LED foglights - mini how-to inside (pic heavy)

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

LED foglights - mini how-to inside (pic heavy)

Postby Escape94 - December 29th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Okay so I replaced the OEM fogs with LED ones. Here is where I got them from: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-15W-High-Power-LED-5202-H16-Projector-Bulb-Fog-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-/360721321215). They are made with Samsung LED chips and are 880 lumens in brightness here's what they look like:

I would highly recommend buying a panel remover tool to help with this. Though it can be done (carefully of course) with a flat head screw driver. So first off, remove these plastic body rivets from the wheel well:

It's hard to see but there are three that should be removed (2/3 are removed here). It also helps to have the wheels turned facing the wheel well so that you have a maximum amount of space to work. Next, there are two 10mm bolts that need to be removed to pull the liner back, I found that the drivers side was harder, and so I removed one extra bolt. (if you look under the car you'll know which I'm referring to). Here are the bolts:

They are closest to the edge of the bumper. After that, pull the liner back and reach your arm up and squeeze the tabs on the bulb and remove it. You have to turn the bulb a little to get it to come out. (this part took the longest as the little suckers didn't want to budge. Don't force them, they will come out.) Don't have a picture for this as I would have needed a third arm :lol:

Here is what they look like installed:

before:

comparison:

after (sorry its blurry):

as a bonus here is the third brake light decal I also installed:

Enjoy! :D

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
R.I.P 6/15/2017 :(
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2017 Subaru Forester XT

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: LED foglights - mini how-to inside (pic heavy)

Postby Escape94 - December 29th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Ill post night-time pictures later tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8

Postby ak48z - December 29th, 2013, 10:31 pm

When I changed my fog lights there was no need to take off any retaining clips. There is enough room to fit your arm up underneath the bumper. Took like 5 minutes total to change both out.
ak48z

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Escape94 - December 30th, 2013, 6:29 pm

ak48z wrote:When I changed my fog lights there was no need to take off any retaining clips. There is enough room to fit your arm up underneath the bumper. Took like 5 minutes total to change both out.

What year is your E? The newer ones have that liner between the back of the bumper and the actual wheel wells.

Currently:
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8

Postby ak48z - December 30th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Mine is a 2010, maybe I am missing a piece lol. It is not a giant hole but it is big enough to get a flashlight and my arm into. Luckily there is not much in the way down there. Now I need to research what a normal bumper looks like from underneath :?
ak48z

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Escape94 - December 30th, 2013, 8:14 pm

I'm not sure of any hole by the bumper :? There should be a black liner lining the wheel well, and that is what I had to pull back. Do you happen to have a picture?

Currently:
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8

Postby ak48z - December 30th, 2013, 11:21 pm

It is more underneath the bumper than the side (wheel lining), I'll try to get a picture up in a bit. I'm really curious if I am missing a trim piece or something now.
ak48z

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby KickinUpMud - December 31st, 2013, 12:20 pm

I did the same mod as you going with LED, and I second that you are able to reach up and change the bulb without removing any clips or anything. There is a space just big enough on each side to get your arm up into it.
2009 Ford Escape Limited 4x4
2011 Chevy Malibu 2LT
KickinUpMud

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2009 Ford Escape Limited 4x4
My vehicle's name: ESCAPED ESCAPE

Postby Escape94 - January 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm

I feel oblivious now since I don't know where this mysterious hole is :lol: I know there's a hole inside the engine bay behind the front bumper area if that's what you guys are referring to.

Currently:
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8

Postby KickinUpMud - January 2nd, 2014, 10:45 am

Underneath the Vehicle behind the splitter on the passenger side there should be a small access hole. you will have to wiggle yourself under the vehicle to see it, there is also one on the driver side as well. The hole is just big enough to fit you arm into. Ill see if I can snap a picture later on.
2009 Ford Escape Limited 4x4
2011 Chevy Malibu 2LT
KickinUpMud

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2009 Ford Escape Limited 4x4
My vehicle's name: ESCAPED ESCAPE

Next

Return to Electrical Mods