Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CRAP! :fan:
I feel so stupid! :doh:
I wanted to do a fantastic job of cleaning the windshield of bugs, that I decided to use a scrub pad.
Guess what?
I got rid of the bugs, but it scratched it nicely.
Lovely swirl marks everywhere...mostly on the driver's side.
Not really noticible, but when the sun hits it, or at night, it's pretty bad!
Can this be removed, or am I looking at a new windshield and does anyone know how much this will cost me?

I did the same thing once. I just suffered with it until I traded in. I too felt like a idiot :spank: .Let us know how it works out. I know there's glass polish on the market, but it sounds like you scratched the light tint thats applied to the windshield like I did.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Meowky said:
I wanted to do a fantastic job of cleaning the windshield of bugs, that I decided to use a scrub pad.
Guess what?
I got rid of the bugs, but it scratched it nicely.
:doh:
I hope you're able to sort it without putting too much of a hole in your wallet! :(

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If you run your wipers allot, they will wear the glass smooth. But that's like ten years away. Maybe you should think about a new windshield if it's real badly scratched. New windshield is cheaper than bodywork because you can not see to drive properly.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Don't bother with that. They make scratch fillers for glass/plastic/metal and what not. Hell I think a coat of wax would even help out for the time being. Goto any Auto Parts store and you should find something there.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Imho, wax will make it worse. Wax turns white when dry. Not something you would want in your line of vision. And wax streaks when the wipers have been run across it, leaving lines that reflect light badly at night. Ask me how I know... :doh:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Meowky said:
Not really noticible, but when the sun hits it, or at night, it's pretty bad!
If it's just swirling in sunlight (i.e., can't feel it with a fingernail), here ya go:

tape the trim/rubber/whatever around the glass
mix 50/50 Windex with REAL chrome polish (NOT "safe for any finish" - WITH abrasives)
polisher (or drill) with a wool bonnet

let us know how it worked (and how much effort it took).

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Did you ever run your wipers and not realize that the blades were worn down to the backer that stiffens the blade assembley? :mad: :cry: :bang: I have. I was 17 years old at the time. But it still counts as an experience. ;)

I didn't replace that windshield either. I "let" the new blades polish the glass to a clear smoothness. It took two years, but the scratches wore off.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
In the bigger scheme of things in life, if you have the money and the insurance doesn't kick in, I would just pay for it out of pocket. It's too important to see properly where your going. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
It be only a suggestion but if it was me, the windshield would be replaced. The drivers visibility is of paramount importance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this thread is kinda old, but for future references: When I worked at the stealership we used 00 steel wool to get bugs, window chalk, sticker adhesive, etc. off glass. Use some water or foaming glass cleaner with it and it won't scratch the glass.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
That's good to know Ryno! Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you tell me NOW?

lol!
Just kidding.
I'll be trying the windex and chrome polish this weekend...haven't had any time at all since the first post!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Next time use a razor blade with Windex or some kind of window cleaner. First you spray Windex on to the windshiled and begin scrapping away with the razor blade.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I should have gone with the razor blade in the first place!

FYI, I tried the 50/50 mix of windex and chrome polish...not one bit of difference, and you can't feel the scratches with fingernail at all.
Looks like a new windshield is going to have to be the answer :rant: :wall: :mad:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If you can not feel the difference with your fingernail, I'd sure invest in a $20 polisher from Home Depot and some Polish. That will buff out! :yes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts