Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a budget, I put in that I was looking for a xls w/ cargo package in Steel Metalic Blue. I also put 2ndary colors in as well.

I called today to give them my xplan number and he asked me how I'd feel if they if it was black XLT. It appears I might get it for the same or similar price. It would be cool to get some of the extra's but my order had the cargo package which this wouldn't because it's a base xlt.

My questions are the xlt comes w/ the side rails but not w/ the cross bars on the roof rack. Also, it looks like trying to add the wet trunk later would be a bit expensive.

What are experienced owners thoughts. :)

STB Escape Owner.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
bobump said:
My questions are the xlt comes w/ the side rails but not w/ the cross bars on the roof rack. Also, it looks like trying to add the wet trunk later would be a bit expensive.

What are experienced owners thoughts. :)

STB Escape Owner.
Xlt's have the side rails but no cross memeber, that extras $. Wet trunk issue is something that has been afloat for while now. I'm sure someone here post links to those topics. BUT simply people have been making theres for cheap and little bit of time. If you can score an XLT for the around the price of an XLS then go for it. You will like having that little more in the end.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree with oskerb. Getting the XLT will also get you fogs and a few extra things. The cross bars are an extra purchase and costs $100 at the dealer (I purchased them as well). The wet trunk part I have been waiting for Ford to release them as a separate item. However I think it will be REDICULOUSLY priced once it comes out, like $400 (e-speculation). The cargo shade I think was about $90 at the dealer (I also got that). So aside from the wet trunk, I purchased the "cargo" package with aftermarket stuff. I would still like to get the wet trunk but I refuse to pay anyting over $150 for a plastic tub. I will make my own storage unit with the room in the false floor before that. Couple of hours, couple of hinges, saws-all and bingo.

·
Registered
574 Posts
To give you some perspective, they dropped the XLS model entirely in Canada, and Canadians tend to have more frugal automotive tastes than their American cousins (Best selling car in the country is a Honda Civic - 8 years running). It is now XLT or Limited only and they are still by far the best selling small SUV in the country.

At the other end, we also don't have the Mariner in Canada - or Mercury at all for that matter. Mercury disappeared in the mid 90s.

I don't think the XLS will have a good resale in the end - even if the XLT is a little bit more money, it will pay off down the road. Remember, even at "normal" interest rates of 7 or 8%, $1000 over 5 years is less than $20 per month.

Also, I had a Wet Trunk in my 99 CRV - which I had for nearly 10 years. I don't think I ever used it. My current XLT has the wet trunk and I doubt I'll ever use it either. But I did use the picnic table that also served as a cargo floor in the CRV - that was a neat idea.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well when I ordered my 2010 XLT I asked for the Cargo package as in the 09 it came with the wetlock trunk......apparently in the 10's this is not the case. I have roof rack rails(no cross bars) and NO wetlock trunk.....little peeved about this as the sticker on the car clearly states it has the cargo package. I know I would have used the trunk for storage for emergency supplies, first aid kit and whatnot. This would have been especially usefull as here in Germany I am require to have a full firstaid kit in the car and a traffic warning triangle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Katscan,

Not sure in Europe but in the states, the Cargo package comes with roof rails and crossbars, wet trunk and the privacy shade over the trunk. Shoes it right on the window sticker.

Thanks all for your input so far. They are balking a bit on giving me same price so we shall see. But they are also trying to locate an Escape for me too.

Stinks buying a popular car. They don't want to move much on price. LOL

Bob

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Interesting thread...but I do have one question. What is a wet trunk?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ok got it. Thanks Colleen!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Airmapper said:
I could have a wet trunk if I could figure out where to put my spare tire. :calvin:
You have a full size spare dont you?

Ohh and I think I should call Ford and raise the BS flag on that....Wetlock trunk included in the cargo package? I didnt get one.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Airmapper said:
Katscan said:
You have a full size spare dont you?
No, I got a doughnut. :(
Maybe you could make one that takes up the space inside the spare tire itself. You would have to cut the hold-down bolt in the center of the wheel (cut it so that you can still use the nut to hold just the tire in place) and find a place to put the scissor jack, but you should get a decent amount of space by doing that. This would be especially true if you were to build a new floor and raise it up an inch or so higher than the height of the current floor. I plan on doing that to use the inside of the spare tire as a subwoofer enclosure, so that I can have the spare and some tunes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The J said:
Maybe you could make one that takes up the space inside the spare tire itself. You would have to cut the hold-down bolt in the center of the wheel (cut it so that you can still use the nut to hold just the tire in place) and find a place to put the scissor jack, but you should get a decent amount of space by doing that. This would be especially true if you were to build a new floor and raise it up an inch or so higher than the height of the current floor. I plan on doing that to use the inside of the spare tire as a subwoofer enclosure, so that I can have the spare and some tunes.
What year is your Escape? In my 2010, the Spare tire hangs underneath the truck and has to be lowered using the winch. The only compartment above is for the jack.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dealer is telling me now that they can't get any other dealer to trade off an XLS. They are saying they can find the XLT in the color I'm looking for (steel metallic blue) but it would be 1000 more. From the numbers I found online for the xplan it should actually be 1100. Hopefully it's not that I notice the 100 extra when I sign the papers. I'd be looking at 23,705 before the rebates if it is only 1000 more

Pros:
Color I want.
Message center - (someone correct on me on this over xls)
I like the outside temp display
floor mats tho I was thinking of putting in all weathers anyway
fog lights
leather wrapped wheel and audio controls on the wheel
My Key is cool tho I'm not sure I want to let my daughter drive the new car anyways, lol
Over head storage bins.
Are the seats really that much better ?
privacy glass
keyless entry - lock my keys in car all the time, lol
Possible better resale tho I tend to drive my cars into the ground and not trade.

Don't really car about:
Auto Dim Mirror
Autoheadlights
Sat Radio - not sure I'd pay after the free 6 mo.

Cons:
roof rails but no cross bars
no privacy shield
no wet trunk (can you still store stuff in the well? w/o it having the plastic insert?)
extra $$

·
Registered
324 Posts
bobump said:
Cons:
no wet trunk (can you still store stuff in the well? w/o it having the plastic insert?)
There is no Spare tire well if thats what you are asking, the spare tire is underneath the truck instead of inside the cargo area.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can get a wet trunk by putting a large plastic mixing bowl in your cargo area. Around here we'd call that Keswick Customization, but you may call it a ******* wet-trunk :rockon:

Seriously, unless you are an avid surfer or white water rafter, don't sweat the wet trunk. As I said, I had it for years in my CRV and maybe used it once camping (fill it with ice and beer), and we are outdoors people.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am not so much concerned with the "wet" part of the trunk. I just want that extra storage area that it provides up close to the tailgate for easy access. I thought about getting it and putting my amps in there, but after re-installing my amps under the base false floor, they work perfectly. I may get fancy and dremel cut out a storage area in the same location. I can re-use the cut-out top section and put a couple of hinges and a closing mechanism. Just need to find the right size "bowl" to put there. Ideally I just want to stick my first aid kit there as it is currently wedged inside of the right compartment (where the gas funnel is). I want to use that for storage of other stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts