Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a set of mirrors? 2001-2006 kit will work.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
:rant: No soup for you...get to the end of the line!!

hehe

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I sold mine last year when I bought my Edge.

But I can see why you're asking for them here. Muth now wants $269 for the heated set.

:shock:

Shipping is free in November, though.

And there are still no Muth mirrors for the Edge or Fusion.

:cuss:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can find them on eBay for $215 + $10 shipping, but the Canadian dollar is down to 0.776 USD right now. :rant:

Actually, even if I do find someone here it will probably be from the States. Noooooooo...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
To be honest, while I liked the Muth mirrors overall, I didn't like the lack of a plastic border around the mirror glass, which the OEM mirrors have. And both of my Muth mirrors were misaligned, so I had to remove the glass from the Muth "carriers" and reposition them with new double-sided 3M tape (which is also what Muth uses).

I was thinking about buying Muth's concave signal mirrors, but I hate giving up that much "regular" mirror space.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never really noticed that border. THANKS, now it'll be the only thing I think about when I use my mirrors. ;-|

I have my mirrors adjusted outwards so much that nothing lines up with the housing anyways.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol:

Actually, the misalignment on both mirrors was so severe that the outer edge of the Muth mirrors rubbed on the mirror housing. The OEM mirrors didn't do that.

And the lower edge of the Muth mirrors was slightly curved, so they didn't line up perfectly with the flat lower edge of the OEM housing.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked and the ones I have now do rub against the top edge of the housing. :(

It's hard to notice though, and the added safety is worth having 1% of the population think you're crazy for having off-center mirror glass. :lol:

By the way, how did you hook up the heated mirror feature? Does it just take 12 V? I'm thinking about running it off my rear defroster instead of using Muth's "H-MOD" module.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
My 2005 had factory heated mirrors, and they were connected directly to the rear defroster circuit. That's also the way they're connected on 2001-2004 'scapes.

On a 2001-2004 Escape, that's a BROWN with BLUE STRIPE wire that you should find inside the harness under the driver-side door scuff plate. The other side of each heater element goes to ground.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does that mean the defroster circuit is already rated to handle the added load of the mirror heaters?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yes, it is.

The wiring diagram shows the same fuse (a 30A fuse, F1.22, inside the Battery Junction Box) for models with or without heated mirrors.

:D

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOOHOO

Thanks, JP. Here's some Blizzards.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yee-HAH!!!

PS...look on the car body side of each front door connector. You may find that wire already on those connectors, and no pins on the corresponding locations of the connectors on the door. If that's the case, let me know, and I can send you two pins for the door connectors.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The mirrors are in now. The factory heated mirror wiring was not there, but I grounded to the door and only needed to run two wires (LED signal and heater) into the cabin. By the way, a McDonalds straw is perfect for running wiring through the rubber boot between the door and the cabin.

When it gets warm again I might add a pilot light to the heater circuit to let me know that the heated function is working.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You could have asked for the pins to plug into the unused holes in the door connectors.

:bang:

You could then use your best terminal un-crimping and re-crimping skills.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would still need to run wiring from the cabin to the door though, wouldn't I? There are unused holes, but no unused wires that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I have the pins to plug into those unused holes. They have about a foot of wire on them, and I have about a dozen.

That's they way I wired my signal mirrors on my '05. I even un-crimped and re-crimped them.

You would have been proud.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:lol:

I ran into my first ever connector that could not be de-pinned. The female end of the Muth signal harness was completely encased in plastic with no way to reach the clips. The male ends could be depinned though, and I used those pins with heavier gauge wire to power the heating pad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts