Certifit & SEM pic

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

Certifit & SEM pic

Postby martin-csr - June 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am

2002 Escape XLS. The Light grey exterior plastic was faded & scratched pretty bad.

Certifit Dark Gray front bumper cover & aftermarket headlights.
SEM Bumper Coater 39173 Dark Smoke >>> side door/rocker panels & rear bumper cover.
Dark Smoke is a pretty good match to the aftermarket bumper cover.
39183 Medium Gray might be a better match, but I didn't try that shade as the auto paint store didn't have it.
As a test, I tried 39583 Light Charcoal on the plastic panel behind the RH Fr wheel, but it wasn't quite dark enough.

The bumper coater has held up well over the last six months. I use a bubble brush carwash almost every week and sit on & put my foot on the rear bumper cover often: there are no scratches or chips in the coating. Prep was to thoroughly wash the car at the car wash and scrub the plastic with a scotch brite pad. Let the plastic dry, then thoroughly wipe it down with a clean cloth saturated with acetone. Mask. Wipe the section to be sprayed with a tack cloth to remove any dust. Then spray several coats of bumper coater. Since I had a can of Light Charcoal that I didn't want to go to waste, I used that as a base coat for the rear bumper cover, then top coated with Dark Gray.

note: the sun is to the right, so the Fr bumper cover plastic looks lighter than the painted plastic, but it's actually the same color or maybe slightly darker.
Last edited by martin-csr on July 6th, 2018, 8:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
martin-csr

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2002 Escape XLS 2.0L 5MT

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Certifit & SEM pic

Postby martin-csr - June 2nd, 2018, 11:58 am

Test of the Light Charcoal. note faded, unpainted plastic panels.

I tried contacting SEM about what colors are supposed to match the Ford plastic, but they said it wasn't supposed to match the plastic unpainted bumper covers, so I tried again some time later hoping to get a different customer service rep, but got the same basic response. I was rather confused by the replies, especially after using the product since it matches. ???

Last edited by martin-csr on June 18th, 2018, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin-csr

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby MadMax - June 2nd, 2018, 2:52 pm

That's quite a process, but it looks great. Good job :thumb:
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0T AWD, Sport Appearance Package, Panoramic Sunroof
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 20

Postby martin-csr - June 14th, 2018, 5:24 pm

I had already replaced the front bumper cover, grille & headlights. Some time later, the painting was done over a long weekend. I did the RH plastic in one session, the LH plastic in another session, then the rear bumper cover. For some of the masking, instead of masking tape & wherever it was possible, I used milk jug plastic fitted between the plastic and door/fender panels. worked great. Masking was the most time consuming part of the job. Looks 100% better as the old old old plastic was faded pretty bad, and I prefer the Dark Gray to the original light gray plastic.
martin-csr

E-C LEVEL 3

Return to Exterior Mods