Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install blue led lights so they com on and off when the doors open and close? Where can i hook them up to in the fuse panel?

·
Registered
231 Posts
no, fuse panel will only have a 12v constant or a 12v switched power. you'll want to locate your dome light power wire and t-tap into that. so that whenever your dome light is on, the leds will pop on. gimme a second and i'll logon directtechs.com and find out the easiest place to access that wire.

edit:

seems like the 09 is the same as my 08 escape. so here goes... i'll list it as: item, color, location

Left Front Door Trigger green/purple driver kick or SJB, gray 26 pin plug (C), pin 14
Right Front Door Trigger white passenger kick or SJB, gray 26 pin plug (C), pin 2
Left Rear Door Trigger green driver kick or SJB, gray 26 pin plug (C), pin 3
Right Rear Door Trigger yellow passenger kick or SJB, gray 26 pin plug (C), pin 15
Dome Supervision gray/purple driver kick or SJB, gray 14 pin plug (A), pin 9(most important and easiest)

now, "SJB" is the smart junction box. it's located inside your console down on the passenger side. to t-tap into any of them you'll need to completely remove your console. see JP's write up in the 2008+ how to forum on how to remove it. he's got diagrams and everything up there. it is really not that hard at all to remove it. takes about 15-20 minutes if your handy with the tools.

assuming the kit you're using is only a 12v and ground, here's how i would do it if i were you.

turn your dome light to the off position. then remove the console. make a good ground using a self tapping sheet metal screw and lock washers so the ground doesnt wiggle loose. i would use the big metal supports that console bolts into. now, locate the gray/purple dome supervision wire. t-tap your power wire from the unit into the dome wire. now turn your dome light switch on, the lights should come on. after testing, run your leds where ever you want, make sure you tuck your wires in nice and neat for a professional install. ......

now if you wanna get fancy... run power wires to each seperate door trigger so only the door you opened lights up :)

the grey 14 pin plug the dome wire is on will look something like this

hope that helped

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boy that is way to complicated for me! I thought running a wire to the fuse panel or something, but messing around with the dash? I might want to rethink this and just have a on/off switch to the fuse box. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
eh, its not really the dash.. its the center console.. under your shifter. trust me, its not as complicated as it seems. if you found the dome wire quick enough, you could have the power run in a matter of 45 minutes, the rest of the project would be figuring out where you wanna put the leds

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice write up Weezy! Thanks.. this will come in handy when I do some interior mods for fire dept. lights and such. ( or a scanner, or cb, or ... ) ;-)

-Joe

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I didn't see this, since it was posted twice (the second thread has been deleted).

:cuss:

Weezy is right... it's the GRAY with VIOLET STRIPE wire for the +12V side of any LED bar. The other end of the LED bar (- or ground) goes to ground.

You can also find that wire without removing the console. On a 2008 or newer E/M/T, remove the kick panel and scuff plate on the driver-side of the car, and you'll see the harness shown below.

Look inside the harness near the area highlighted by the red line, and you should find a splice somewhere in that area with three GRAY with VIOLET STRIPE wires (two toward the front of the car, and one toward the back). Tap into this splice to power the +12V leads on your LED bars. The other leads (- or ground) of your LED bars go to any grounded part of the car.

Make sure that you don't short this circuit. While the output is short-circuit protected, it's part of the Smart Junction Box, which controls most of the electronics in the Escape. If you fry it, it's uber-expensive to replace.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Weezy504 said:
<snip> now if you wanna get fancy... run power wires to each seperate door trigger so only the door you opened lights up :) <snip>
Actually, that's not a good idea.

Those are ultra-low current inputs (not outputs) to the Smart Junction Box, so they're not designed to handle any kind of high-current loads. They're also grounded when the doors are closed, and open when the doors are open, so they'd work in the opposite way (on when doors are closed). You could easily fry the SJB by tapping into those wires to power any lights.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
LEDs are always low-current, but the separate door-trigger inputs are not designed for any kind of loads. They're logic-level inputs, not outputs.

Also, they won't fade out like they will if you connect them to the interior lamp feed.

Can you take pics of these when you get them? I'm interested...

:thumb:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm terified to take the panel off and even mess around with thos wires. I may just wire them to the fusebox and use a on/off switch.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Have you installed a car stereo before?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about this install, then. Just make sure that you tap into the correct wire.

If you're going to mount all four LEDs on the center console, then Weezy is right. Use the GRAY with VIOLET STRIPE wire on the C2280a 14-pin connector shown below. It's the only wire with that color combination on that connector:

Run that wire to the +12V leads of all of your LEDs, and run a grounded wire to the -/ground leads of all of your LEDs. You can unplug this connector from the SJB while you're working on it, then just plug it back in when you're done.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
This doesn't seem like that hard of an install. I had to tap into that bunch of wires myself to hit the reverse wire when installing my Nav unit...trust me there are harder installs than that...*cough* my exhaust lol

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so that diagram is from the console then rather the floor panel on the drivers side?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yes. If you remove the fuse cover on the passenger side of the console, you may be able to see the connector from there. But you'll probably still need to remove the console to make a solid, reliable connection to the wire on the connector.

Here are the center console removal instructions: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=484

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a bunch!! Is there a spot to connect to a ground wire?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
For a ground, you can tap into any wire that's connected to a ground lug. There were a few at the front of the console frame in my '05.

The SJB does have one or two ground wires going into it, but I wouldn't unplug those connectors, since they also have airbag circuits on them.

Keep all of the wires away from the console's metal frame. If you can, wrap your wires in thin electrical tape, just like the factory wires are wrapped, and piggyback them onto factory harnesses with wire ties.

·
Registered
231 Posts
look @ jp showin me up with all his fancy diagrams of the SJB ... lol jk. thanks for correcting me on the door trigger wires. good thing you caught that before he did it. i'm no 12v guru like jp, but i'm learning my way around. :wave: for JP

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The check is in the mail, Weezy.

:thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts