Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Wow, another addition to the Maverick..

19K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Wingsfan 
#1 ·
Well, flushed with success from the last time I did some work on the car, I felt it was about time that I tried something that might actually impress the wife for once :angel: ..
(Actually, I saw it for sale at Argos at 1/2 price, and couldn't resist the temptation :doh: )

So, here goes in blow by blow account style..

1/ Visit the cashpoint to withdraw £80.00 :shock:
2/ Visit Argos and purchase the item
3/ Struggle through the rest of the day at work, with a smug look, knowing that wifey will love this. :)P
4/ Return home, unpack the items to be presented with this little lot.. :confused:

5/ Get wifey to make me a cup of coffee, then have a ciggie whilst working out the best way to proceed.
6/ Look at instruction book, :wall: hmm, I know, I'll put the book where it belongs..

7/ Thats better, things are much clearer when you proceed with another coffe and ciggie.
8/ Open the Maverick, and lets now have some fun...
9/ Remove front head restraints
10/ Wrap velcro strip around the "legs" of the head restraint

11/ In the best tradition of the Haynes / Chiltern manuals " follow the instructions in reverse to reassemble"
12/ Coffee and ciggie time, then switch the dvd's on, annnddd ( cue drum roll smillie, HINT JPark!!)
13/ DA DAA

Ok, I know that the install would'nt exactly tax the intellect of even a Harvard Student, but I'm chuffed :yahoo:

The dvd players are two seperate units, powered off either a 12v lead, or a rechargable battery, and can play either 2 different DVD's at the same time, or the same DVD on both screens.

Also, they can be removed in seconds by me, and not by some thieving :censor: because its not a permanent fixture like an in dash DVD

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, Dasha, but to be fair, it looks like a cheap tacky DVD install, which it is, but...
A/ IT WORKS !!!!! :yahoo:

B/ I DIDN'T CUT MYSELF WHILST INSTALLING IT, a first for me !!!! :thumb:

:blush:

#5 ·
That looks VERY good. With small children, this will provide them with a means of entertainment while also helping to preserve the sanity of you and your wife. :lol: Of course, nothing can eliminate the "are we there yet? " question that will occur quite frequently. :lol:

Great job, Camus !! :thumb: :clap:

#7 ·
jpark said:
You're two up on me, then. Looks great!

:clap:
camusdarrach said:
Thanks, Dasha, but to be fair, it looks like a cheap tacky DVD install, which it is, but...

Why do I think you mean the first quote, and not the 2 DVD's, when you made that comment, JPark ??? ;)

#12 ·
camusdarrach said:
jpark said:

camusdarrach said:

Why do I think you mean the first quote, and not the 2 DVD's, when you made that comment, JPark ??? ;)
:lol:

I'd never suggest anyone's mod is cheap and/or tacky.

Not unless I was sufficiently :beer: :wacko:.

#13 ·
jpark said:
camusdarrach said:
jpark said:

camusdarrach said:

I'd never suggest anyone's mod is cheap and/or tacky.
....Except de-badging of course. ;) :lol:

#15 ·
Surfscape said:
That's a nice simple set up. It looks like the DVDs go right into the unit? Is there a cord then that travel between them so they can get the same image?

What brand is too?

Thanks for sharing, I've been looking for something like this.
MadMax said:
Hey, if I don't break something when installing something new, I'm happy. Camus, do the DVD's stay in place with that type of mount? Do they not jiggle around when driving?
Hmm, I was dreading the techie style questions, as I'm a self confessed luddite, but here goes..

The unit was manufactured by the highly respected, top quality company called " Acoustic Solutions" (Who ??), (Who cares, it was cheap and it works ;) )

Even though the mounting is a velcro strap of admittedly dubious quality, a test drive on some roads in my home town, which have potholes that make most off road tracks look as smooth as a billiard table, the players do not shake, nor do the dvd's skip :thumb:

The screen folds down to reveal the slot type thing that the dvd's sit in, and whilst each screen has its own player, to show the same dvd on both screens requires a wire to be plugged into the AV out plug on unit A, and into the AV in plug on unit B.

The main attraction of this item was both the fact it was cheap, and that when used with its rechargeable battery, there was no need for any wires to be installed, and I hate having any wires visible if at all possible.

This is the items description by the shop that Wifey bought it from..
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 555206.htm

#16 ·
latan said:
Another job ticked off your mod list.

Suppose you will you be putting your feet up for a while til the missus gets the Singer out sews up the canopy for your next project

That canopy is EXACTLY what I'm looking for :drool: , but cannot find any for sale over here :cuss:
And wifey is soooooo enthusiastic about getting a pair of scissors out, and dusting down the old Singer, but whilst I can darn a pair of socks, I know my limits :worry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.