Remote start 2009 Ford Escape

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

Remote start 2009 Ford Escape

Postby g_man668 - December 17th, 2018, 12:28 am

Has anyone installed a remote start on their 08-12 Escape? I have been searching the Web to try and find a wiring diagram that would cover which wires are what for the ignition/security so that I don't have to try and figure out what is which with test light and multimeter hopefully someone has done this that could help out!
Thanks
g_man668

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Remote start 2009 Ford Escape

Postby CrocadileUT - December 19th, 2018, 7:37 am

Try this video, he goes into decent detail:

https://youtu.be/wTQOV9zrx80
CrocadileUT

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2011 Escape XLT 2.5L 4WD

Postby Homebuilder1959 - March 4th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Homebuilder1959

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited

Postby Captain Chris - December 7th, 2020, 9:29 am

OK, not sure I'll get traction this way, but here goes!

I just bought an '08 Mariner from 2nd owner...not sure who had the Silencer SL2 system installed, but the people I bought from weren't too tech-savvy...and they lost the 2nd Silencer fob, which, naturally, was chained to an original Ford fob... So I only have one of each. ;-(

Is anyone familiar with this system?

This system has some security features, as well as a remote start feature (which could be nice, here in Minnesota, when I get the control arms replaced, and alignment done...), but, apparently, the deal is that, now, you can't start it with the key!...although you still need the key to unlock steering wheel...AND you can't shut down engine with key; only the Silencer remote fob, and, apparently, it's not too hard to 'pocket start' it when I'm wearing my pre-CoVid jeans! (but that's more of a side-issue...)

So does this system by-pass the 'chip' in the key?
And, would I be able to cut a basic key to unlock the mechanical steering wheel lock, and NOT have to 'program' it? The engine is already running without it...but other electronic systems obviously aren't, until the key is in, and turned, but, obviously, that key chip is an electronic thing, so I don't know how that part works...I had a simple duplicate key made for my other car, $70 at dealer... 8-O

If you know this system, please let me know.

...going to try to hunt up manuals...but I am really more of a 'nuts-and -bolts' sort of guy...

TY
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'! Keep these doggies Rollin'!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Captain Chris
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner x 2!
My vehicle's name: No Name; No Fame!

Postby bangster - December 7th, 2020, 10:30 am

Since that remote start doesn't have a built in method to control PATS or a module to bypass security, I wonder if:
- They taped a key or "chip" near the ignition cylinder (and having another PATS key near it causes it to fail)
- They removed the chip from the key and use it for the bypass for remote start (but with the IKT, I don't think it is that easy, I have tried and failed)

You do have the IKT (key with 4 buttons to lock, unlock, panic and cargo area unlock) right, or is it a regular oval head key?

I assume that the Lock/Anti-theft light blinks rapidly when you try to start it with the key and not the remote start?

Some retailers and automotive places have a tester to see if your key has a chip or not, usually accessible along side a remote fob tester. Maybe see if the key has a chip?
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Captain Chris - December 7th, 2020, 1:06 pm

bangster wrote: ... I wonder if:
- They taped a key or "chip" near the ignition cylinder (and having another PATS key near it causes it to fail)
- They removed the chip from the key and use it for the bypass for remote start (but with the IKT, I don't think it is that easy, I have tried and failed)

Interesting... I did track down user manual, and install manual, so trying to make sense of those; install manual seems written for an educated reader...

You do have the IKT (key with 4 buttons to lock, unlock, panic and cargo area unlock) right, or is it a regular oval head key?

(Noob alert!) Not sure what IKT means: I DO have one orignal (Ford) Keyless entry Key fob w/key.

I assume that the Lock/Anti-theft light blinks rapidly when you try to start it with the key and not the remote start?

I will try and observe that. Still learning how to use the aftermarket Fob. Fortunately, it's my backup ATM.

Some retailers and automotive places have a tester to see if your key has a chip or not, usually accessible along side a remote fob tester. Maybe see if the key has a chip?

Hmm, good idea! I am going to swing by a Ford dealer anyway, to get them to tell me the driver door keypad code.

TY!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby bangster - December 7th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Captain Chris wrote:
bangster wrote: ... I wonder if:

Interesting... I did track down user manual, and install manual, so trying to make sense of those; install manual seems written for an educated reader...

(Noob alert!) Not sure what IKT means: I DO have one orignal (Ford) Keyless entry Key fob w/key.

I will try and observe that. Still learning how to use the aftermarket Fob. Fortunately, it's my backup ATM.

Hmm, good idea! I am going to swing by a Ford dealer anyway, to get them to tell me the driver door keypad code.

TY!

IKT is the all in one key and remote fob. That is what your vehicle should have:

But you still can use the regular "PATS" chipped key and separate fob (this is what I added to my 2012 Fusion):

There are a number of videos on how to find the door code, tool-less, in a couple minutes by popping up the top of the center console, so if they are gonna charge you to get it, might be a good time to try it yourself.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Captain Chris - December 8th, 2020, 2:17 pm

OK, Yeah!
So I have one IKT.
The seller said they had possessed 2 of them, but couldn't locate the second one, when I picked up car; it's only been driven 800 miles in the past year...so they lost track of it...they're only across town, but I think I had better go get the keypad code for the door, so I dont get keys locked in there.

Tx!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1

Return to Electrical Mods