Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

What is that grommet, really?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Escape94 
#1 ·
Over the years several people have pointed out a large grommet on the firewall of the (2012 and earlier) Escape, near the brake cylinder, that is a good place to run cables. It is actually a plug, not a grommet, and the word is that it is where the clutch cable would go if the transmission were manual.

Well... Although I don't actually need a replacement for this grommet, I got curious and couldn't find it on fordparts.com. They don't call it a grommet or a plug. Some Fords have a "clutch cable delete plug" (meaning plug that goes where the clutch cable would go if there were one) but there is none listed for the Escape.

Has anyone with better resources than me actually looked up this grommet and figured out what Ford calls it?

#2 ·
I've run wires through that same rubber boot as well. Was wondering what it was for - good call on the plug for the pass-through for the manual transmission clutch lever :thumb:

You got me curious, so I scoured the Ford Parts website but couldn't find anything, not even details about the rest of the components at the firewall. Perhaps you can try:

http://www.fordparts.com/Default.aspx

#3 ·
The number embossed on it is 5L84-7801C656-AA-EPDM.

I couldn't find it on Motorcraft or Fordparts. A similar plug for a pickup truck was listed for about $105. So if I need another one of these, I'll go to a junkyard! It is easy to remove with your bare hands from the engine side of the firewall.

Fortunately I got a wire through mine without any trouble. The hard part was actually the plastic surface on the inside of the car. It has a punch-out corresponding to the grommet. I punched it out and had to re-secure it with duct tape. If I had it to do again I would not punch it out but carefully drill a hole in it.

#4 ·
from the pic, it looks like the rubber plug they used when building the vehicle to plug the un-needed clutch pass through hole in the firewall.
this is an excellent convenient place to run all your hoses/wires for add ons, gauges, ect from your engine bay to your under dash.

#5 ·
Funny I'm just finding this now. I recently used this spot to run wires for my auxiliary pod lights. The rubber was easy to cut through but the hard plastic part on the back ended up just being pushed to the side. Of the tabs that holds it in place got cut in the process so it just hangs there now.

Here is my thread for anyone interested: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37938

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.