Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the time has come in the Camusdarrach household to invest in some new car cleaning materials...
(Hopefully they will be given as a Christmas present ;) )

In the past, I've always used Autoglym products, especially....

(Exterior), Super Resin Polish, followed by their Extra Gloss Protection

(Interior), Vinyl and Rubbercare and Leather Care Cream

But I'm wondering now if there are any better products on the market, to acheive that "perfect shine" (mainly after viewing the great work that Tribby has done).

what do you guy's use/recommend???
 

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
Joined
·
20,590 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
The Maguiars cleaner liquid wax works nicely as an "In-Between" waxing product. I also like the Showtime qwik detailer from Mothers, and the Turtlewax Platinum detailing spray, or their Ice wax, as both are easy to apply, and to remove again.

Best results I've had overall, was using a Mothers Claybar kit on my Mustang I had before. It made the black look really deep when I was finished with it.

There's so many products out now, it's hard to tell much difference between them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Ok, the time has come in the Camusdarrach household to invest in some new car cleaning materials...
(Hopefully they will be given as a Christmas present ;) )

In the past, I've always used Autoglym products, . . . .
Unlike most products mentioned on this Board, you're already into the realm of products that professional detailers use (and I assume that you're already using claybar, be it Mother's, Meguiar's, Zaino, doesn't really matter.)

As the professional detailers say, it's 90% technique and 10% product. The next step-up would be a dual-action random-orbital polisher and a selection of foam pads, such as the Porter-Cable 7424.

Suggest you spend some time on the detailing boards such as http://www.autopia.org.

For starters, see:

http://articles.autopia.org/articles/47 ... ide-1.html

The results are impressive:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
I agree with the above, plus I use Meguiar's Detailing spray in between to clean up the spots and get ready for shows, or just to make the Bullitt look perfect :thumb: . The Tribute doesn't get that kind of care, but the dealer did wax it before we took delievery of the trucklett... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prowler said:
camusdarrach said:
Ok, the time has come in the Camusdarrach household to invest in some new car cleaning materials...
(Hopefully they will be given as a Christmas present ;) )

In the past, I've always used Autoglym products, . . . .
Unlike most products mentioned on this Board, you're already into the realm of products that professional detailers use (and I assume that you're already using claybar, be it Mother's, Meguiar's, Zaino, doesn't really matter.)

As the professional detailers say, it's 90% technique and 10% product. The next step-up would be a dual-action random-orbital polisher and a selection of foam pads, such as the Porter-Cable 7424.

Suggest you spend some time on the detailing boards such as http://www.autopia.org.

For starters, see:

http://articles.autopia.org/articles/47 ... ide-1.html

The results are impressive:

Ok, I have never used a claybar (yet??!), as they are very hard to obtain around here.

What set me off thinking was whilst Autoglym products are both very popular, and easy to obtain, it's only recently that meguiar's products have been sold.

And, thanks to a previous post on this site that you did, Prowler, I have spent quite a bit of time on the Autopia site, and signed upp there as Camusdarrach (What else!!),
But I do agree that detailing is a bit like spraypainting, in that the best product in the world cannot make up for a poor effort in application, and at the moment it usually takes me between 4/6 hours to PROPERLY clean and wax the Maverick, which is all done by hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
arbs said:
how much you got to spend? admittedly a wax not a polish...

http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-12001-Royal ... B000F3K0T8

have a look at http://www.detailingworld.co.uk :)
Basically, I am prepared to spend good money, for a good product, as I have a reputation at work (Now theres a suprise :worry: ;) ) for having both an immaculate car, and coach.

At the moment, both vehicles have Autoglym SRP, followed by Autoglym EGP (You think that detailing a car takes time, try doing the process with a 49 seater, 12m long coach!!!!!!!, it takes 3 full days :doh: )

And thanks very much for the link, Arbs, think I might join up with that site, very interesting info on there, and from what I've read on that site, and the one Prowler recommended, I think I shall stick with Autoglym :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
well the AG stuff is pretty good for the money and being a 'mainstream' product.I would defo try claying first tho, just now and again, you'd be amazed at how much stuff it gets off your already clean car! lol If i'm giving the car a proper going over I use a Sonus clay, various Menzerna polishes with a Porter Cable polisher, often AG Super Resin Polish as it fills tiny imperfection and seals and then finish off with collinite 476 which is a good durable wax. All pretty reasonable compared to the Zymol Royale lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, with all this talk about clay bars, looks like I'm going to have to try one, but the only place I can find around here that stocks them is Halfords, at £23 ish, for a Meguire's set, is that good value???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Hmm, with all this talk about clay bars, looks like I'm going to have to try one, but the only place I can find around here that stocks them is Halfords, at £23 ish, for a Meguire's set, is that good value???
If it's the same "kit" as what is sold here, that's a fair price. I think that last set that I saw was for $49.99 US. I'm not sure about the current exchange rate, but that should be about even or maybe to your price advantage! :peace:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
The best wax is, of course, one that someone else applies for you. I hate waxing cars.

I agree with the previous advice. Wash the car twice. Use a clay bar and Speed Shine from Griots Garage, kneading the clay frequently. Go after the bugs, tar, other people's black bumper residue (does anyone NOT park by Braille?). Then a wax remover. Then attack the paint chips, scratches, etc. Finally hit it with the best wax you can afford. Then keep it in the garage 24 hours a day because by now you have about 40 hours of labor into the friggin' thing and don't even want to look at it, let alone drive it through a mud puddle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Hmm, with all this talk about clay bars, looks like I'm going to have to try one, but the only place I can find around here that stocks them is Halfords, at £23 ish, for a Meguire's set, is that good value???
I guess you are talking about this kit? in which case it shows halfords prices for what they are!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meguiars-Quik-Cla ... 240%3A1318

at this price it is quite good value but you dont really need the QU (quick detailer) as you could just make up a spray using car shampoo and water. still, at £12 posted you might as well get it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,629 Posts
10kpharo has the correct approach. The wax that someone else applies for you. :) :lol: That is why i go to the detailing people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
arbs said:
camusdarrach said:
Hmm, with all this talk about clay bars, looks like I'm going to have to try one, but the only place I can find around here that stocks them is Halfords, at £23 ish, for a Meguire's set, is that good value???
I guess you are talking about this kit? in which case it shows halfords prices for what they are!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meguiars-Quik-Cla ... 240%3A1318

at this price it is quite good value but you dont really need the QU (quick detailer) as you could just make up a spray using car shampoo and water. still, at £12 posted you might as well get it :)
Thanks for the link, Arbs, I think I can see myself spending a lot of money with that eBayer :doh: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
arbs said:
OK, entered details to become a member, and got this little message.............

Your application has now been placed in a queue for approval by a moderator..........

Kind of reminds me of another forum that exists, ho hum............................... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
camusdarrach said:
arbs said:
OK, entered details to become a member, and got this little message.............

Your application has now been placed in a queue for approval by a moderator..........

Kind of reminds me of another forum that exists, ho hum............................... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
lol but i know (of) one of the admins on that site, i'll stick a good word in for you :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
arbs said:
camusdarrach said:
arbs said:
OK, entered details to become a member, and got this little message.............

Your application has now been placed in a queue for approval by a moderator..........

Kind of reminds me of another forum that exists, ho hum............................... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
lol but i know (of) one of the admins on that site, i'll stick a good word in for you :lol:
Cheers Arbs, BTW are you a member of that site :shrug: ;)

As fot the site, have a look at the link below, to see the level of detailing
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=94561
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
arbs said:
yeah i'm a member (arbee) but dont actively use it a great deal, its more a research tool!

if you want some good reading then this is possibly the best thread i've read...

All meant tongue-in-cheek i promise!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=38692
OMG!! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

That thread was amazing, I mean, that even beats me with my posting...............

BTW, I must confess that I've done a similar job to our Dyson DC01 in the past, hmmm :worry: :worry:
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top