Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum!

This is my first post and since I'm not a native speaker, I do apologize for my poor english. :roll:
I just bought a 2006 Ford Maverick (=Escape) XLT 4x4 with the 2,3 Duratec engine. I love the look and feel of the car and I look forward to every journey I make with it. :D

There's only one minor problem I have with the remote lock. There is no visible sign whether the car is locked or not (only the alarm can be confirmed). So I bought a device to confirm the locking or unlocking action. The only problem I have is that I can't find the cables for the indicators :confused:

I removed all the panels and checked the indicator switch, but couldn't find it. I need the cable for:
- indicator left
- indicator right
- signal for opening (+)
- signal for locking (+)
- the cable between indicator switch and the relais

Could anyone tell me where to get these signals and what color they have?

Thanks and greetings from Austria,
Lupo

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hi Lupo.

I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but I thought your English was without fault, so don't worry about posting any further questions or queries in future!
:yes: :clap:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

I can help with this if I could see the instructions included with this device. The 2005-2007 Escapes/Mavericks use solid-state devices to flash the turn signal indicators, and there are separate connections for the front and rear signals (meaning that the front and rear lamps on each side are not tied together to one circuit), so I don't want to give you the wrong connections.

I'm also unsure of the "cable between the indicator switch" wire and what kind of connection it requires.

Are you able to scan the instructions to an image file?

Again, welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Guten Tag! Willkommen zu Escape-City!

My name is Scott and I want to welcome you to a world of knowledge for your new Maverick...even though I don't have the answer for you I'm sure JP will be able to hook you up.

PEACE!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Mein Name ist Scott, und ich möchte Euch herzlich zu einer Welt des Wissens für Ihren neuen Maverick ... obwohl ich habe die Antwort nicht für dich Ich bin mir sicher, dass JP können Sie Haken.

I thought you'd finish the whole post in German.

:bang:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Scott and Big Chris!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Big Chris said:
... I thought your English was without fault, so don't worry...
You should've told this to my english teacher back in the days. :doh:

Lupo

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
jpark said:
Mein Name ist Scott, und ich möchte Euch herzlich zu einer Welt des Wissens für Ihren neuen Maverick ... obwohl ich habe die Antwort nicht für dich Ich bin mir sicher, dass JP können Sie Haken.

I thought you'd finish the whole post in German.

:bang:
Thanks JP...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Lupo116 said:
Hi Scott and Big Chris!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Big Chris said:
... I thought your English was without fault, so don't worry...
You should've told this to my english teacher back in the days. :doh:

Lupo
Time travel isn't possible yet, but I'm working on it.

:D

PS...HEY!!! I welcomed you, too.

:cry:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Oh quit your crying JP...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi jpark!

Sorry, I'm not that quick! Thanks for your welcome, too!
jpark said:
I can help with this if I could see the instructions included with this device.
No Problem! (English instruction starts on page 17, the circuit diagram is on page 5-7)

The device has two options:
One is for blinking every time the the central locking is activated (via remote control or key). This would help a lot, so I'd be glad if I could make this work.
The other option is for repeated blinking every time you press the indicator switch. This is nice if you change the lane on the motorway i.e. But I could easily live without it! ;) On the other hand, while I'm on it....

Thanks,
Lupo

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Let me take a closer look at this. From what I can see so far, it looks like the vehicle needs to have front and rear signals (and the cluster indicator) tied together in one circuit. The Escape/Maverick uses separate front and rear circuits, so you may only be able to use this on the front OR rear signals, but not both (at least not without extra wiring, possibly with a relay for each side).

I'll let you know!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi jpark!
jpark said:
The Escape/Maverick uses separate front and rear circuits, so you may only be able to use this on the front OR rear signals, but not both (at least not without extra wiring, possibly with a relay for each side).
Doesn't sound too good. :(

jpark said:
I'll let you know!
Thanks! As I said, it would be nice to have, but if it's not possible I could live with locking the door two times, so I get a blinking. I didn't know that this is possible when i bought it. This is one of the things I learnd from this forum. :hi:

Lupo

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm still looking at the diagram. It may be possible to use the turn signal switch inputs instead of the lamp outputs to drive the signals.

All of the other connections are definitely available in the Escape/Maverick.

I just need a few more minutes!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Hell you said that over 2 hours ago!!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It took me that long to translate the manual.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Is it in German?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
German, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Lupo, I see two problems with this device that make me think that you should return it, if you can.

1) The lamp outputs assume that all lamps on one side of the car are tied to one circuit. On most new Fords, US and European, the turn signals are individually driven by solid-state devices known as "high-side FETs". The only lamps wired in parallel are the fender repeater lamps, cluster indicators, and the front turn signals. The rear signals are on separate circuits. I then thought that since the Escape's turn signal inputs are ground-switched, you could drive those inputs with the device's lamp outputs. But that circuit is disabled when you lock the doors with the engine off, so you wouldn't have the flashing lamps when you lock or unlock the doors using the remote.

2) The relay input circuit is very vaguely described by the instructions. When instructions instruct you to seek assistance if you don't understand the instructions, yet give very little in the way of specifics of every input, I have to wonder how many of these devices are destroyed because poor instructions. If this input said "Normally tied to ground, goes high when signals are activated" or something like that, I'd be clear on what it needs. But other than the diagrams, that particular input isn't well-documented.

This device is a great idea, but the only way you could get it to work on an Escape/Maverick (and only on 2005-2007 models) would be to diode-isolate the outputs with 5A diodes to each rear lamp and each front lamp circuit, and hope that the relay input circuit works correctly with the Escape's turn signal switch.

Are you handy with electronics? I could design a simple 4000-series CMOS circuit to flash the signal lamps three or four times when you lock or unlock the doors, and I'd need a little more time to design one for the turn signal lane-change feature. The Escape's low-current inputs make these circuits small, simple, and very efficient.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi jpark!

Thank you for your help and your time. I'm afraid I'm not too handy with electronics, although I managed to install a park distance control and a cellphone handsfree unit. Replacing the speaker in the front door gave me a hard time too, so I'd pass on soldering cables on a circuit board. :fire:

Meanwhile I got used to locking the doors twice and since the alarm is activated too, it's also safer. I was told, that the Ford couldn't confirm any signal from the remote control at all, so I bought that device. I'll return it and buy some other useless device instead. ;)

Thank you and have a nice day!
Lupo

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts