Fords 4 wd system

Engine, transmission, exhaust, drivetrain, more

Fords 4 wd system

Postby johe - November 23rd, 2020, 4:40 pm

Hi,
Many new makers use Haldex AWD/4WD systems, Honda has it's own as Subaru does. What about the Escape 4wd? How does this awd system work? Is it cluch/pressure diven as Haldex or like the old TorsenDifferential from Audi, not present any more. Early Escape 2001-2002? Had a swich on/off 4wd . Do anyone have my interrest?
i
johe

E-C LEVEL 1
My nickname: Jonny
My vehicle: Escape 2007 XLT 4x4 3.0 V6

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Fords 4 wd system

Postby bangster - November 23rd, 2020, 9:55 pm

They have a PTU that always sends power to the rear. There is a coupling device in the rear. The early gen 1 had the switch between AUTO and ON. In auto, on demand (slip or high throttle input) it would split torque mostly to the front unless slip or high throttle input, then be up to 50/50. In On it was locked at 50/50 (so whatever coupler is in the rear is locked and no slip).
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Captain Chris - December 8th, 2020, 2:27 pm

bangster wrote:They have a PTU that always sends power to the rear. There is a coupling device in the rear. The early gen 1 had the switch between AUTO and ON. In auto, on demand (slip or high throttle input) it would split torque mostly to the front unless slip or high throttle input, then be up to 50/50. In On it was locked at 50/50 (so whatever coupler is in the rear is locked and no slip).

OK, si I just got an '08 Mariner 4WD: is that an old-fashioned hard connection driveshaft to the rear wheels?

Seller said he 'recently' (3-4 K miles) had maintenance done on the transfer case, but I haven't fully absorbed all the dox in glove compartment.

Do you have any knowledge/experience with just pulling out that shaft, and reverting to basic FWD?

TIA
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'! Keep these doggies Rollin'!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Captain Chris
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner x 2!
My vehicle's name: No Name; No Fame!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - December 8th, 2020, 11:39 pm

On my 08 I had disabled the 4wd by pulling the 4wd fuse. It was good for about 2 MPG in the city on my 08 Hybrid. You will have the yellow wrench light on at all times though. If you do mostly speeds over 45 you won't notice any difference as at those speeds the 4wd disables itself anyway.

Captain Chris wrote:
bangster wrote:They have a PTU that always sends power to the rear. There is a coupling device in the rear. The early gen 1 had the switch between AUTO and ON. In auto, on demand (slip or high throttle input) it would split torque mostly to the front unless slip or high throttle input, then be up to 50/50. In On it was locked at 50/50 (so whatever coupler is in the rear is locked and no slip).

OK, si I just got an '08 Mariner 4WD: is that an old-fashioned hard connection driveshaft to the rear wheels?

Seller said he 'recently' (3-4 K miles) had maintenance done on the transfer case, but I haven't fully absorbed all the dox in glove compartment.

Do you have any knowledge/experience with just pulling out that shaft, and reverting to basic FWD?

TIA

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby Captain Chris - January 9th, 2021, 1:34 pm

So they made a AWD Hybrid?

Hmmm...
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'! Keep these doggies Rollin'!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Captain Chris
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner x 2!
My vehicle's name: No Name; No Fame!

Return to Powertrain Mods