Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal, I just bought the 02 Escape at a great price because it had a miss. It has a 160K+ miles on it so I could put some money in to it if needed. The A/C not working also. So I have been reading around and was going to tear the Intakes off and cehck all the plugs, coils, and wiring and change the gaskets while Im there. The front bank of plugs have been changed but upon looking the coils have never been touched. I changed all out the #3 plug was all plugged and looked like it had not fired for several thousand miles or so and the coil had a hair line crack at the top. I ohmed it out and checked ok. After putting all back together and started it still had the miss. The coil I changed to the front bank just incase needed changing. At the time I did not have code reader aval. until the next morning so I was tinkering around with the a/C to see what I could find there.
The compressor,accum,pressure switch and all the seals have been changed already but no voltage at the compressor. OK heres my mistake, I jumped the relay, which now I should have just left alone for the time being. After jumping the relay which I may have jumped the wrong pins and the compressor kicked in and ran for about a minute really loaded the engine down and then the motor died.
The main 120 main amp fuse blown but still had all the lights,dash light etc. So thought well too much of load and blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse, still nothing. I checked all fuses, IGN.switch, Gear selector (auto.) switch, relays and all check out ok. While checking out with a checklight I placed the probe in the main junction box where the starter diode is on hte leg back to the ECM while holding the starter key engaged and the starter kicked in I stopped as I did not want to burn anything else up at this point.

So here is my question I am thinking that I burned up the ECM (computer). The way that I am reading the diagram and I could be wrong is that there should be a signal from the ECM to the diode that kicks the starter. The next morning I bought a code reader and plugged in anyway just to see if I could pull the codes. The code reader cannot read any information from the computer. So am I guessing right with the ECM is defective? I just dont want to spend the 300 to 600 ford price if that may not be what it is. Maybe you KIND people can suggest something that I have missed. Thanks and look forward to my new Escape...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATED:
IT APPEARS THAT THE MAIN FUSE WAS NOT BLOWN AFTER ALL I RECHECKED ON THE BENCH AND TESTED GOOD.
I CONNECTED THE GROUND TO THE BATERY AND THE OTHER END OF THE TEST LIGHT INTO THE STARTER RELAY DIODE AND THE ENGINE WILL CRANK BUT WILL NOT RUN, I HAVE REPLACED THE DIODE WITH A NEW ONE AS WELL. I AM NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO TRY OR CHECK.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have no idea, other than to peruse the items on the circuit at the time. I think, like you probably are, that something else is toasted. I just don't know where to start on this issue. You seem to have more than just one problem working here.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Check all your interior fuses and your engine compartment fuses and relays. Replace where needed. If nothing happens after that check your fuel pump, even if it was working there is a chance you may have triggered the emergency shut off? May as well check it. Check to make sure you didnt detach any harnesses or vaccum lines by accicent. After that go to Ford or you local mechanic. see if they have any ideas. hope you find out your issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.