Replacing Tailgate

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

Replacing Tailgate

Postby matthew4132 - March 5th, 2020, 11:28 am

Hello all-

I own a 2010 escape limited with navigation and have a lift-gate (like many others) that has rusted completely out inside and out. Instead of getting it fixed for very high prices at a body shop, I am going the route of buying a good, used one at a salvage yard. My question is can I buy a used lift-gate that doesn't have the rear-view camera option and put it on my vehicle (which has that option), and be ok with the wiring harness? Finding a used gate with the camera proves to be much more difficult than finding one without. By doing a little research I see that the ford wiring diagrams do not do a good job showing weather or not the harnesses and connectors are standard across sub-models. I am wondering if anyone has tried this, or if they could provide any insight when it comes to the compatibility. Thanks!!
matthew4132

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Replacing Tailgate

Postby Squirrel - March 6th, 2020, 1:40 am

I doubt the wiring harness will be the same, however you always have the option of attempting to swap the harness. :shades:
'12 Escape XLT | V-6 | AWD | 10.1" Android 9.1 Car Stereo GPS Navi | G1W-CB "Black Bezel" Capacitor Model Dash Camera | KUERL underseat 10" 600w subwoofer

'06 Escape Hybrid | 4cyl | 4X4 |Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | Bluetooth FM Transmitter Hands-Free With Dual USB
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2012 XLT AWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Mr. Gray; Ghost

Postby matthew4132 - March 7th, 2020, 10:34 pm

I doubt the wiring harness will be the same, however you always have the option of attempting to swap the harness.

Do you doubt this because you have tried it yourself, or have a schematic showing the wiring? I ask because there are a few on this site that have suggested that the wiring across all sub-models may be the same for the gate, but they do admit they are not positive. Knowing for certain would aid in the process of being sure I am looking for the correct gate (i.e. with or without camera), or if it is a moot point. I realize I may be able to swap the harness, but then again, that's if the wiring coming out of the vehicle is standard across all sub-models.
matthew4132

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby matthew4132 - March 14th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Just an update. I ended up buying a use tailgate from a 2012 limited without backup cam. The wiring that plugged into the driver side supply was the same, but the wiring from the passenger side was not. I ended up removing the rear spoiler/trim from my old gate which had a factory camera on it, and putting it on the replacement gate. I then used the wiring from my old gate to power everything. Everything seems to be working fine. Still need to do some shimming on the hinges to get a perfect fit, but at least the rust on the tailgate is gone.
matthew4132

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Squirrel - March 20th, 2020, 12:11 am

matthew4132 wrote:Just an update. I ended up buying a use tailgate from a 2012 limited without backup cam. The wiring that plugged into the driver side supply was the same, but the wiring from the passenger side was not. I ended up removing the rear spoiler/trim from my old gate which had a factory camera on it, and putting it on the replacement gate. I then used the wiring from my old gate to power everything. Everything seems to be working fine. Still need to do some shimming on the hinges to get a perfect fit, but at least the rust on the tailgate is gone.

:pics:
'12 Escape XLT | V-6 | AWD | 10.1" Android 9.1 Car Stereo GPS Navi | G1W-CB "Black Bezel" Capacitor Model Dash Camera | KUERL underseat 10" 600w subwoofer

'06 Escape Hybrid | 4cyl | 4X4 |Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | Bluetooth FM Transmitter Hands-Free With Dual USB
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 5

Postby matthew4132 - March 20th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Squirrel.... I am not sure where to start with that. Pics of what? A replaced tailgate? If you can't figure out what that looks like then I can't help you. Also, that does nothing in regards to answering the question I originally posted about wiring and harnesses. Since you provided no help in your first response (and I guess I'll point out that you did not post any pics, thus in your rational, making your post worthless); I went ahead and did the work and took the time to post what I discovered hoping that it could help someone else out some day. I thought that that was the point of this forum. But I suppose you got your number of posts number up... congrats!
matthew4132

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Squirrel - August 14th, 2020, 8:20 am

matthew4132 wrote:Squirrel.... I am not sure where to start with that. Pics of what? A replaced tailgate? If you can't figure out what that looks like then I can't help you. Also, that does nothing in regards to answering the question I originally posted about wiring and harnesses. Since you provided no help in your first response (and I guess I'll point out that you did not post any pics, thus in your rational, making your post worthless); I went ahead and did the work and took the time to post what I discovered hoping that it could help someone else out some day. I thought that that was the point of this forum. But I suppose you got your number of posts number up... congrats!

:? :lol: Why are you being an azzhole? Oh! You didn't get the answer YOU wanted so YOU decided to be a jerk and try to belittle me. LMAO. Go away, boy. :pics:

Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 5

Return to Exterior Mods