Protecting backs of BACK seats from cargo

Seats, instrument panel, headliner, console, panels, detailing, more

Protecting backs of BACK seats from cargo

Postby Illyria69 - August 28th, 2020, 12:47 pm

When I have folded the back seat flat, the CARGO area is well protected with an all weather cargo mat, BUT the backs of the back seats are not (which has carpet like material and the color is light (camel) and I want to keep that area clean and undamaged from any cargo.

Does anyone have any nifty ideas about how to protect the backs of the back seat? Is there any type of vinly / rubber "sheets" that one can cut to shape and affix to that area? Just brainstorming here.

I love driving it with the back seat folded as the view/visibility rear view mirror is greatly improved without the back seat AND the HUGE head rests which pretty much ruin the view through the rear view mirror.
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 1

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Protecting backs of BACK seats from cargo

Postby raysfan - August 28th, 2020, 9:28 pm

My rear seats are in the horizontal position almost always because that is where my 2 large dogs ride. I got a huge spongy mat that is suppose to go under a treadmill to protect the user's wood or tile or whatever floor. I then trimmed it to the exact shape of the entire cargo area. One piece-entire thing. Works great for protection and the dogs can get grip + have a soft place to lay down. Since it is designed to be no-slip on floor, it never moves around back there. Well, that how I did it. PS: I also took out my my rear seat bottoms and they are stored in the guest room closet along with the seat back headrests which I also removed.
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Illyria69 - August 29th, 2020, 10:17 am

Thanks!!! that's a great idea - i DO have one of those under our elliptical machine!
I might actually attach it to the backs with industrial strength velcro in a few places so it's KINDA permanent, but can be taken off if needed. We rarely need the back seat up/normal position, but when we do, I don't want it to become a hassle, so a semi-permanent attaching will hopefully work.
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby EscapeFromLA - October 21st, 2020, 11:01 pm

I'll try to remember to snap a decent picture of this but I got a relatively inexpensive waterproof pet liner (its some kind of vinyl-backed nylon fabric) that goes up all 3 sides of the cargo area. Where the back seats meet the sides, it's closed by velcro, allowing you to fold the seats down if you leave it in one piece, or just cut a line to match the split between the 60/40 seat parts so they can fold separately. I committed to it and got a set of screw-in snaps to fasten the top edge to the plastic paneling...pretty easy to do by just punching the button snaps into the liner, marking where they end up on the paneling, then screwing in the thread-in side into the plastic. They hold VERY securely, but allow you take the whole thing out to hose it down if you need to. You can do the same for the seat backs, or use velcro (the hook side) which holds that fuzzy material quite well. Mine also has a flap that's meant to cover the bumper while the hatch is open, which I mostly fold under the stock cargo mat to keep everything neat.

Later on I ended up getting one of those elastic cargo nets to go over that which further helps keep everything in place back there, but either way it does a good job containing even dirty cargo since it covers the floor AND sides....i've even had firewood back there without too much mess after I dumped the liner out.

*Note that if you have a 10-12 hybrid, you need to also cut a hole for the battery vent on the left side.

This is pretty close to what I got (which, of course, isn't available anymore...but mostly the same except without padding):

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06WLMZDLF/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_9tpKFbJTCEJ8C?_x_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The other thing i do is just keep a small moving blanket or back there at pretty much all times (usually just folded in half under that elastic net - you don't even notice it). if I have enough stuff, I'll throw that over the folded-up bottoms of the back seats which both protects them and keeps any small bits or dirt from getting between the seat halves
EscapeFromLA

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby raysfan - October 23rd, 2020, 10:31 pm

When possible I avoid putting anything in the cargo area after the "mishap". Check out the first 45 seconds of my vid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKbFhYFYnFE
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

Return to Interior Mods