Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Windshield streaks when wet...

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JIMMYJOHN 
#1 ·
I'm not sure what causes it...but my acura does the same thing...streaks on the windshield that disappear when it dries. Otherwise you can't get rid of them. The new 09 Escape isn't a month old and I took it to work very early, using the wipers as I drove and noticed it's caught the same streaky windshield disease... there is nothing like driving into the sun in rushhour and finding your entire windshield has gone opaque :(
I suspect it's acid rain ..coupled with the direction the vehicles sit in the drive, and it bakes on when the sun rises..
I've done alot of research, and I know, based on experimenting with the acura, nothing takes it off...steel wool, wd40 etc.
I'm going to sport out and use the Z12 but the small print mentions "NOTE: Due to recent manufacturer inconsistencies in glass production, it is necessary for you to test a small inconspicuous area prior to use."
Has anyone else used this Zainos glass polish...is there some sort of coating I should be concerned about?

#3 ·
I wax my windshield which seems to help for a few months until the wax wears off - mine isn't as bad or as noticeable as yours sounds, so I don't bother with it. Also try cleaning your wiper blade frequently - sometimes road dirt/oil will build up on it and cause those streaks.

Now are you sure those streaks are on the outside? In the wintertime here, we'll wipe off frost on the inside with our hands and leave a residue on the windshield. I have to clean the inside about once a month or oncoming headlights will completely obscure forward vision.

#4 ·
Yes, the wipers are clean..and have been replaced a few times. If you look at the windshield in the morning, with a layer of dew on the car, you can see all the lines running thru the glass, all around, not just the front as I'd assumed.
When the wipers swipe it you can easily see the tracks left by the lines, and until the window is completely dry they don't go away.
I've bought the Z12 and will try that this weekend..hope it's worth the money :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.