Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here guys, and I'm wondering what would be suggested Winter tires for my Ford Escape?

225/65R17

Initially I was looking into the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 but after some search, I found some people that did not approve this tire for Winters with lots of snow (I live in Montreal). Kept searching and found some people raving about the Bridgestone BLIZZAK WS-60

anyway, what is your 2 cents guys?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Winter tires, (or tyres for fish-and-chips aficionados), differ a lot from brand to brand.
Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop and Nokian all make top efficiency winter tires...but not all tires behave the same, depending on the state of the surface.Some are better on soft snow, others are better on ice and some drive better on slush.
For Montreal with its extremely low winter temperatures I would choose the tire with the softest
compound.I am sure that you will be able to find a reputable tire place in your area where you will have the right guidance.
I am not always taking it for granted what some people write in forums.Their comments may be legitimate for their weather conditions but most probably not for mine.

·
Registered
758 Posts
How about the Goodyear Fontera Triple Tread or Nokia WR all season tires that both feature the "snowflake and mountain" symbol. This indicates tires meeting severe winter requirements. A huge bonus-a treadwear rating of 60,000 miles for the Goodyear and 50,000 miles for the Nokia. Pure winter tires do not carry any treadwear warranty. I got the Goodyear tires and use them four months a year with excellent results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can't use the All Season tires in Quebec, by law we must have Winter tires by December 15

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought Hankook Dynapro i*Pike winter tires for my Escape last year and they worked great! They have a nice soft compound and a lot of sipes in the tread. I live in Toronto, but I drive up North into the snow belt region for skiing, and having these tires on my car made a huge difference over all season tires. Especially when pulling out of my Uncles steep snow covered driveway. We didn't get much snow at all in the city last winter, and these tires performed great on dry roads with minimal tread wear, and a quiet ride. I sound like a freaking commercial, but I really like these tires lol. I bought mine online at 1010tires.com, they had free shipping on all winter tires.

Good luck!

P.S. GO LEAFS GO!!! :yahoo:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Treadwear is irrelevant when dealing with true and honest winter tires.
The softer they are the better they behave in the cold and with their sophisticated tread pattern any comparison with the "benefits" of an all-season tire is nothing short of dangerous.
Their life expectancy is trully short, 15000 miles at best but make the driving in the winter as safe as it can be.
Another interesting point are all those signs with mountain peaks and snow flakes that the manufacturer puts on its tires.
These are all arbitrary and verifiable only my the manufacturer, as is the treadwear figure.
With the exemption of the speed index which is DOT controlled, the international tire industry has its products self rated.
A good example is the BF Goodrich Mud tire which even has a snow flake engraved on its side.
Well, those tires may be excellent for dry off-roading but when mud comes to play they are totally inefficient.
"Consumer's Report" has some excellent tests and pointers of winter tires which they redo almost every year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Patius said:
Dub - I checked those ones you are talking about, and they could be the ones, but they don't make the size I need them (225/65R17) :-(

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Hankook&tiremodel=Dynapro+i*Pike+RW07

unless I get wheels for those babies eh?

and I'm also checking these ones out http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...010&autoModel=Escape 4wd&autoModClar=XLT 4cyl
Yeah, maybe just buy a 16" black steel wheel set, and mount the winter tires on them. The size you would need is 235/70R16. Then you can just swap your stock and winter wheels as the seasons change. If you have a jack and torque wrench, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently looking for winter rims and tires too. I am in a long debate between getting them off my ford dealer or going to a tire shop to get them. The dealer is offering me a set of michelin x ice xi2 on oem winter rims, balanced with the tire sensors for $1089 plus tax + installation + 70 rebate. But I am hearing good and negative stuff about the michelins. Or if I go to a tire shop, I can get my choice of tires ex. bridgestone blizzak DM-V1, but with a multi fit rim, with no sensors for about $860 plus tax + installation. What do you guys think I should go with? The ford parts manager said that she is giving me a great deal because she has an overstock of the michelins and wants to get rid of them, and if I were to purchase the oem rims they were about $70/each, also without the sensors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts