Adding redundant audio controls

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

Adding redundant audio controls

Postby thesavo - December 16th, 2014, 3:06 am

2008 Mercury mariner. Base without sync and no media controls on the steering wheel. My wife listens to a lot of Pandora radio.

Both the Escape and Fusion platforms seem to share the same looking steering wheels. If so, this expands the list if donor vehicles.

I know replacing the entire wheel is about a $100 expense for used unit. Totally not necessary, the switch panels appear to be removable. Research required. Steering wheel teardown.

I also don't care about having an NGS to program the audio unit to deal with media controls. I'm going to interface with a BT receiver with media controls.

I Looked at schematics and parts lists. The clockspring should already have the two circuits. Fordparts.Com doesn't list a separate clockspring by quantifying w/ and w/o media controls.

My plan is to obtain the switches and swap the blank RH switch panel on the wheel for the panel with swich cut-outs. I will need to obtain the intermediate harness between switch and clockspring.

That would take care of retrofitting past the steering column. From there I would take the pins to a BT receiver with controls.

Required research is to discover the resistance values for the Ford switches.

I would have to do the same the bt receiver.
Then extend the mic to the headliner. Lastly it would need power, naturally tapped from the power point.

My plan is to obtain the switch, and associated wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJBBBL0/re ... Jub0H52XB5

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/5t9up-fo ... -just.html
Attachments
fusion-switches.jpg
Last edited by thesavo on May 30th, 2020, 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2008 Mariner Base

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Adding redundant audio controls

Postby Linna - December 17th, 2014, 3:01 pm

From what I recall reading here OEM steering wheel controls are usually matched to a specific OEM head unit. Were you planning to install an aftermarket head unit to make this job a lot easier/possible? If you want to keep the OEM head unit, good luck! :worry:
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby thesavo - December 17th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Thanks. I have accepted that w/o a friendly dealer, it won't interface with the oem audio unit. I will instead pick up and read the the resistor values with a breakout Box to interface with bluetooth unit from above actually. If I have to, I'll change the resistors in the steering wheel switch to match what the BT remote uses
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby thesavo - July 6th, 2019, 6:53 pm

look likes I am not pre-wired. The Body-side harness leaving the clock-spring does not have wires for pins 8 and 16. I'll probably wire it to BT kit anyway.
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby bluto - July 11th, 2019, 12:11 am

This post is a good reference:

https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24734#p338197

I did a steering wheel upgrade in addition to the sync upgrade on my '08. The original wheel did not have the audio controls and there was no place on the right side to add the switches (the opening is molded into the plastic).

Since I did not have redundant audio controls from the factory, the wires from the clock spring connector going to the radio were not present. Actually there were wires leading out of the radio connector on pins 18 & 19 but they only went a short distance to another connector going into a larger harness which omitted those wires.

It is important to note that there are two different styles of the redundant audio controls. One with sync and one without. The one in your example pic is the sync version. The button that indicates 'speaking', along with the 'phone' and 'ok' buttons are actually on a separate circuit (that goes to the sync module) from the other 5 buttons that go to the pins 18 & 19 radio.

To get everything connected with the radio and the sync module, I needed to add 4 wires to the clock spring connector and then route 2 to the radio and the other 2 to the sync module. If you look at the 13th & 14th picture in the above linked thread, it should be obvious after some study which wires you need to add. I cut a clock spring connector off of a junkyard escape so I could de-pin the wires from it and add them to my clock spring connector.

After the clock spring connector is wired up, you will need to add wires to the steering wheel harness. This is pretty tricky because the airbag retainer spring in the steering wheel holds the wire harness in. I ended up having to de-pin the connector in order to remove the harness from my '08 wheel and put into the new wheel (Note this would not be necessary swapping an '09+ wheel into a '09+ escape, but since '08 uses a different cruise control, it is easiest to move the '08 wheel harness into the new wheel) Then I had to add the second connector for the audio buttons and pin them into the steering wheel clock spring connector by carefully studying the 11th & 12th pictures in the above post. In addition to the 4 wires to that go to the radio and the sync, there are two more wires for power and ground that make the buttons light up when the headlights are on (these actually tie onto the like wires on the cruise control buttons).

So bottom line, it is possible to swap the steering wheel to add redundant audio controls but it is a little tricky. If you use the non-sync redundant control buttons you can ignore all of the caveats above about the wires for the sync buttons. But for your case if you use the sync buttons, it may be possible to tie the two button circuits together so all 8 buttons are present on a single pair of wires to use with your an aftermarket BT device, but YMMV. Good luck!
Current: 2008 Escape XLT
Previous: 2002 Tribute ES V6
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Escape XLT

Postby thesavo - September 9th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Here's my update. I had to replace the Ignition lock module. So i got one from an 08 in the salvage yard. While I was there I got a media wheel. Saddy I forgot to grab some ACM and body-side Clockspring terminals. I'll have to go back for more later.
Last edited by thesavo on May 30th, 2020, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby thesavo - September 9th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Here's my update. I had to replace the Ignition lock module. So i got one from an 08 in the salvage yard. While I was there i got a media wheel. Sady i forgot to grab some ACM and body-side Clockspring terminals. I'll have to go back for more later.

I found that the wheel slide of the clockspring is not documented. The diagrams from Ford only include the Body side.

I will call body side of the clock-spring C218 and the wheel side C218b.
Here is the layout from a 2008 and 2012 respective ly.

<To be added>

### note this post is a work in progress and will be updated in sprints. This message will be removed when editing is done. ###
Last edited by thesavo on May 30th, 2020, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby thesavo - May 30th, 2020, 9:48 pm

Update: I added everything in and it still did not work. I did not change my ACM for one that came with redundant buttons. I ran the wires through the clock-spring, over to C248 in the center stack. I did not have to run them from C248 to C240a. They already existed in C240a. So that did save some effort.

Below is the troubleshooting guide from the service manual for future reference. I went through and checked all according to the pinpoint test F. All my resistance values were a little out of spec by one or two ohms. However I ran the wires long as a test, and they may come down when I trim the wires to length and wrap them in harness tape. The final requirement was to enable the radio buttons in As-Built config.
All the following buttons do work.
  • Vol +,-
  • Seek <<, >>
  • Media(source)

The As-built section for the ACM is 727. The row is 727-01-01 the data I had will be below, and what I changed it to. I found these threads on the forscan forum. https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5345
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... acm#p41889

My original As-built
727-01-01 0040 D08B E0XX
I changed the D to a 9 and the E to a 6
727-01-01 0040 908B 60XX

CodeDescriptionAction
B1117Audio Steering Wheel Button StuckVERIFY that no steering wheel control switches are stuck, and that no steering wheel control switch was pressed during the self-test. If no concern is found, GO to Pinpoint Test F.
B1136Audio Steering Wheel Switch #2 Circuit FailureGO to Pinpoint Test F.
B2404Audio Steering Wheel Switch Circuit FaultGO to Pinpoint Test F
The steering wheel controls are inoperative/do not operate correctlyWiring, Clock-spring, steering wheel controls, Audio UnitGO to Pinpoint Test F
Attachments
Pages from 2008-escape-ACM-copy_Page_1.png
Pages from 2008-escape-ACM-copy_Page_2.png
Pages from 2008-escape-ACM-copy_Page_3.png
Pages from 2008-escape-ACM-copy_Page_4.png
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby bluto - July 3rd, 2020, 8:57 pm

It is great that you figured out the As Built Data change needed to enable the redundant audio controls. If you are not using sync, there is another version of the switch without the extra three functions for sync. It would just have the 5 functions that you mentioned. This is the picture:

steering wheel button.jpg
steering wheel button.jpg (12.53 KIB) Viewed 1233 times
Current: 2008 Escape XLT
Previous: 2002 Tribute ES V6
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Escape XLT

Postby thesavo - July 4th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Thanks. I like the idea of not having the unused switches. I'm debating adding sync. I would use it for phone calls and podcasts.
However, I am not sure the benefit.
I have a bt aux kit. It's made by soundbot and called the sb360. It pairs to the phone, and will play my podcasts, navigation, and phone calls. It has three buttons. I can advance or rewind, I can pickup a call and hang up.

I does not have controls on the steering wheel, and does not take advantage of the front display module.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Next

Return to Electrical Mods