Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put in 4) new 6 x 8 door speakers and im thinking about getting these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003188O5Q/ref ... et-2752-20

Are they good or are there better ones around this price?

Should I get a 4 channel amp to power the front two 6 x 8's and two subs I will be getting in the future. What size amp would you suggest getting to power two 6x 8's and two 12 in subs for $100 or less?

Also what would be a good head unit to go with all of this that has a usb port on the front, for around $80?

While im installing the speakers im going to put in peel and stick from lowes in the door panels to dampen road noise, will it be alright considering how hot my car gets here in Florida?- Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can understand you are on a tight budget. But PLEASE do not use peel-n-stick! Aside from the fact that it will do nothing to dampen road noise, it will end up a sticky mess on the inside of your doors.

Even with a small budget, you can peice together a system one part at a time, until you have something workable. Speakers first. Then HU. Then Amp. Sound deadening at any time, and you don't have to buy dynamat there are other cheaper alternatives that are still top quality. Spend some time on these forums and you will learn a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
There is a lot to deal with here but for now I'll suggest you run RAAMaudio's BXTII product (not BXT I), and maybe order 3 yards of Ensolite and 2-3 cans of spray adhesive. That spray is great for carpet and vinyl and stuff later so you can't have enough.

Those MTX units look great for the price, good find. I also know of Millionbuy.com, and there's this place called Sewell that had some good deals too.

If you can find one, there is a guy on ebay called Audioclinic. He fixes US Acoustics amps and sells them. The strong 4ch he sells would be right at $100, and perform like a $200-300 amp. Definitely the best amp money like that can buy. Second to that, I would have you consider an MB Quart for about $130, the bigger Discus 4ch. You can also consider the RF Prime for about that kind of money, but the US acoustics will be much stronger than all those.

HU? Eh...anything is good but you'd be best paying attention to the RCA preouts needed. You want at least 4 out, to do what you want to do.

I've got a few more links saved on my laptop at home, so I'll check back with you with what you need.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think it's smart to go with 4 6x8's in the stock locations, and the MTX drivers are decent, and really loud and fairly clean for the money. I think you'd do well with a PowerAcoustik amp if you want one that's powerfull, affordable, and reliable. The Gothic series is actually really good for the price, and there's also the Crypt Series, which is the replacement for the LFA series. You could actually check vendors that have "new-old-stock" and find some even better deals on amps. For subs, I'd honestly not go above 10" ones.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help I ordered 4) 6x8 mtx door speakers for a total of $67.32 and now I'm checking into amps and HU's. Ill let you know how everything goes, but its gonna take a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been following along with this thread and might myself get these speakers. This is my first time really looking into the fine-tune selection of what I choose other than just picking something off the shelf. I have two questions because this. First is, would you use a sound deadener (I think that is what it is?) in the stock speakers spots in the doors, and if so, any suggestions on anything good? Lastly, I can't seem to find it (I'll keep looking), but where is the thread on how to actually replace the speakers? Do the covers just pop off (I don't want to ruin them if they don't), or is it the whole door panel? I have a 2005 Escape XLT. Thanks for the help and thanks to the OP for the topic!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nice! Luckily this is not a race!

Definitely do the right thing on deadener, man. Peel and seal and all of that asphalt stuff doesn't do what butyl products do. Its not just mass of rubber and foil here, its actually visco-elastic property of turning vibration into heat that butyl products have. Do not be swayed into saving a few bucks here, you might as well just use bubble gum and aluminum foil!

Get one box of RAAMmat BXTII, and some ensolite / spray like I said, and you're about $170-190 all done. You can even sell sheets of RAAMmat to others if you end up not using it all. Its good stuff, in fact Harmon Int'l purchase it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The whole door panel comes of the door itself and then the speaker is readily available from there with a couple wires attached to it. I should have the speakers by the middle of next week and I'll post a description with pictures on how to install them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts