Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a small crack in my windshield on the escape, right in front of inspection sticker a little longer than the sticker. brought it to safeline auto glass they said the crack was too big to repair, i wont have the money for a new windshield for like two weeks and its not covered through my insurance so i'm wondering if anyone here has any tips on maybe anything i can do to keep or help the crack from not spreading any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
278 Posts
This has happened to me on my other vehicle. Depending on where you live, you may be ok. If you live in a climate where the temperature goes below 0 then the crack will spread as soon as it is cold outside and you turn on the heat. Trust me on this one. The heat/cold don't mix and the crack will spread. :mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Though the crack may spread, even all the way up / down or across the windshield, keep in mind that they are specifically designed NOT to shatter. You should be fine for quite a while.

I drove my 02 Golf with a crack all the way across for an entire New Brunswick Canada winter with no issues. As long as it is not obstructing your view you will be fine for a bit.

This is a good reason to have a decent comprehensive insurance policy on a newer vehicle. For a couple bucks a month in premiums you can get your windshield replaced for just your deductible and your premiums won't increase. Mine is $100 and that is far cheaper than any windshield replacement.

Keep in mind I base the above on nothing other than my own experiences. I drove with a crack all the way across for almost a year, right up until the car failed it's inspection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.