Plasti Dip Grill

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

Plasti Dip Grill

Postby InnocentEd - November 25th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Hey Guys,

First posting :) Just got a 2012 XLT and wasn't a fan of the plastic chrome accents on the car, makes it look a little cheap IMO when the car has the lines to look really tough. I have never done mods, but read a lot about Plasti Dip and watched tons of youtube videos. Decided to give it a shot on my grill as a first test, since it seemed simple enough.

: First note, it was not as easy as I thought it was going to be getting that grill off the 2012 :P There are little plastic bolts holding that bad boy on once you get past the not exactly sized 10mm and 7mm main bolts. Anyways, after taking me a second got it off and went to town.
: I think I sprayed a little too far away trying to get an even coat and ended up with a bit of texture in the Plasti Dip. Good news is that I actually enjoy the textured look.

More to come soon :)

* For whatever reason the image wouldn't stick in my OP so I replied with it :)
Last edited by InnocentEd on November 25th, 2012, 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InnocentEd

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT V6 4x4
My vehicle's name: Famous

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Plasti Dip Grill

Postby InnocentEd - November 25th, 2012, 11:47 pm

White 2012 XLT V6 AWD
- All Weather Mats /-Light Knob Change
- Black PlastiDip Front Grip /- Black Billet Grill Added /- Black PlastiDip Rims
InnocentEd

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby tang - November 25th, 2012, 11:57 pm

InnocentEd wrote:* For whatever reason the image wouldn't stick in my OP so I replied with it :)

We had to modify the first post settings for all users to prevent spammers from throwing hundreds upon hundreds of images as their one and only post. But, welcome to the site! Look forward to your future contributions :D

PM with wheel questions.
past, but still with the family: 09 Escape XLT V6 AWD
present: 15 Taurus SEL AWD
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Postby Xcape2Xplore - November 26th, 2012, 12:05 am

Looks awesome, I'm actually going to do mine this week finally. I have the plastidip in my garage. Just looking to find the time.

2008 FORD ESCAPE XLT
BLACK BULL BAR
BLACK TAILLIGHT GUARDS
Xcape2Xplore

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: XCAPE

Postby MBabs - November 26th, 2012, 3:13 am

i did mine a few months ago. it's holding up well. I did remove it a second time to do a touch up right after the initial job.

the black plastic backing of the grill is a BEAR to get off. :rant: I had to use a flathead screwdriver just to pry the plastic tabs away enough to get it to pop out and in the process broke 3 or 4 off. A few more times removing the grill and the black backing wont be staying attached :lol:

i also broke off one of the prongs that hold the OEM ford logo in place. Had to order another logo off ebay which turned out to be stick on more or less.

and when i reattached, i did not even bother with the smaller screws on the inside or the 7mm screws. The only thing holding the grill in place is the larger 10mm bolts.... oh and one of those broke in half during the initial removal :censor: and i had to replace it as well
MBabs

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: Garnett

Postby Xcape2Xplore - November 26th, 2012, 9:34 am

Sounds like it might be easier to leave it on and tape it up.

2008 FORD ESCAPE XLT
BLACK BULL BAR
BLACK TAILLIGHT GUARDS
Xcape2Xplore

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby InnocentEd - November 26th, 2012, 12:37 pm

@MBabs : Sounds rough.

I definitely wanted to get away from this without losing/breaking anything so I took my time. In terms of the plastic black thing on the back I simply left that on and Plasti Dipped that too. Seeing has it was already black plastic I felt no need to protect it. The plastic bolts holding on the grill and the ford emblem were tricky but slowly removing them with what I think was a 10mm did the job...getting the emblem off did take some care, I could see how you could easily break those pegs.

I certainly don't want to have to do that often, I feel your pain...they did not make it easy to remove that piece.

Next, I am trying to figure out how I can get the embossed "ESCAPE" on that front bumper also black. Tapping it off won't really work so I may have to get the dip in a can and free hand paint that one.
White 2012 XLT V6 AWD
- All Weather Mats /-Light Knob Change
- Black PlastiDip Front Grip /- Black Billet Grill Added /- Black PlastiDip Rims
InnocentEd

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby Xcape2Xplore - November 26th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Next, I am trying to figure out how I can get the embossed "ESCAPE" on that front bumper also black. Tapping it off won't really work so I may have to get the dip in a can and free hand paint that one.

They sale a sticker on ebay that you just place in the letters. I did that and it looks great. It's lasted over a year.

2008 FORD ESCAPE XLT
BLACK BULL BAR
BLACK TAILLIGHT GUARDS
Xcape2Xplore

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby jbone2470 - November 26th, 2012, 8:01 pm

It looks great.Much better IMO. I not chrome guy and the black goes much better than the chrome..MAybe u could just spray a few coats over the whole escape logo and then go back with a fine razor and cut out all the extra dip around the letters.

Of course not to put too uch pressure on razor so it doesn't scratch paint. I think someone on here painted theres and came out great.

Whichever method u come up with please share.i sure alot will want to do this once u get it done..

"Everyone Deserves A Second Chance"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hella 500 FogLights,Aries Brushguard,Firestone Destination A/T's,Pioneer avh-p3300BT,UltraGuage EM,GArmin GPS,OEM Molded MudFlaps,AVS VentVisors,And many More to come....
jbone2470

E-C LEVEL 14
My nickname: JBONE
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape Limited4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: JBONE

Postby Scohin - November 28th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Nice job I'm going to dip my Mariner Grill this weekend probably...
Electra! Dr.Pepper Red 06' Mercury Mariner Luxury V6 4WD
Tan Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof
Mods to Do List:
Touchscreen Stereo
Bull Bar
LEDs
Tint; 5% Back, 5% Top, 45% Front 5% AS1-Line
Scohin

E-C LEVEL 1

Next

Return to Exterior Mods