Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

'10 Hybrid Limited- Can I keep my factory backup cam?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Lianh 
#1 ·
New Escape Owner here..... have had my "10 Escape Hybrid Limited for 2 weeks and I am loving it.

As much as I like the OEM Nav radio, I hate how modern iPhones cannot voice dictate thru the BT.... etc.

So I am plotting an aftermarket swap and wanted to know if anyone has found a way to integrate the OEM backup camera with an aftermarket deck. (currently the video feed shows thru the Radio, NOT the rearview)

Or..... has anyone successfully rewired the BU cam from the Nav deck to a video Rearview mirror?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I guess I don't understand what doesn't work through bluetooth, I don't use my iPhone with my SYNC (1) car, I use my android phone in a cradle and I can do whatever I want. I only use my iPhone in my SYNC 3 equipped Escape, and it does voice to text and SIRI just fine.

Yes, the OEM backup camera sends a signal that I am sure any head unit with an input for it can use. I have tested the one from my Fusion (which will use the rear view mirror monitor) on a couple of cheap Android head units, a stand alone 7 inch monitor, and just now , my 60 inch TV:

Just need to see if the wiring adapter you use has them, or find the wires from the camera, and adapt them to the head units rear view camera input. Also will need to get a reverse sense to the head unit as well. I don't know if that is in the same harness to the OEM nav unit or not. I gathered all the parts to add OEM camera and rearview mirror monitor to my 2012 Fusion, no navigation, so I didn't do much checking on that, and don't have the wiring diagram for 2010 Escape.

#4 ·
I guess I don't understand what doesn't work through bluetooth,
SYNC treats Siri interaction as phone calls... It's unbearably slow, sounds terrible, and the mic suck so much it rarely works.

I have an alternative for you (particularly if you're up for some DIY)....grab an Echo Auto. I'm overdue in writing this up but the unit itself is tiny and the only contains one PCB, which I was able to tuck underneath the matte cover above the center vents. It can be wired into the aux port so you don't have to rely on bluetooth reconnect (trust me on that one) and basically controls your phone or whatever device you have it linked to (I have an android tablet on the dash). It's got an 8 mic array designed specifically to overcome road noise which does seem to work a bit better than barking at my phone, and is surprisingly fast. It can be used as a streaming target as well. You get:

Infinitely better and quicker voice interaction including launching nav, travel time and ETA estimations, weather, radio streaming, etc
no disconnection (using aux)
retained steering wheel controls
Retained backup cam
retained hybrid display

You'd want to have a good place to mount your phone or dedicated device and it's certainly better for the amazon inclined, but considering I really just bought it for the bundled music subscription I'm pleasantly surprised by how useful it is. I think the main drawback is cabling, but spend an hour routing them internally and you've got your own jarvis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.