Plasti Dip Grill

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

Re: Plasti Dip Grill

Postby InnocentEd - January 2nd, 2013, 7:58 pm

So after much debate and thinking I went with the simplest of designs and just left the nuts bare. The reason was mainly me being lazy and not wanting to tape things off 6 times :) The other reasons were because I am using dip a fully clean surface I feel would last longer, any break in the paint could let in moisture or something...lastly I like the look.

Here are some horrible pictures of the process, and the worst is the final product since it was late :P I will have better ones shortly.
ImageImage
Image Image

Definitely diggin the look :)
PS * A note to anyone else trying this; painting with a spray can works much better keeping the can vertical ;) But I guess that's probably common knowledge, haha
White 2012 XLT V6 AWD
- All Weather Mats /-Light Knob Change
- Black PlastiDip Front Grip /- Black Billet Grill Added /- Black PlastiDip Rims
InnocentEd

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT V6 4x4
My vehicle's name: Famous

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby jbone2470 - January 3rd, 2013, 8:06 pm

I like it.. :thumb:

"Everyone Deserves A Second Chance"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hella 500 FogLights,Aries Brushguard,Firestone Destination A/T's,Pioneer avh-p3300BT,UltraGuage EM,GArmin GPS,OEM Molded MudFlaps,AVS VentVisors,And many More to come....
jbone2470

E-C LEVEL 14
My nickname: JBONE
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape Limited4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: JBONE

Postby JaketheMan - February 8th, 2013, 12:13 am

That combo between the wheels and the grille look absolutely stunning :shades: Is it all plasti dip? I might go to my body shop and get my grille (and vertical lines) and wheels colored matte black that isn't plasti dip because I had a bad run in with that stuff.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/JaketheMans/Brooklyn%20before%20Grille/JakeIphone117_zps3d3e6d78.jpg

I actually have the grille inserts installed too
Brooklyn

Mods: Pirate Bobblehead, WeatherTech Floormats, Custom Exterior and Interior Paint, Black Grille Inserts, 18" Verde Skylon Wheels, 20% Front Window Tint, Anzo Headlights.
JaketheMan

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My nickname: Batman
My vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: Brooklyn

Postby Escape94 - February 17th, 2013, 1:01 pm

InnocentEd wrote:Hey guys,

Back with an update :) I got the grill set that many others have on this site and decide to install them on my escape.
I like the look of the front of the Escape, it's more aggressive than most people think and I thought these would help.

: Here is a look at the top pieces in just a test fitting. As you can see I have already removed the grill from the car. Some others say you might be able to install these things without taking the grill off but I suggest otherwise. You can see my grill is a matte black and the grills are shiny.

: Here is a picture of the screw these things come with (on the left) and the ones I bought from a local hardware store. The screws with the upper units are simply too small for comfort. There is plenty of space behind the grill and no reason these things need to be so short....I got 1.25" screws and they don't even come close to the radiator. The only thing is that the heads are a bit bigger so you have to wiggle them in there.

: Here are a couple of shots of the pieces that hold these things in place as they are installed. They are pretty basic but do the job just fine...it's a little metal tab with odd clip type screw holds.
Image Image

: The inside grill behind the outer shell as a black tab that covers the opening needed for the top screws. You can either remove the back grill or in my case I just took a small drill and drilled a hole where the screw gits through just fine.

: After installation I decided I didn't like the glossy black vs. the matte black of the paint I had on my grill. So I decided after installation to put another 3 coats of Plasti-Dip over everything including the bottom grill. Here is how that turned out.
Image Image

: I decided to obviously install the bottom unit before the top for access reasons. Even with the top grill off you have to reach your hand behind the bumper and sort of hold the brackets and holds in place as you screw them in. If you aren't patient you can easily drop everything or lose piece. Just take i slow (hopefully you can fit your hands in there) and eventually it will work :) The brackets for the bottom of lips on them (sorry no picture) so they hook onto the bumper sort of.

Bottom space...needs cleaning :)
The extreme lack of space to fit your hand to install
Bottom Installed

: The Finished Product...I am pretty happy :)

- Before And Before

- After
You can see I DID NOT black out the bars on the bottom grill and left them white...I actually like the white look behind the grill personally.

> Next updates should be the lettering :)

Just out of curiosity is that the stock grill just dipped? Or is that an aftermarket one?

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
R.I.P 6/15/2017 :(
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2017 Subaru Forester XT

Postby InnocentEd - February 20th, 2013, 1:17 am

The billet inserts are not stock, the rest of it is though.
White 2012 XLT V6 AWD
- Black PlastiDip Front Grip /- Black Billet Grill Added /- Black PlastiDip Rims
InnocentEd

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby Escape94 - February 25th, 2013, 9:57 pm

what did you use to cover up the ford logo? painters tape? or did you spray over it then remove the plasti dip?

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
R.I.P 6/15/2017 :(
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2017 Subaru Forester XT

Postby InnocentEd - February 25th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I took the emblem off when painting :) You could just use tape or even just paint over it and pull the plasti-dip off the badge afterwards.
White 2012 XLT V6 AWD
InnocentEd

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby TheFuzz - March 25th, 2013, 1:51 am

Hey guys, pretty new on here but a couple months ago I picked myself up a 2010 Escape XLT V6. It being black I knew immediately I wanted to black it out. I plastidipped the grill today and plan on doing the tires soon. I did about 4 coats. I didn't want to remove the grill and get all technical with it so I just taped it off and I think it turned out pretty well. Let me know what you think.

escape2 by clay93033, on Flickr

escape1 by clay93033, on Flickr
TheFuzz

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: Clay
My vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape XLT 2WD

Postby Jeff88 - March 25th, 2013, 2:46 am

Lookin' good! Are you going to put 'ol blue back on or leave it with just the black? Or maybe change the blue to black, so the 'FORD' stands out nicely.
Jeff88

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Jeff

Postby jbone2470 - March 26th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Much better... :thumb:

"Everyone Deserves A Second Chance"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hella 500 FogLights,Aries Brushguard,Firestone Destination A/T's,Pioneer avh-p3300BT,UltraGuage EM,GArmin GPS,OEM Molded MudFlaps,AVS VentVisors,And many More to come....
jbone2470

E-C LEVEL 14
My nickname: JBONE
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape Limited4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: JBONE

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods