Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as of right now i have a custom made switch box with 6 switches. made it so i could stop drilling holes in panels for switches. however now i want to replace it with something i have been looking into for the past few weeks.

does anyone know if this will work for what im trying to do? all the reading ive done points to it working i just want to be positive.
i want to install this unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12CH-RF-Wireless-Re ... 3a53421bff

ebay number:250504944639
it states it has a 12v/12ch output. i have 8 Relays. my plan is to connect my relays switch wire's up to the output's of this device, so the relays can all be wirelessly controlled.

does anyone who's good with electronic circuit boards know if this will work?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey B, this seems like a cool solution to your wiring needs. It looks like these relays have a 20a rating, so you should be able to run just about anything through them. Although due to the terminal size it looks like the max wire size you might be able to get in there is 16ga, which is only rated for 3.7a. Their wiring diagram is labeled a bit funny, but I think it goes something like this:

AB - whatever is run through here will be always on, until the relay is activated
BC - whatever is run through here will be always off, until the relay is activated

To connect anything, you simply need to run the 12v positive (or ground I suppose, but not both!!) portion of the circuit through the relay. Depending on whether you want the default to be on or off, you use the above corresponding combination. The remote will surely work internally, no matter where you are within the vehicle.

What kind if gear do you have running through your relays?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply, yeah thats what i was confused about. it says it can handle all 12v accesories and what not but you cant fit a large enough guage wire into it lol.

which is why i figure i would just hook it right up to my existing relays switch wire so i will technically be putting a very minimal load onto it.

ordered it yesterday so im excited to get it wired up and working.

heres my current switch box (version 3) which i will miss having somewhat:

right now i have the 8 relay panel and 7 relays are being used for my own foglight switch, driving lights, amp rack fans and lights, 400w power inverter for the xbox, grill neon, interior lights, emergency strobe lights, and some other small things.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In regards to "relaying a relay", I would run whatever you can through this new box. The 12v power "in" at the bottom center of the board will supply enough power to turn on/off all of the relays and complete the circuit on the other side . Regardless of what that actually is on the other side of that circuit, as long as the load within the safe range of the wire it will never be an issue.

If your wiring gauge is small enough, run it all through there - but if not then I guess you have to relay a relay. It's always best to minimize unnecessary electrical components, to shield yourself from higher failure rates and having to perform extended troubleshooting.

Summing it up - unfortunately they over-engineered the components or under-spec'ed the connections.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still waiting for the parts to come in from ebay. Ordered the remote and some LED's to use as on off light's for each button so i know which things are activated. should be in early next week hopfully, and i will get lots of pics of the install.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
arggg finally got it in the mail. wired it all up then spent an hour trying to program it... they said the program numbers were 3,6 and 9 they were actually 1,2 and 4 lol.

after getting past that i finally got it on the mode i want, however there doesnt seem to be any output power comming from the relays.. i can hear them clicking on and off however a 12v light tester doesnt light up and an LED doesnt light up... and after playing around with it for 2 hours i gave up. i emailed the seller and hopfully i will be able to figure out why the relays wont output any power..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Shouldn't the relay activation effectively just complete the circuit on the other end? I don't think it actually puts out power through the relay, because if you were to have every relay active drawing max, you'd be letting the smoke out of something on that board for sure. Your input wires to that board would have to be 8ga or something like that to even draw 2 amps per relay safely if all were on.

If the relay is clicking, then the board is functioning properly i would think. The other half of the relay needs to be put in the middle of the ground, or the 12v wire going to the accessory. Try putting 12v on one side of the relay, and a light on the other side and ground to whatever. By activating the relay, it should light up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i spent roughly 2 hours trouble shooting it. i tried hooking my relays switch wire up to the relays on the board and nothing happened, also tried using a 12v light tester to see if power was comming from relays. also as a last attempt i hooked a regular single LED up to the relays to see if it would even power that and nothing. also used a pretty thick wire to feed it power but maybe i will try a larger one. but this definatly did leave me baffled, as ive worked alot with relays and never seen this.. also the relays on the board were roughly half the size of my regular relays if that means anything..

not quite sure what you mean by connecting it in the middle of the ground?

as far as it sits right now i emailed the guy said it wasnt working and i sent it back. i did some research and aparently these units come designed specifically for 12v and one specifically for 120v NOT both as stated.. i just assumed he sent me the 120 by accident but we will see. he said hes "contacting his suplier about it and will send me a new one." but basically he sounded baffled also lol.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay im not happy.

QUOTE from auction:

"Control lights, TV, motors, fans, cameras, video signals, audio signals, electric doors, locks, windows, curtains, cars or any other appliances with voltage AC 110~240V or DC 0~28V"

now the emails:

ME >

Hello i bought a 12ch wireless remote from you and i have it all connected
however there is no output power from any relays. Ive tried all three modes, i
can hear the relays clicking however none of them are outputing power? Why is
this? Its hooked up to 12v.

THEM >

Hello,
Sorry about this case.
In the advert, we stated that, Supply Voltage: 12V DC
Are you sure your power system is 12V direct current?
Just attach the manual from online for you to have a reference.
You can have a search as well.
If you confirm it's the problem of the item, we can offer you the replacement.
Otherwise, I think it's battery to give you the refund after we get the return.
Best regards,

ME getting frustrated >

I am 100% it is being connected to 12v direct. I am connecting it to my ford
escapes 12v battery. Once connected i could hear the relays clicking but no
power came from them. Tried hooking LEDs to it, 12v light tester and even
another relay to the output and nothing worked. Is this unit designed to power
12v vehicle lighting? I spent two hours trobleshooting it with no luck. What is
this unit commonly used for??

THEM >

Hello,
Thanks for your efforts in this case.
Sorry if we haven't found out the problem first.
Is this unit designed to power 12v vehicle lighting?
I don't think so.
Let's say it plainly.
It's used with lock. It's the control for lock.
You can control all kinds locks remotely after you connect all well.
We'd like to refund you after we get your return item.
Is it OK?
We will advise you while we get the item back.
Should you have any queries, pls kindly contact us.
Best regards,

this is me frustrated....

·
Registered
311 Posts
bummer man, yeah I thought those relays were small but I figured it could carry enough load to activate whatever circuit you needed it to. Unfortuately that's the downfall wiith eBay. Sounds like a foreign person trying to hawk stuff that they don't fully understand.

In any event, if you get your refund you might make a call down to the local auto custom shop and see if they use anything like that and could sell/refer you to a reputable brand. I really like the idea of it all on one board, and if I had more accessories it would be totally worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts