Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what this rubber piece is at the bottom of the windshield and where I could get a new one? Mine seems to be falling apart.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
That just looks like the windshield gasket. Not sure where you are located but a place that repairs windshields like Safelite should be able to replace that for you...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Glad to know mine's not the only one doing that! I haven't looked into getting this fixed, but please do share your results with us.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in south Florida, can I do this myself and do I have to take the window out to do it?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Mine is in good shape luckily, but as far as I know the rubber peice is molded to the plastic cowl. I could be wrong but I think you need to purchase the entire cowl. It looks like its molded to the plastic on my 04 Escape XLT

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Not really sure if you can do it yourself. Both times I had my windshield replaced (on my old cars, not my Escape), it was done by Safelite. I didn't pay that much attention. I know they had special tools and did it really quickly...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It shouldnt be hard to remove the cowl. You have to remove the wiper arms, remove some screw caps, remove 8 screws, and a few plastic screw fastners and it comes right out. I would check out a junk yard for a good looking peice. I shouldnt be hard find. I just got some cowl screw caps from an 01 Escape and it's cowl was perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks Ill check around and let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is part of the cowl, i just took this piece off yesterday, (passenger side) to put in a cabin air filter.

Just turn the wipers on and shut off the truck when they are in the middle of the windshield, they will stay there, then you can remove the little circle screw covers with a screwdriver. Easy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yep, part of the cowl. I replaced mine about a year ago. They're about $60 or so a piece at the dealer. Pretty easy to replace. Also easy to lose the little plastic covers for the screws. I'm missing at least one.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
If it is the cowl, it is very easy to replace. Click here for the official Escape-City instructions. The part is called the cowl grille and you can find it online by clicking here

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Went outside before to double check... Just as ajc, jordan & LEO said, it is part of the cowl grille. Easy fix. :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, Good morning. I just joined the forum, and have a little insight on the windshield rubber.
Unfortunately, it is part of the "Cowl Vent Screens" there is a left and a right. The glass company does not have them separately, I checked when I had them at the house to replace a windshield on another vehicle. So far I have ONLY found them from Ford, at least for the 2001-2003 model years, list price is (sit down) about $100 each. OUCH!! I am still looking for an aftermarket supplier or a dealer that will charge less than list price, good luck to me. The seal is not critical, but sort of necessary as it does redirect rain away from the firewall and down into the proper areas.
I will keep looking as I am cheep and hate to pay full price for something like that. We got the Escape new and its got 290,000 miles on it now. Been a good vehicle.
I am going to look at other posts. I am concerned about the subframe rusting through and breaking. My front K member just broke and upon inspection, I feel the NTSB is going to get some pictures and information from me.
I was an ASE Master Tech. for 20 years before my back became an issue and now I teach at a local college so I feel qualified to make the call that sub-standard materials and welds may be involved. I am going to start a new thread if one doesn't already exist about this. The friend/shop owner that replaced the parts for me has also seen another Escape do this on the rear sub-frame, on a 2007 Escape so all Tribute/Escape owners should be made aware to be looking.

OK, again. Thank you I should have looked before I wrote so much. There is some information on a pending recall 14S02 that should covet my Escape, but I don't think it is going to be inclusive enough. The recall looks to be only covering '01-04 Escape and my friend has replaced the subframe on the rear of a 2007 as well. Just remember to try to have your mechanic look it over, or better yet, if you are able, look at it yourself.

I can and will post pictures of what to look for it requested. Just reply to this post and I will open a new thread relating to the subframe front and try to get pics of the rear when I can.

·
Registered
122 Posts
SomeGuyInNC said:
I'm new to the forum but have this problem with my 2002 New to Me Escape. I plan to do what this guy on YouTube did:

Carl
Unique way of correcting the issue... I am having this problem also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts