Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off just want to say hi to everyone here on the board.

My questions relate to my recently acquired XCAL3, (thanks Torrie). I want to know if I can change the transmission shift and lockup strategy, above and beyond what has come pre-programmed (i'm running a 91 perf tune now). Here's exactly what i would like to do:

1.Change the torque converter strategy, have it engage later, but stay engaged later (more pedal percentage)

2.Have the ability to play with the shift points (not only at WOT)

Essentially I want to reduce the persistent "hunting" these xmissions are known for. I thought I saw where you could modify the tune via the computer, more-so than what is possible directly on the sct tuner, Did I imagine all that??

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Have you asked torrie? Thats who could give you a definite answer.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry, Xtreme tuning software. which is on SCT's website. But yes torrie would know for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I went to the sct website and saw the Advantage 3 software and the pro racer software. There's no price listed for the advantage 3 software so I'll assume it's spendy. and the pro racer stuff doesn't mention anything about transmissions...

I've sent Torrie an E-mail, maybe he has a custom tune with modified shift points or can make me one. I wonder if anyone here has a custom tune with a modified trans strategy they would be willing to e-mail me?

I'll let you know how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
torrie can change whatever you want, but theres also a software app that you can do it as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay I have the Xcal 3 and was wondering about the options you can do to tune before putting it in. On the shift option where it has -25 to 25. I'm assuming that the positive means extra pressure or faster shift is this correct? or is it the negative number that makes for faster shift between gears?

·
Registered
93 Posts
just curious would the sct live wire work in a escape i really like how it looks and some of the added functions it has, i know not really the right thread to ask in

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Ask Torrie or he might have you go to a auth tuner or Dyno. That s what Im waiting for

scocope said:
Okay I have the Xcal 3 and was wondering about the options you can do to tune before putting it in. On the shift option where it has -25 to 25. I'm assuming that the positive means extra pressure or faster shift is this correct? or is it the negative number that makes for faster shift between gears?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Belovian said:
Essentially I want to reduce the persistent "hunting" these xmissions are known for. I thought I saw where you could modify the tune via the computer, more-so than what is possible directly on the sct tuner, Did I imagine all that??
I am interested the the X-Cal 3 for the same reason. I don't care about more performance, as the 3.0L has enough balls as it is. It's the unlock-lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock (repeated infinitely) that I cannot stand. All I want is for it to stay locked even when I let off the gas and put it back on. That's all. Shift points? They are fine. Oh, and if I could get it to lockup on hard uphill pulls when towing in 2nd gear, THAT would be spectacular.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Surfscape said:
I've been running the X-cal for years now with no problems and love the improved performance and shifting. It's a must have and should be first on everyones mod list. :yes:
Are you using the base programs included with the X-cal? And did it solve the "hunting" that these stupid torque converters are famous for? If it did, then the $350 is worth it for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I need info on the X3 tuners. I want to buy one but need more info. I have searched on here, but I need more specific info.
-For those of you running economy tunes, has there been much increase in fuel economy?
-Are custom tunes specific to the Escape/Tribute or are they generic tunes for economy, towing and performance that work on many different vehicles?

I will most likely purchase a tuner on Ebay, but I need to know that I will be able to acquire custom tunes that will work well with my Escape.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The economy tune, I had only ran for one day and one day only. It felt like it was running only on the half cylinders. The top end was pretty much gone and the bottom end was affected but not so much as the top end. BUT THAT IS THE POINT OF THE ECONOMY TUNE. I saw like maybe 5 mpg increase, if that but I think if I was conservative with my driving that day while on that tune I would have seen a better improvement. I saw a real improvement on the high performance tunes, But I forgot the numbers. Im sure I stated that somewhere here on EC.

The custom tunes are specific to what you want to achieve (towing, fuel economy, performance, etc..) but "generic" as it doenst fully uncover the full potential of that tune. As one would need to DYNO tune their vehicle to tweek this and that (air/fuel ratio, spark,shift points, etc) to fully branch out and acheive the full effect of the that tune. So custom tunes are way better than the stock tune, but need that "micro" adjusting to fully get the effect.

I hope that makes sense

·
Registered
30 Posts
Makes perfect sense. The reason for my interest in the economy tune is because my wife drives the car 80% of the time. And the thought of fuel economy is largely out of the question in her mind....hard on the gas right up to the red light, then hard on the brakes. I think that if the economy tune "tightens up" the transmission (freezing the slush-box a little bit...or a lot), shortens the shift points to keep the revs low and tunes the timing & A/F ratio accordingly, economy can only increase. The MAIN thing is the transmission. The automatic transmission logic in these cars is absolutely ridiculous. Torque converter: lock unlock lock unlock lock unlock. Is it soft and spongy to save itself from self destruction? Will harder, tighter shifts cause these weak transmissions to quickly grenade?

Truth be told, I ordered my X3 yesterday from Fast Parts Network. It comes with three custom tunes. I will update with results when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
EXCELLENT! You'll see once you get it and put it on ECONOMY that if you wife likes to punch it off the line that she will notice that there is no punch.

mechman600 said:
Makes perfect sense. The reason for my interest in the economy tune is because my wife drives the car 80% of the time. And the thought of fuel economy is largely out of the question in her mind....hard on the gas right up to the red light, then hard on the brakes. I think that if the economy tune "tightens up" the transmission (freezing the slush-box a little bit...or a lot), shortens the shift points to keep the revs low and tunes the timing & A/F ratio accordingly, economy can only increase. The MAIN thing is the transmission. The automatic transmission logic in these cars is absolutely ridiculous. Torque converter: lock unlock lock unlock lock unlock. Is it soft and spongy to save itself from self destruction? Will harder, tighter shifts cause these weak transmissions to quickly grenade?

Truth be told, I ordered my X3 yesterday from Fast Parts Network. It comes with three custom tunes. I will update with results when the time comes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now I am pumped. I have been messaging with another member and he says he saw 17-18% improvement over stock. To me that's very impressive. If I get that, I will be stoked.

Another question. If you flash different tunes into the PCM all the time - like eco for every day, performance for highway trips and towing for towing, will the EEPROM chips eventually wear out from all that flashing, or is it nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Any updates?

To answer your question; you can flash it all day and well, hopefully nothing will happen to it all depends on the quality of semiconditor that is at work. But you really dont want to flash it all day as like you dont just turn off your computer by pulling the cord. We would hope on a vehicle that their semiconductor material is of good quality. Take your USB flashdrive it too is a EEPROM and people flash those all day and give them HUGE wrear and tear. Even the cheap one last forever.

mechman600 said:
Now I am pumped. I have been messaging with another member and he says he saw 17-18% improvement over stock. To me that's very impressive. If I get that, I will be stoked.

Another question. If you flash different tunes into the PCM all the time - like eco for every day, performance for highway trips and towing for towing, will the EEPROM chips eventually wear out from all that flashing, or is it nothing to worry about?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts