Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone~
My warranty on my Mariner is fixing to run out reeeeal soon. I've been thinking about whether I should get the ESP from Ford. Talking w/different people IRL, I've gotten yays and nays about it.
What are your thoughts? I'd appreciate all comments!!
TIA!! :beer:

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a tough one IMO, if you get it and dont use it, you'll have wasted money...If you get it and do repairs beyond what you initially paid, it will obviously be worth it. For me, I purchased it on my last car, paid around $1500 and used about $550 worth for repairs...So it wasnt worth it in the end I guess. I guess this post doesnt REALLY help you does it? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've always heard that they weren't worth it and have never purchased one. Why not check Consumer Reports and see what they say?

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is a tough call.

I work at a car dealer & we sell extendied warranty's all the time but it is a money maker for the dealer.

I have never bought one myself (although I have certainly considered it & I could buy the warranty at dealer cost). All the new electronically controlled stuff in some of these new cars can be scary expensive to repair, tranny's ain't cheap either.

~John

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Well it depends. If it's a manufactures warranty and you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time it might be worth it. If it's an outside company with limited coverage, probably not.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
How many miles do you have on it now, Dasha? Have you had any problems with it, even minor ones?

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jpark said:
How many miles do you have on it now, Dasha? Have you had any problems with it, even minor ones?
35,964 :worry:

The problems I've had so far...hmm....not many...

*battery died
*left rear passenger door lock stopped working

Both were replaced/fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If a guy that works at a dealership has never bought one, that's all I need to know...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dasha said:
Hey everyone~
My warranty on my Mariner is fixing to run out reeeeal soon. I've been thinking about whether I should get the ESP from Ford. Talking w/different people IRL, I've gotten yays and nays about it.

It is kind of like betting against the house. The insurers know the odds are in their favor. The probablity is that you will not use the ESP to the extent you it will cost you if at all. Yet there are enough scary stories about really expensive repairs to keep the anxiety high enough so people opt for the ESP. If your risk tolerance is such that you just feel better about the protection then go for it, but be sure you understand what is covered and what is not. Most of the money you will spend in the next few years will be on general wear and tear stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I used about $7000 of the insurance companies money on my $2000 warranty for an Audi S4. I bought it used and want to cover any abuse from past owners. Boy did I make the right choice there. But you know your Mariner and thus unless it has signs of problems I'd go without personally.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments, Escape-Citians!! I'm leaning to not purchasing an extended warranty.

(If any major troubles occur, I hope it's within the next 36 miles!!) :worry:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'd agree with everyone here so far, but I look at it from a different perspective, since I feel I can fix just about anything. And, in saying that, is hubby the fix-it type?

Also, keep in mind that some things are still covered by the federal emissions warranty, which should be explained in the owner's manual.

I'd say that if your Mariner hasn't shown any signs of weird drivetrain behavior, even once, then I'd pass on the extended warranty and just keep up on the routine maintenance (regular oil changes, coolant changes every two years, and regular belt/hose/fluid level checks). And since yours is a FWD-only model, it's even less likely to need drivetrain repair.

If things go well, you shouldn't need to replace anything other than normal wear items like tires and wiper blades.

Just my .02. And if it needs a new transmission two days after the warranty expires, I didn't write this. :bag;

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i dont have time to read all of this, so i will just post my opinion LoL. i purchased a Ford extended warranty right from the dealer. and it was useless. i brought my van in to get some seals fixed and they charged me for diagnostics (i tolled them what seals to replace). and then they went so far as to test my rear defrost, and charge me for that, after i only asked IF it was covered. then i took it in cause it was running like crap, it needed intake gasket and isolator bolts. which would have been done for free if i had less then 100,000km. (there was a recall) i had 109,000km. i had to pay for the gasket kit and i installed it myself.

long story short. the only part that i ever got fixed under warranty was a transmission seal that would have cost me 6 bucks (and my time to fix it). but because of their "diagnostics" it cost me over 100 bucks. and 2 days without my van. at least i bitched at them enough that the warranty did state that i would get an equivalent vehicle for replacement while it was being fixed (they gave me a focus) so they had to rent me a vehicle, i picked an f150 CC 4x4 haha.

screw extended warranty. unless its FREE

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My other car, A Renault Laguna 2.0 IDE estate was purchased with an extended warranty, but it wouldn't cover a lot of the faults that have cropped up on it, E.G. new gearbox, E.C.U. etc.
I would NEVER purchase a warranty again, not worth the extra expense.
The Laguna is still sat on my driveway after 16 months, I wouldn't mind, but it is only 5 years old, I will never purchase a French car again.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for helping me make my decision, everyone!! :cheers:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dasha said:
Hey everyone~
TIA!! :beer:
I bought a used 2005 Escape and read some reviews about them and from what I read they are very reliable. So what I did was I didn't get the warranty, the waranty cost $2,246 and from what I read lots of stuff that will need repair are minor and won't cost a arm and a leg.

What I did was take that $2,246 and put it in a CD so the money can grow and if anything ever happens that would so drastic that it would cost over $1,000 than I will take it out and use it.

My logical thinking was if the car was running fine after the 3 years 36,000 warranty runs out than I will be wasting $2,246. So if something does happen within the 3 years than all I have to do is take that money out of my saving and CD than it is just like you are using money you would have put into the warranty.... Don't know what the hell I just typed but I hope you understood. Plus my conclusion was also the engine was very clean and it drove very well, plus that $2,246 I put into a special saving will grow way past the 3 year warranty if I ever need it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's a great idea, Born Free. I agree with everyone on here about the extended warranty, especially since you bought your Mariner new, and you know everything about your Mariner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stryford said:
That's a great idea, Born Free. I agree with everyone on here about the extended warranty, especially since you bought your Mariner new, and you know everything about your Mariner.
From all the reviews that I have read from online posting for the 2005 Ford Escape the majority of it was very positive so that was one of the reason I didn't want it even though the dealership lied to me at first that the bank will deny me if I didn't take it, but I walked away and thats when he told me that it is optional. I am not saying this is the best situation for every Escape but the Escape I purchased is in very good condition and hopefully all the reviews that I have read are true.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2005 ... ik16231730

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did buy a extended warranty from the ford dealer that I purchased the Escape from ....they never asked me if I wanted it. After making a deal about price...I got them to toss in a Extended Warranty for 3 years 60,000 kms full up no fees or service charges for a extra 800 .....

I thought that as I bought the Escape used I best protect my investment against misuse from previous owner...so far no need to worry but I am glad I got the piece of mind that it brings.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts