Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,

I just thought that I'd share something with anyone who builds their own computers and/or servers.

If you're planning on buying Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 (or even Vista, for whatever reason), be aware that the OEM versions will NOT allow you to eventually upgrade your motherboard. You're stuck with that hardware configuration for that copy of Windows.

MS started this type of activation with Vista, and it continues to Windows 7 and Server 2008. Windows XP activation allowed only one copy per computer, although you could upgrade the hardware, regardless of OEM or retail boxed versions.

If you plan on upgrading your motherboard (and some other hardware, although I haven't been able to find out what other hardware affects activation on these versions), buy only the retail box versions. Yes, they're much more expensive. Look around for the best prices.

Luckily, I found out about this before my plans to upgrade two of my servers to Server 2008. And luckily, retail box versions of Server 2008 are usually only about $20 more than the OEM versions.

That's my geek speak for the day. Carry on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Was Windows 7 your idea? :lol:
I've never purchased an upgrade before, I always wait until it comes with my next new computer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
rehctelf said:
Was Windows 7 your idea? :lol:
I've never purchased an upgrade before, I always wait until it comes with my next new computer.
That's me too!

OOPS! I forgot, this PC has the XP from my previous box... :bag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,280 Posts
I like XP and am not smart enoungho mess with adding an update like that. I'll also wait till we get a new computer :shades:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,571 Posts
jonas1022 said:
rehctelf said:
Was Windows 7 your idea? :lol:
I've never purchased an upgrade before, I always wait until it comes with my next new computer.
That's me too!

OOPS! I forgot, this PC has the XP from my previous box... :bag:
I'm the opposite. When a new operating system comes out I usually upgrade. I try and wait long enough for them to work out the kinks.
When I upgraded to Windows 7, I was having problems with some of my programs crashing. After playing around, I found in the control panel under System and Security where you could fix problems. There is a place where you could select to run programs made for previous versions of windows. That has helped. I also downloaded an update for my mail program ( I use incredimail ) and this program is not crashing like it was. It really bugs me to no end when my computer is not running the way that I want it to and I usually keep plugging away until it does.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,543 Posts
I knew about this a long time ago. That's one of the reasons I don't get OEM software for myself. I only get full packages or Upgrade Packages. I recently read an article that said MS changed its OEM Licence Agreement for Windows 7 (and I think Vista too) so that you can only install the OEM software if you are a reseller. In other words, you "technically" can't install it on a computer you build for yourself... Oh the wonderful world of MS gotchas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
RobtRoma said:
I knew about this a long time ago. That's one of the reasons I don't get OEM software for myself. I only get full packages or Upgrade Packages. I recently read an article that said MS changed its OEM Licence Agreement for Windows 7 (and I think Vista too) so that you can only install the OEM software if you are a reseller. In other words, you "technically" can't install it on a computer you build for yourself... Oh the wonderful world of MS gotchas!
---MS did this 'one' only machine with their Money program. Now they have phased it out completely. No more MS money.
I'm going to pass the win7 info along to my kids and to my Grand-son inlaw, in case he doesn't know.
He's suppose to be an expert, graduated from Drexel last Jan., and
is actually working for them now. He use to be 'kinda' a big help a
few years ago, but now he's designing systems or something and
is 'no help' with these old PC problems. I get the 'duh, yeah try that or I
don't know, I never ran into that problem.' I guess genuis's :roll: are beyond
windows XP.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
:lol: That sounds familiar. I bet if you got him to sit at the computer, he'd have it solved in a few minutes. I'm the same way - I don't use XP anymore, so it's hard to remember where everything is much less convey them over the phone. Put me down at the computer and everything comes back to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Estelle2 said:
Here's the latest news about Windows 7, a major number of complaints!

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/09/technol ... /index.htm
LOL Most of those "complaints" are from people in over their heads. Granted, the upgrade path to 7 can be treacherous and Microsoft didn't do the best education job, but there are plenty of internet talking heads that have pointed these issues out ahead of time. I'm guessing none of the complainants ran the MS win 7 compability test program either.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top