Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Good afternoon!
I recently purchased a one owner 2009 Escape XLT 4WD and am thinking about some mods for it (picture included at the bottom for your review). I don't wanna go big pimpin'. Heck, I'm a 46 year old bald guy... not a 17 year old. BUT, I do want my ride to be unique and good looking. This is my first SUV since I traded my 2000 Tahoe Limited (now that was a sweet ride).

Anyway, I want my Escape to be an eye catcher, without looking gawdy or thuggish. So, here are my ideas. I'd like YOUR OPINION and suggestions. I understand the "whatever you like will be right for you mentality", but that's not what I'm looking for. Tell me what YOU think based on what my ride looks like right now.

Wheels/Rims:
Whatever you call them, they are the primary link to whatever else I do. I'll post follow-ups with a couple examples I like from TireRack.com

Door handles:
I'm trying to decide if I should go with CHROME or leave the black handles as is.

Door pillars:
Again, I'm trying to decide if I should go with CHROME or leave the black handles as is. Frankly, I'm thinking chrome door pillars will make it look too much like it's trying to be a 1970s Lincoln Continental... know what I mean?

Mirrors:
If I go chrome, I kinda like the look of the 1/2 chrome side mirrors.

Bumper:
I like the chrome lower bumper piece, but have read conflicting information as to whether that can be applied over the vinyl cover... or if the entire bumper cover has to be replaced in order for the chrome piece to fit properly.

Antenna:
It's a small thing, but I'd like to go chrome with it, IF I do the door handles (at least).

Trim:
I kinda think that chrome trim rings around the foglights, etc would be a waste on a "brilliant silver clearcoat" Escape, but I'm looking for opinions... so what's yours?

Nurf bars:
Are they a nuisance (trip hazard) or would steel ones look nice on my particular Escape? I'm not sure, so opinions (especially with your own pictures) would be much appreciated.

Exhaust:
I would also like to add a little rumble (not like glasspacks) to my SUV. Nothing ******* or loud, but a muffler or exhaust that sounds throaty -- not like a ricer. Does that make sense?

Here is my Escape, as it sits right now:

Thank you in advance for your opinions, suggestions and especially pics of your mods.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went with chrome handles and stainless steel nerfs. The nerf bars aren't necessary for me and they do kind of get in the way, but they look good and I do have some shorter and elderly friends and relatives who will make use of them. I looked into chrome pillars and mirrors, but decided that would be too much chrome. I watch a lot of Youtube videos and there's some good examples of how too much chrome can look bad in a hurry :yes:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Look in the mods section.

·
Registered
108 Posts
markhampete said:
I looked into chrome pillars and mirrors, but decided that would be too much chrome. I watch a lot of Youtube videos and there's some good examples of how too much chrome can look bad in a hurry :yes:
I agree that too much chrome can look just plain gaudy. The handles would be a nice touch and maybe even the mirror covers. The pillars in chrome just look bad to me. I have heard more than once from people with the step bars that when it is nasty out they tend to get their pants dirty stepping over the bars as they get in. Its not like the escape has a ton of ground clearance that would require the use of step bars. A nice 20" chrome wheel would look good as well and not to big to look "pimpin".

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Chrome pillars would be a little too much... Too much chrome could be bad.... Definite on the RIMS!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I agree with the others, that different rims will look nice.
Maybe some ' in channel vent visors '.
Down under, we refer to them as wind deflectors.

A dark tint bug deflector for the bonnet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
markhampete said:
I went with chrome handles and stainless steel nerfs. ...
THANKS to everyone for their input and especially to markhampete for the picture of his 'scape. Nice! I'd love to see more pictures.

OK, I'm thinking that I should start saving for 20" rims, add the chrome door handles, skip the pillars and mirrors, leave the bumper and antenna as they are, drop the nerf bar idea, and MAYBE add a better sounding muffler... with medium chromed tip. How's that sound?

BTW, I'm definitely getting darker tint on the back doors and cargo windows. Also, looking for an inexpensive, non-invasive, solution to the nosedive stance. After that, she should be a right proper looking vehicle... with some pizzazz. Haha!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are three ideas on the 20" rims...

What do you think? The color on tirerack.com is a little dark for the real Brilliant Silver Clearcoat on the '09 Escape. Otherwise, these photos are a fairly true representation of how they'd look on my lil SUV.

{Photos courtesy of tirerack.com}​

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
CharlieJ said:
Here are three ideas on the 20" rims...

What do you think? The color on tirerack.com is a little dark for the real Brilliant Silver Clearcoat on the '09 Escape. Otherwise, these photos are a fairly true representation of how they'd look on my lil SUV.

{Photos courtesy of tirerack.com}​
They give a nice effect.
All three look presentable.
My favourite is the 52b65e0745.jpg.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I like the silver/chrome look for accessories on your colored vehicle. Below are my opinions....

Wheels/Rims:
I am a BIG wheel guy. Considering a new set for the summer for mine. With your colored vehicle chrome wheels will look awesome. I like the third set in your line-up pics. But I personally like 5-spoke wheels. Check out JEFFOS69's wheels. These are HOT:

Door handles:
I think they will look good as well.

Door pillars:
Not a fan of pillar covers, regardless of color. Too much chrome IMO.

Mirrors:
50/50 on the mirrors. WIth your color I think yes.

Bumper:
Unless going off road or living in an area that requires it, IMO it is not needed. Added weight.

Antenna:
If going chrome, then a chrome one will work.

Trim:
Trim around the fogs? Nah.

Nurf bars:
On the Escape I don't think they are needed for other than cosmetics. It is low enough that they are not needed yet adding them creates winter pant scuff issues.
However I do like the ones that come on the LTD. The ones that are the plastic but just a small lip to them.

Exhaust:
I am not an exhaust guy. Why replace it just for sound? At least on the 2.5L. Adding dual exhaust on the V6 is a better justification.

For me tunes was my need. So most of my goodies went into audio stuff. However things like mudflaps, fog lights, rear cargo cover, winter mats, etc - can personalize the vehicle a lot for short $$.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sinister mob, THANKS for all your input. I tend to agree... with all your suggestions. I've looked at several examples... and like you, am about 50/50 on the mirror covers now, too. I like audio, but listen mostly to talk radio or Sirius while on the road, so my money would be better spent in exterior mods (I think). And boy, do I agree with you on rims... they make or break the look of almost any vehicle. 20" is as large as I wanna go, tho. This ain't no donk. Haha!

Here is my PICTURES thread, if you wanna see how the entire Escape looks -- with the few mods I have done:
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5504

Have a great weekend... and keep the input coming guys... and gals!
CharlieJ

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
6foot9inchmonster said:
With a light colored scape, I would highly suggest searching for Mariner rocker panels.
I think it just looks a lot more clean.

Those are sweet! The rocker panels are one of two things I do NOT like about the 2009 Escape XLT (the other is the nose dive stance). The Mariner rocker panels look awesome!

Any ideas on pricing if I ordered them new? I can look 'em up, but wondered if you knew the price.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow, thanks for leaving me with another 'want' for my Escape! I don't care for the black, bumpy bottome panel either, but didn't want dirty pant making nerf bars either (almost decided to get them until the reviews were bad, and not a nesaccariy item since the Escape is short).

But for the OP, I swaped my antenna out with a friends black sport track, so now his is all black, min is chrome(ish). I also like the side moldings I got off ebay, breaks up the boreing side's. Adding some badges to the 09? Since there are none right?

I was able to get the chrome package, so I have body color door handles, mirrors, chrome grill & trim on the lift gate. That was the wife's only demand for this car, and the body color of course. Looks way better than the bumpy black plastic. Not sure how chrome would look.

The link in my sig should take you to my picture page http://hybrid08ok.x10hosting.com/

Happy hunting, and keep the pics comming!
:pics:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did the door handles. I am really interested in the foglight trim bezel who sells them where can I find them.I tried the letters in the front bumper they didn't work nor did trying to paint them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Colleen said:
08HybridOK , I think your wife would like the body color rocker panels. :yes:
Show her mine since our vehicles are the same color....

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4103

Thanks colleen, just what I need, spend more money! :D
But think of me if you ever get steps installed! I'll take your panels off your hands!

But they would look good, never noticed the Mariners bottoms were different! :blush:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
08HybridOK said:
Thanks colleen, just what I need, spend more money! :D
No problem :lol:

08HybridOK said:
But think of me if you ever get steps installed! I'll take your panels off your hands!
Ok, but I doubt that is gonna happen. Vehicle is not high enough to require step bars, imo. And I wouldn't want the dirt from the step bars rubbing onto my pants. :D We have step bars on our Dodge truck because it is up real high but not considering them for the Mariner or Escape. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts