Rear Tail Light Replacement

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

Rear Tail Light Replacement

Postby Captain Chris - August 14th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Ok, I bought an '08 Mariner about a year and a half ago.

I got it cheap ($1200.oo) because it needed work (tires, pads& rotors, ball joints [the welded kind]), and had ~240K on it. Bonus surprise was starter died after 3 days...

SO, 20,ooo miles later, I got that stuff done, and an alignment, of course, and it is still hanging together, (although I just ordered a new CV shaft for LF...) and I am giving a little thought to the looks...just a little, as there's a fairly well established line of rust hiding along all the bottom edges of things, and the wheel arches are showing more obvious corrosion about half-way across...so not sure there any point to doing much.

However, the LR tail light is damaged, along with some cracks in the bumper cover there: NO bulbs are exposed, it's just some pieces broken off around the edges of the taillight and some big vertical cracks, it's fairly high off of the ground, and pretty noticeable, although. even with a nice new lens, the bumper cover cracks are still right there...

So out of curiosity, I priced out a replacement lens, and it seems like, if you can find it, it would be over $200 (the new after market one I found was like $257), BUT (and here it the question!), it seems like the ones for '08 Escape are WAY cheaper, and more available, BUT ARE THE '08 ESCAPE TAILLIGHTS interchangeable with the '08 Mariner?!?

If so, I could buy 2 Escape Taillights, and sell the one good Mariner taillight, and probably come out ahead on the deal!

Any insight would be appreciated!

THX!
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'! Keep these doggies Rollin'!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Captain Chris
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner x 2!
My vehicle's name: No Name; No Fame!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Rear Tail Light Replacement

Postby jaywish - August 14th, 2020, 8:36 pm

I believe all that stuff is exchangeable mariner, escape and mazda.
12 Ford Escape AWD Limited Silver/Charcoal 302a, 17" wheels+Cooper CS5 ultra, Park Assist, Mods-> steps, 16" 6 spokes+Cooper Discoverer Sport M+S snows, Compustar Alarm/Remote Start, Husky floor & trunk liners, Centric front drilled, slotted, cryo rotors & Wagner OEX1047B pads.
89 Merc Grand Marquis Colony Park GTLS, Light Adobe/Tan, Mods = HO, Explorer intake, SS Duals, big brakes fore & aft, auto air shocks, posi, Hella H1's & H2's, 16" HPP rims, police sway, aluminum driveshaft, tranny cooler etc.
03 Merc Marauder DPB/Charcoal, HS, 6disk, spoiler, organizer Mods = M&Z control arms, oil deflector, SilverStars, U-Haul Tranny Pan
02 Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow.
08 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited with HID's Mods = posi, Z rated Cooper 235/55-17 Zeon RS3-A tires, Addco 1" rear Sway, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter 05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Jay
My vehicle: 2012 Escape Limited Awd

Postby OldYeller - August 14th, 2020, 10:04 pm

I did a quick search and found lots of new tail assemblies for less than $90, brand new too!
OldYeller

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2002 XLT
My vehicle's name: Old Yeller

Postby raysfan - August 15th, 2020, 11:55 pm

The Mariner and Escape tail light assemblies are NOT interchangeable. When I got my 2nd Generation Escape (08-12), I liked the Mariner tail light. I looked into changing my Escape lens assembly for the Mariner. The Mariner unit is larger than the Escape's and extends down into the bumper. Go to Google Images and search for 08 Mariner Rear. Then in another window do a search for 08 Escape Rear. See how the Mariner lens has that notch in it. See how it is taller than the Escape's.
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby vpasla1 - August 16th, 2020, 1:38 am

raysfan wrote:The Mariner and Escape tail light assemblies are NOT interchangeable. When I got my 2nd Generation Escape (08-12), I liked the Mariner tail light. I looked into changing my Escape lens assembly for the Mariner. The Mariner unit is larger than the Escape's and extends down into the bumper. Go to Google Images and search for 08 Mariner Rear. Then in another window do a search for 08 Escape Rear. See how the Mariner lens has that notch in it. See how it is taller than the Escape's.

Since OP has a cracked bumper, they could pick up a cheap bumper for an Escape as well if the paint matches. I'm guessing it would work then.

With the Mariner bumper, I'm guessing there would be a gap.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby Captain Chris - August 18th, 2020, 3:03 pm

OldYeller wrote:I did a quick search and found lots of new tail assemblies for less than $90, brand new too!

For the Mariner...?

I found many for the Escape for under $50/set...
Like I said, I am not to fussy on this issue.
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby Captain Chris - August 18th, 2020, 3:07 pm

jaywish wrote:I believe all that stuff is exchangeable mariner, escape and mazda.

Well, I am sure that most of the mechanicals are the same, but, clearly, all the front end body stuff is different...It wont surprise me that the rear body stuff differs as well.
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby Captain Chris - August 18th, 2020, 3:15 pm

vpasla1 wrote:
raysfan wrote:The Mariner and Escape tail light assemblies are NOT interchangeable...

Since OP has a cracked bumper, they could pick up a cheap bumper for an Escape as well if the paint matches. I'm guessing it would work then.

With the Mariner bumper, I'm guessing there would be a gap.

Hmmm, that is something to think about...

That might be what the dealer parts guy meant when he said the bumper rear covers weren't interchangeable... but if I got a replacement bumper cover* for Escape, AND the lights for Escape, maybe that could work...Escape has been fairly popular around here; next time I am out shopping, I will keep eyes open and take a close look...

* My car is that light blue metallic color, and I am pretty sure they didn't use it on Escape/Tribute, so I would probably have to paint it...unless, maybe, a black one would make sense...

Tx, All!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby bangster - August 18th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Light Ice Blue Metallic was available on the same year Escape. The reds and the greens varied between the 2 though.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Captain Chris - August 18th, 2020, 8:19 pm

bangster wrote:Light Ice Blue Metallic was available on the same year Escape. The reds and the greens varied between the 2 though.

Ah, well, TY x 2!

Now I also know the name of the color!

HAGO!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1

Next

Return to Exterior Mods