Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my escape today, i am in love with it. The drivers side window makes this aweful squeak sounds when i open it, almost like nails on a chalk board anyone know how to get rid of this? thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
I fixed this problem on mine by pulling off the driver door panel and putting some grease on the window guide. When you remove the door panel and the moisture barrier, you'll see a 2" or so wide gray metal track in the inside of the door, near the center. I used some cheap lithium grease to lubricate the inside of that track (the side facing away from you; you'll feel some lube in there already). I did this a few months ago and I haven't heard it squeak since.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's not too bad. There are four screws you need to remove: one on the rear of the door (closest to the B-pillar), one in the door handle, one behind the black door latch cup, and one near the front under a large round cover. Remove those, noting the sizes. Then, I just yank the door panel outward from the bottom and work my way up. The top hooks over the window lip, so you'll have to lift up a bit to remove the door. Be careful, though, as those door panel clips are not hard to break.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine does the same thing when lifting back up - I had figured it was probably just a lack of lubrication but glad to "know" that's all it is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought an '06 escape about a year ago in the winter and I didn't realize the window squeak until the Spring came. Well finally thanks to the OP's instructions I fixed it today!! Tip: spray the grease on your hand and rub it on the track instead of trying to bend the straw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also have the squeak on my 06 but in addition to that when both my windows are down a few inches they appear to be loose as they rattle a bit. Is this common with other E/M/T's or does the track most likely need adjusting?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I haven't tried my passenger side window, but when I first noticed my drivers side squeak issue, I found there was some play in the window itself. I could move it by hand maybe .25" - .5" in all directions. This would temporarily cause the noise to go away. My windows do not rattle though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I have temporarily fixed this problem twice (maybe 3 times, I don't remember) with white lithium grease. The squeak is back and I am looking for a more permanent solution so I don't have to keep taking my door apart. Is there a better lubricant I should use or is there something that can be done to the track itself?

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I'm curious about this too. My passenger side window is terrible now. It used to only make the noise when it was cold out. Now it's all the time. I'm wondering if it's possibly an alignment issue with the tracks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
RobtRoma said:
I'm curious about this too. My passenger side window is terrible now. It used to only make the noise when it was cold out. Now it's all the time. I'm wondering if it's possibly an alignment issue with the tracks...
If I remember right, there isn't a lot of room to actually get at the track to see it. I remember having to spray the grease on my hand and reaching around to rub it on the track. I think I am going to give it another shot today, if only to save my hearing. When it squeaks, it squeaks LOUD.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've done it once more about a year ago, perhaps, using normal grease (the stuff that comes in a round container) and haven't had a squeak since then.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Use White lithium grease only on the metal to metal parts,,Use silicone grease in the rubber channels where the window slides in..Rubber gets dry and causes the window to stick and make noises...

·
Registered
62 Posts
The J said:
I've done it once more about a year ago, perhaps, using normal grease (the stuff that comes in a round container) and haven't had a squeak since then.
I will keep this in mind in case there is a next time. Do you have a link or a product name you can share? Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
jbone2470 said:
Use White lithium grease only on the metal to metal parts,,Use silicone grease in the rubber channels where the window slides in..Rubber gets dry and causes the window to stick and make noises...
I don't think that is the cause of the issue some of us experience. I tried that at first to no avail, but as soon as I lube the track the squeak goes away. I just haven't figured out how to make it last.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Oh i know..Just was giving out some advice for the window channels..You know i was thinking..maybe using something like PAM,a cooking spray with teflon in it, or even vaseline.If anyone finds out a great fix for this please share.i am sure i will exeperience this sometime in my escapes life, but not yet..110,000 miles and going.... :peace:

·
Registered
62 Posts
jbone2470 said:
Oh i know..Just was giving out some advice for the window channels..You know i was thinking..maybe using something like PAM,a cooking spray with teflon in it, or even vaseline.If anyone finds out a great fix for this please share.i am sure i will exeperience this sometime in my escapes life, but not yet..110,000 miles and going.... :peace:
Gotcha. Here is to 110k more!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fantastic to hear that I can make this terrible screech disappear with a grease job. This has been doing that terrible noise for the 5 years I have owned the truck. I find when it is really cold out -20 deg Celsius + it will do it from about 1/2 way up to closed. I end up putting slight pressure inward until the last bit and get my fingers out of the way to stop it.

Thanks for the tip
Officially added to the to do list asap!
Snap

·
Registered
280 Posts
RickWakeman said:
The J said:
I will keep this in mind in case there is a next time. Do you have a link or a product name you can share? Thanks!
I believe it was this stuff, which I just happened to have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts