Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my Escape used with about 29,000 kilometres (18,000 miles), I've been curious if I will be needing a brake job soon. I've read some vehicles (eg. Dodge Journey, Honda Accord) suffer from premature brake wear. How does our Escape fair? Can some of you fine people post some numbers of when you first needed brake work? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Brakes are very user specific in terms of wear rates. If you live in a city that requires a lot of stop and go, than your brakes will need replacement a lot sooner than a vehicle that sees little stop and go work. On average a vehicle should get anywhere between 30K - 50K miles out of the front brake pads and rotors. If you aren't used to pulling off the front wheels to look at the pads, you can schedule an oil change with the dealer and ask them to inspect the pad life for you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sleeve,

I won't be going in for an oil change anytime soon, but judging from the lack of responses, I'm assuming the brakes should be ok for awhile. I use to own a Tempo which was notorious for needing brakework every 20,000 kilometres (12,500 miles).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, I got a flyer in the mail last night (from Ford) that included the recommended service intervals. Ford calls for a brake inspection every 15K miles to verify wear rates, clean out the rear drums and identify any problems.

You should really think about an inspection at your next regularly scheduled service stop to get an idea of the remaining pad life.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I changed my front pads around 50K miles because I got tired of all the dirt on the wheels. Installed ceramic pads all around. Needed to change the rear ones around 55K because one of the pads got stuck in the frame and wore the one side down to nothing. Stay away from AZ duramax because they are giving me problems. Strange squeeks and clunk at times, Had them out twice to clean the nitrile coating that is supposed to stop brake noise. Tried CRC brake quiet - only worked a few weeks and the noise came back. Never had this much trouble with brake pads in all my years of installing them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts