-like.

I still have lots of those pins left. E-mail me if you need some.

You could also do what Muth suggests: drill through two of the unused pin locations and run the wire through the holes. Just be careful...you don't want to nick wires or other pins.

http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000720.pdf

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasnt saying it had to be air tight, but when the plug is fully pressed in where its supposed to be, it is a pretty darn close fit, close enough to pinch the wires that I have running beside the plug.

I would want it to be water/air tight to keep the wires dry etc.

JPARK, I thought of drilling my own hole through the plug, but I was afraid to drill into another wire or something.

That definitely makes it clear where I can drill though... I'll take another look

and once again, thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You're welcome.

Remember, if you don't want to drill, I have plenty of the pins that fit into those connectors. You only need four male pins and four female pins. E-mail or PM me if you need them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The audio system is done, and to run the wires through the plug, I drilled 2 holes in each plug just as JPark suggested with the signal mirrors link.

Thanks guys

I also have pictures of the plug on the audio/video /show what you got thread

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:clap:

Nice write-up!

Also, if anyone else wants to run new wires into the doors for anything (signal mirrors, extra speaker feeds, or anything else), I still have pins and wire for both sides of any Escape's door connectors, if you'd rather not drill through the connector.

Just PM or e-mail me if you need them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts