Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Rear Bumper STEP PAD - Is/Was it hard to remove?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Illyria69 
#1 ·
2010 Escape:

So I was wondering if anyone had any feedback re: removal of the rear bumper "step pad" (Number 6 on the diagram below) and looked underneath to see how the rear bumper itself looks where it is covered by this step pad. (Well I know some of us here did, because I searched BUT couldn't see any post-removal descriptions of if it was easy/problematic - sometimes innocent looking panels can be nightmares and I am sort of a newb at this stuff)

The WHY of it: I recently "refreshed" the tire hoist "receiver" hole that had a lot of rust on it, and while cleaning it with PB Blaster/Wd40 and a lot of compressed air, I couldn't help but notice that some of that went/flowed down in between the step pad and the rear bumper cover. Now I am curious to see if I can remove it and clean up underneath. Might be a good potential place to look for "future crud/rust" forming area anyway, and clean periodically, methinks.
It is also sun-faded and gray - needs to be removed and painted/detailed at some point anyway.

Looks like it's 2 Torx screws (number 7 on diagram) AND a bunch of clips that holds it on to the rear bumper. (See 2 images below)

See less See more
#2 ·
This thing is a pain to remove. Why? Because there are two pushnuts that have to be removed (that is cut off) from underneath. They are hard to get to.

I sort of address that in one of my Escape video but don't show exactly how it was done because this project was too big to stop and film every detail.

#3 ·
raysfan said:
This thing is a pain to remove. Why? Because there are two pushnuts that have to be removed (that is cut off) from underneath. They are hard to get to.

I sort of address that in one of my Escape video but don't show exactly how it was done because this project was too big to stop and film every detail.

Thanks - I wonder if just removing the 2 torx(?) screws would allow me to lift it just enough to clean underneath with some compressed air and/or some quick detailer spray / water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.