Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009-2012 Ford Coil Spring - Ford (9M6Z-5560-D)
2009-2012 Ford Coil Spring - Ford (9M6Z-5560-C)
2009-2012 Ford Coil Spring - Ford (9L8Z-5560-D)

These are all different prices but with identical descriptions!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep need a VIN.
Likely different rates for different drivetrains.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not trying to be a difficult, but I do OEM Parts for a living so I have knowledge in this. My manufacturer uses a Ford based catalog and I am familiar with this type of breakdown situation.
Many of your online catalogues pick more than one item, then in the small print something like this appears:
'The description and pictures come from a third party catalog and descriptions and pictures may not be accurate. The only way to ensure exact fit is to verify with the VIN number and OEM catalog.'
The online catalogs are not always as indepth as folks would like.
They will all fit, but they will react different dependant upon your application/intended application due.
It's just one of those things. I really hate when this happens; people pick the cheapest or whatever method, it doesn't meet their expectations, then come to me to complain.
I get this kind of call, use my OEM catalog, and determine correct fitment.
They will all fit, but they may react different than expected dependant upon your application/intended application.
I am not a Ford dealer, so I can't run with this, but I hope that I was able to shed some light, and a member with the correct connections can sort this out for you.
Best Wishes,
davez26

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not trying to be a difficult, but I do OEM Parts for a living so I have knowledge in this. My manufacturer uses a Ford based catalog and I am familiar with this type of breakdown situation.
The different numbers are for spring codes -B and -D.

Nobody knows what these codes describe, not even the parts desk people, and Ford does not make this information public. Would 'B' mean a normal spring and D a heavier spring?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They will all fit, but they will react different dependant upon your application/intended application due.
My XLT V6's door sticker says MMEE, rear spring code 'E', which is rated for 2340 lb at rear.

A door sticker for a Hybrid reads VVGG, rear spring code 'G', which is rated 2480 lb at rear. This means G springs are rated for 70 lb. more per side than E springs. Presumably this extra weight is the big battery in back.

I suspect this is why E spring has been discontinued. The G with its increased load handling is a better replacement over another set of E--for ALL Escape models.

I am the second owner of my XLT. The original owner installed an after-market hitch but probably used factory E springs NOT rated for a hitch. It seems my rear springs have excessive wear.

Now, if I install G springs, is there gonna be a huge, or minor, or for that matter a negative difference with 70 lb. better load handling capability per side?

·
Registered
72 Posts
'The different numbers are for spring codes -B and -D.
Nobody knows what these codes describe, not even the parts desk people, and Ford does not make this information public.'

Seriously, we may have zero idea why parts are coded different ways. Engineering makes the lists, the vendors compile the catalogues and publish. Sometimes they give us clues, like tags on parts, sometimes not. Engineering and Parts aren't as closely related as we'd like.

Here's some more to muck this up.
My tow pack lists the 2340#, and F code springs.

Running a heavier spring would tend to have a rougher ride, and possibly a slightly taller ride height.
Best bet correct springs, and theoretically the odds are on your favor that pre-owned will be fine. Spring issues have been far and few on these boards, so it's a fair bet that used are fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MOOG 80657 work fine. I added the Air Lift 1000 helper spring kit 60796 since I have a wheelchair lift on the back.

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
98 Posts
My XLT V6's door sticker says MMEE, rear spring code 'E', which is rated for 2340 lb at rear.

A door sticker for a Hybrid reads VVGG, rear spring code 'G', which is rated 2480 lb at rear. This means G springs are rated for 70 lb. more per side than E springs. Presumably this extra weight is the big battery in back.

I suspect this is why E spring has been discontinued. The G with its increased load handling is a better replacement over another set of E--for ALL Escape models.

I am the second owner of my XLT. The original owner installed an after-market hitch but probably used factory E springs NOT rated for a hitch. It seems my rear springs have excessive wear.

Now, if I install G springs, is there gonna be a huge, or minor, or for that matter a negative difference with 70 lb. better load handling capability per side?
with a class one receiver hitch, there was no way anyone could've overloaded your vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
98 Posts
I know an escape has a payload, and towing capacity more than your body weight… it doesn't take much to overload a broken spring… ( :

now I will suggest, since it is that obvious with you jumping on it, have your friend look at your suspension through the wheel wells, while that is occurring. this will allow you to see where the actual problem is

Reactions: 68Kustom
1 - 12 of 12 Posts