Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got in my 2001 Escape V6 today and while I was driving away, it would run at about 2,000 RPMs, the violently shift down to 1,000. It did this twice and never again. I stopped once and shut off my car and it started with no problem. When I get ready to leave, it wont start at all. It cranks and sounds just like it is going to start but never does. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key, so I know its not that (besides the fact that I changed it about 2 months ago). Could it be a bad starter or spark plugs? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you are able to turn the key and the engine spins from the starter then the starter is fine. Unless it is binding or spinning extremely slow. If the engine doens't start and you continue to crank the engine the battery will lose its ability to power the starter properly. I would find it hard to believe that all 6 spark plugs fouled at the same time but its not impossible. Does the check engine light come on. If the check engine light is on then the vehicle has store a trouble code that can be retrieved with a scanner that can point you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Has the battery ever been changed? My Escape would crank & crank & crank and not start. I would have to go from off to run with the key up to 6 or 7 times before it would fire up. Since I changed the battery, it fires right up every time.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out it was the fuel pump, even though it is brand new. :rant: I have another one ordered and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and put it in. Thankfully it's still under warranty, so Im going to save about $250. :yahoo: I did end up killing my battery, :doh: but I got it all charged up and ready to go.

Thanks for the help anyway

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Glad you got it figured out :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
WOW! Glad you got that resolved. I don't know that I would have suspected the pump, especially if you hear it pumping with the key on.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, back to the drawing board, got the new pump in and it still won't start. :wall: I have fuel pressure at the engine, but still no start. Hmmm..... :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Okay, so now you've got one of three things needed. Fuel. Now it's time to verify the other two, that being air and spark. Make sure your air filter is clean and the tubing is not plugged. As far as spark, I'm not sure how you would test COP although the fact that it's not starting at all would suggest it goes deeper that a COP or two. I'm not sure but you could probably use a test light and unplug the front three COPs and test each harness to make sure they are getting power. Only other thing I've encountered that caused a no start with everything else operating correctly was a clogged catalytic converter. As soon as we disconnected the exhaust from the header, it fired right up. Unfortunately, you can't do that with these trucks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
How about fuel filter

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going to check the crank sensor tomorrow, and I did replace the fuel filter and still no luck...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turn out it was the crank sensor (although i said that about the fuel pump too) but it actually starts now. Thanks for all the help and advice. :)

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Fingers crossed this is it for good! :thumb:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Did the replacement of the crank sensor continue to work? I'm having starting problems myself and I'm trying to make a list of everything that could be wrong. So far I have come up with the following...

1) Fuel Pump - Doubtful because I can hear it kick on, but I'm going to check the fuel pressure.
2) Fuel Filter
3) Fuel Pressure Regulator
4) Crank Sensor
5) IAC? Sensor
6) Bad timing/chain
7) I know I have a alternator going bad, but I doubt this is the problem due to the fact that it cranks, but does not want to fire up.
*EDIT*
8) Mass Air Flow Sensor

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
132 Posts
ISU01XCapeXLT said:
Did the replacement of the crank sensor continue to work? I'm having starting problems myself and I'm trying to make a list of everything that could be wrong. So far I have come up with the following...

1) Fuel Pump - Doubtful because I can hear it kick on, but I'm going to check the fuel pressure.
2) Fuel Filter
3) Fuel Pressure Regulator
4) Crank Sensor
5) IAC? Sensor
6) Bad timing/chain
7) I know I have a alternator going bad, but I doubt this is the problem due to the fact that it cranks, but does not want to fire up.
*EDIT*
8) Mass Air Flow Sensor

Any other ideas?
If it's not starting or having troubles starting, the IAC shouldn't be affecting anything. If it has trouble idling or RPMs rising and falling while stopped or in park, then I would suspect IAC. Bad timing chain should lead to the motor not running right or at all. If it breaks, it won't run, and if it skips, the motor might run all choppy. If the motor is cranking, but does not want to fire, the alternator probably isn't the culprit either.

Fuel filter may prevent the system from properly charging the fuel rails before kick-over. Bad crank sensor could cause starting troubles. MAF could as well, but be very careful checking/cleaning this. The MAF sensor wire is very thin, fragile and sensitive.

The most likely systems are going to be fuel, which you've recognized and have a good number of places to start looking in that system, and ignition. If you're not getting spark, the motor won't want to kick over properly. Check the spark plugs, the coil packs or coil-on-plugs may be going bad (I'm not sure which the Escape uses).

I would start with fuel and ignition first, then look at crank sensor and MAF. If you turn the key to the ON position first, let it sit for a few seconds so the fuel pump can build pressure. If it starts fine when you wait for pressure to build, but not if you turn the key and crank right away, I would highly suspect the fuel system.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Are the starting problems so severe that the car does not start at all?
Is there any smell of gas under the hood or in the car during the starting efforts?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well, I replaced the fuel filter (Friday night) and that worked for a short time. It would not start easily in the morning (Saturday morning). That afternoon I started it up by giving it some throttle and ran the *poop* out of it. Noticed a lot of black liquidy stuff coming out of the tailpipe. So, I got a bottle of Lucas Oil Fuel System Cleaner from AutoZone and filled up the tank. It's been running fine since. I'm just wondering if I got some bad gas and it clogged my fuel filter and injectors. Who knows...

·
Registered
132 Posts
ISU01XCapeXLT said:
Well, I replaced the fuel filter (Friday night) and that worked for a short time. It would not start easily in the morning (Saturday morning). That afternoon I started it up by giving it some throttle and ran the *poop* out of it. Noticed a lot of black liquidy stuff coming out of the tailpipe. So, I got a bottle of Lucas Oil Fuel System Cleaner from AutoZone and filled up the tank. It's been running fine since. I'm just wondering if I got some bad gas and it clogged my fuel filter and injectors. Who knows...
Bad gas can do it. I got in the habit of purchasing gas from a station that does a lot of business, that way the gas is never sitting in the tanks for long periods of time. If they're constantly selling gas, they have to have frequent, regular deliveries to stock their tanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
etrailer said:
Bad gas can do it. I got in the habit of purchasing gas from a station that does a lot of business, that way the gas is never sitting in the tanks for long periods of time. If they're constantly selling gas, they have to have frequent, regular deliveries to stock their tanks.
I go one of two places... the busy Kroger or the busy Pilot. Oh well, as long as the car is back to running normally. I was worried that I was going to shell another $500 into it like I did in May. It's beginning to get to the point where it may not be worth the $400 each time to fix it. Considering it's only worth a couple thousand dollars. :spank:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts