2009 Ford Escape / Electrical problems

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

Postby rmanick1 - April 11th, 2013, 7:57 pm

I have a serious problem and really need help. I own a 2009 Ford Escape with a standard 6 cylinder engine. The other day I was driving home and the Battery Light on the dash went on. The light would go on and off intermittently. In addition, the Dashboard gauges would occasionally lose all power for a brief period of time. The Tach and MPH gauge would go to Zero as if I shut the car off. All during this period of time the engine ran normally and did not stall or shut off.

Another symptom I noticed involves the Heater and Air Conditioner control buttons. I have the standard heater controls and they would stop working and get locked in one position. When the controls are locked, you cannot turn the fan off and none of the control buttons will work. (The heater buttons are electrically controlled) The Heater Control lights will also dim when they are malfunctioning. The fan motor seems to work fine at all speeds. However, if you shut the car off and immediately restart the vehicle, the Heater and Air Conditioner controls will work property for a period of time and then lock in whatever position it is in after a random period of time.

The Power Steering assist will also go out randomly when I am driving. When this happens, I usually hear a “click” noise coming from the dash whenever the PS assist disengages and also when it re-engages. The PS assist is also electrically controlled.

We took the vehicle into a mechanic and had the battery and alternator checked. They did not find any problems with the battery nor did they find a charging problem. The battery is only a year old and was not discharged even thought I was driving with the battery light on. The mechanic thought it could be a malfunctioning diode in the alternator and recommended that the alternator be replaced. We replaced the alternator and that did not solve any of the problems.

One more thing. The problem seems to have started after I left something plugged into the cigarette outlet for two days. I forgot it was plugged in. Shortly after that, the problems began. Not sure it that had anything to do with the problem, but I thought I would mention it.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
rmanick1

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2009 Ford Escape / Electrical problems

Postby tuxtanium - April 11th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Unless whatever you had plugged in drained the battery and you had to boost it after, I doubt that it is causing your issue.

I would be checking the connections at the Smart Junction Box and Battery Junction box. (aka the fuse panels in the centre console and under the hood)
tuxtanium
tuxtanium

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: G
My vehicle: 2014 Ford Focus Titanium HB
My vehicle's name: Black Betty

Postby mozz - April 12th, 2013, 6:27 am

Make sure the battery terminals are clean. I don't mean by looking, testing or whatever, take them off, clean them, then reinstall.
2003 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l 5 speed
2016 Ford Fusion S 2.5
2010 Ford Escape XLS 2.5l Fwd 5 speed SOLD
2012 Ford Fusion S 2.5l 6 speed
2017 Ford Escape SE 1.5 awd
mozz

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE 1.5 sloboost

Postby biggman - April 16th, 2013, 2:03 am

I had an electrical problem with one of my headlights after installing a HID head light kit,the SJB stopped sending power to one of my head lights so I reinstalled the OE setup and took it to the dealership for them to diagnose it ,after a couple minutes the SJB reset its self and fixed my problem so never the less sometimes you have to just suck it up and let the Ford dealer do their thing. I should also mention that when I brought my 2008 V6 3.0L XLT in there was an update for it so they installed it as well.It cost me about $80 so I was happy with the cost.
ImageImage
biggman

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Biggman
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape
My vehicle's name: K.O.M.D

Postby DarkStone06 - April 16th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Make sure they fix it quickly and fix it right! Back when I worked for O'reilly auto parts we had an S10 delivery truck do the same thing. We kept taking it to the dealer and they would say "it's fixed this time" but it would always wind up having the same problem. Eventually management got tired of dealing with it and told us to suck it up. I kept after them about it and told them we should get a second opinion. I told them it obviously had some kind of electrical short and could catch on fire. They basically ridiculed me and blew me off. Then one day I came into work and there was a nice crispy S10 sitting next to the building. I walked in and asked what happened even though I already knew. It had caught on fire under the dash while going down the highway! :doh: The funny thing was it happened to the guy that was giving me the most crap about worrying to much. :hyst:
Lampis Blue 2005 Mazda Tribute 2.3L 5 speed 4wd RARE!
2013 Ford Flex Limited EB with water/meth
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2006 Escape XLS 2.3L 5 speed 70k miles (sold) :'-(
2003 Escape XLT 3.0L AWD 106k miles (sold)
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 4wd (traded for Wagoneer)
DarkStone06

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2005 Tribute 2.3L 5 speed 4WD

Postby hermie - April 17th, 2013, 8:46 am

trace the + power feed cable running from the alternator to the battery
the insulation has melted and the positive power cable is grounding out against the engine block

had that happen to my former ford ranger , exactly as you described
now with all-you-can-eat-BLING
hermie

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: hermie the supreme overlord
My vehicle: 2011 escape xlt
My vehicle's name: the go getter

Postby geno1979 - August 14th, 2014, 2:10 am

Did you figure this out my 2009 is doing the same thing.
geno1979

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby MadMax - August 14th, 2014, 6:34 am

In addition to what else was said here you want to be sure that all your Ford factory updates and recalls have been done especially if it involves the steering.
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0T AWD, Sport Appearance Package, Panoramic Sunroof
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 20

Postby grnmstr - October 18th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I have a 09 Escape Limited with the 3.0L v6 that did the same thing... While driving the Battery Light would turn on and then go off and then a few more miles down the road it would turn on for a few minutes and then go off. I checked the voltage while running and it read 13.8v and was reading 13.5 when turned off. did some research and found out that the Alt has to be generating 14.5v or the battery light will come on. I had the Battery and Alt checked out (in Car) and was told that the voltage regulator was going and that it needed replaced (which is in the Alt). I replaced the Alt with a reconditioned on from Autozone and the Battery light would come on after 2 minutes of the engine running and would stay on, this time. I drove the car for 2 weeks starting and stopping about 25 times a day and 150 to 200 miles a day, with no starting or running problems. Stopped back at Autozone and had them check the system again and they ordered me another Refurb Alt. After installing the 2nd refurb Alt the car is still showing a lighted battery display and it does not turn off. The battery is less than a year old and reads good under load and CCA. I have read somewhere that there are problems with these refurbished Alternators and it has taken some 4 different Alts to find one that worked. May just have to go through Ford and get a NEW Alt. Any ideas??? I have checked for bare wires and checked the ground wire and plug connections and all looks good.
grnmstr

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Noodles - August 18th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Rmanick did you ever get this resoved? I'm having the same issues. Same model & year
Noodles

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Electrical Mods